Need Advice- BH G7 vs BMC SLR01 vs Orbea Orca

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which bike would you pick?

2016 BH G7
19%
2016 BMC SLR01
62%
2016 Orbea Orca M10
19%

Total votes: 26

trinhxh

by trinhxh

I've caught the cycling bug and am looking to upgrade my current bike...

Some background info: I've always been a cycling enthusiast and have riding MTB for the last 17 years and recently transitioned to road cycling. I'm currently riding a 2012 BH G5 which I've made some small fitting changes (upgrade handlebar, shorter stem). Although I feel like it fits me well and it climbs great, I haven't ridden other frames (other than a Specialized Roubaix) to know much differences. I've ridden close to 3k miles in the last 12 mos since owning the bike and reside in the area with a lot of mountains and I love to climb.... Based on budget, I'm nailed down to three frames; Unfortunately, there's not any local dealers that carry them in order to test ride so I'm looking for some opinion.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

colster

by colster

I recently test rode the new 2017 Orbea Orca M10 and was really, really impressed. I've not ridden loads of top-end carbon bikes, but enough to know what one ought to feel like, and the Orca is definitely up there.
Mine was kitted out with a Sram Red group (except FSA K-Force crankset), Vision Trimax TC24 wheels, Vittoria Corsa Speed G 23mm tubs, and FSA K-Force finishing kit.
Didn't have a scale nearby, but it was light (maybe not crazy light, but I'd certainly say below 6.8). The stiffness was there exactly where you want it through BB and downtube, and felt awesome when climbing out the saddle on some proper sharp steep stuff with enough rake on the fork for it to feel stable while out the saddle.
There is quite a bit of seatpost exposed with their sloping top tube, and with a 27.2mm round post it flexed enough that it was still comfy when we rode over some disused rough roads, surprisingly comfy on a bike that stiff. I purposely took it back down those rough roads and it wasn't skittish, I could plow downhill.
The geometry is really racey, proper seat-of-your-pants handling (I think I had a 120mm stem), but maybe not quite the riding-on-rails handling I'm used to on my own bike (De Rosa Superking).

I can't comment on the BMC or the BH, but I'd say you cannot go wrong with the Orca.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

The truth about bikes in that range is that they're all pretty good. The differences are minor, and subject to personal preferences. Usually you have a favorite when deciding between bikes - one that draws you a little more than the others.

Of the three I'd go with the Orbea, but that's because I've owned 3 Orcas before. They great handling bikes, pretty reasonable in weight, and have made some of the best looking bikes I've ever seen(the Orca from about 2007-2010 is still the most beautiful bike ever made IMO).

BH makes great looking bikes, but in Denmark where I'm from, BH means bra. BMC are just a tad too boring for my taste. I've never been a big fan of almost horizontal top tubes.

There'll be a lot of people telling you to get the bike that fits you best, and that's definately true. But you can also get a bike that suits you 100%, but doesn't appeal you.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

trinhxh

by trinhxh

thanks for the input... I'm actually also leaning toward the Orca too, except now I'm also considering the Bianchi Oltre XR4 too lol :lol: :lol:

kgt

by kgt

Bianchi Oltre XR4 then. By far.

DcGrady

by DcGrady

wait for the new orca
Attachments
19437759_1549661841744675_8895575549038649984_n.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Orbea constantly redo the Orca. I would never buy one.
I would probably buy BMC Roadmachine, if any BMC.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.