Canyon SLX Seat Post Clamp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scruffmeister

by scruffmeister

Hi All,

I took delivery of a Canyon Ultimate SLX today and have a question if anyone is familiar with this or similar carbon frames. Frame size is 2XS if that is relevant.

The manual implies that the grub nut that clamps the seat post would sit flush with the frame and that as a result a rubber grommet can be put in the end of the grub to prevent water ingress. Both grub and grommet are shown in attached picture.

In reality, to get any sort of clamping I had to tighten the grub until it was recessed by 4-5mm and as a result the grommet won't fit! I've dropped Canyon an e-mail regarding this, but since I'd like to ride it at the weekend am looking for input here!

There's a couple issues/questions I have:

1. If the grommet won't fit, how to protect from water ingress / rusting? Maybe there's some tricks for this?

2. Two grub screws + two grommets were supplied. I assumed one set was a spare. Surely the intention is not to use both grub screws to bring the setup flush? It wouldn't really be possible to have a longer grub screw as would be impossible to do up the grub with the brake attached to the frame. As it is you have to use the tool (a very basic torque wrench) shown in photo.

All input appreciated! Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Is everything ok with that frame? Did you do something wrong? It seems like the carbon around the bolt is ruined and that the surface of the bolt's head itself is really bad...

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Yes it looks cross threaded, when I zoom in something looks wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

kgt

by kgt

If not for your fault I would return this frame asap.

scruffmeister

by scruffmeister

It's a hard part of the bike to photograph due to the rear brake caliper position. I don't think it is cross threaded, but it is certainly a very messy installation. The scoring on the front of the metal thread tube and carbon swarf is exactly as it was out of the box. I'll get in touch with Canyon I think and see what they have to say.

Here is a better photo although I have to say the camera flash picks out imperfections that aren't really even visible to the human eye in normal light! This photo makes it look much worse than it really is.

post_bolt.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Doesn't look to bad in your final photo.
Hopefully it's not a problem and you have lots of happy miles on your [emoji468].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk