Aero Handlebar Internal Cable Routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KrayzieJ

by KrayzieJ

Upgraded my road bike with an aero handlebar with internal cable routing but I'm having issues.
The exit port allows 2 cable to fit but the intake ports only allow 1 cable.
The Intake ports are on the top of the handle bar (1 left + 1 right side)
However, I'm using a Shimano Ultegra 6800 shifters and the brake and shifter cables both exit the shifter on the same side.
Therefore, the brake cable has to make a very sharp turn over the top of the bars and causes a bit of binding.
Am I routing it correctly or is there a better method?

Here is a pic that somebody else posted with the same issue:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, there's a much better way. That is to ignore the internal routing on the outside of the bar. Just route the cable externally on the inside and tape it up. If you want the tops of the bars untaped, then you have a dilemma that you'll have to make some decisions about. I have done some bars where I completely ignore the internal cable routing because it compromises performance (on mechanical systems). It's one of those things I always think about when choosing bars and levers for a particular build... how is it all going to work together? What you are showing there would be completely unacceptable routing in my books, and I would either route the cable externally or choose a different bar.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KrayzieJ

by KrayzieJ

Calnago wrote:Yes, there's a much better way. That is to ignore the internal routing on the outside of the bar. Just route the cable externally on the inside and tape it up. If you want the tops of the bars untaped, then you have a dilemma that you'll have to make some decisions about. I have done some bars where I completely ignore the internal cable routing because it compromises performance (on mechanical systems). It's one of those things I always think about when choosing bars and levers for a particular build... how is it all going to work together? What you are showing there would be completely unacceptable routing in my books, and I would either route the cable externally or choose a different bar.

Yea I was hoping to leave the top of the bars untapeded since I prefer the exposed look and the design printed on the tops....
guess the only other option would be to drill the hole larger but it might compromise the structural integrity.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I wouldn't start drilling around the outside hole as you might create some stress risers allowing a crack to form a propagate further. And that's kind of a critical area in your bars. Just don't mess with it. You said the exit port allows both cables to exit, right. In that case, I think I'd just go ahead and try it as shown in the picture and see if the performance is acceptable to you (it might be). If it is, then all good. If it isn't, well, you know why. But with that cable routing, there is definitely some compromise that you're going to have to accept.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ergott

by ergott

Sorry to see that issue. Not cool and I for one would have liked to know of that problem up front. I would consider that a deal breaker and swap either the bars or the group you are using.

KrayzieJ

by KrayzieJ

Is there a way to route the brake cable on the shimano shifters so they exit on the outside of the shifters?
I see that it is possible with SRAM shifters in this pic to have 2 different route options

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

polaris

by polaris

What bar is it?
.....but it still has to work!