Do you climb on your big ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

^^ This, increasing the speed of the flywheel will affect the reaction/fluctuations of the trainer. I use my kickr on the small chainring as it provides better/more linear control over the efforts. The big ring tends to smooth things out more.
Using Tapatalk

joec

by joec

Good point, I'll have a ponder on that, somthing else to think about on the trainer to get my mind off the pain LOL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

Genuine question. Just came back from Barcelona and climbing crazy steep climbs . For the first time this year had to ride 53/26. In London I climb 3 or 4 cogs smaller.
There is a noticeable difference for me. I just spin that 39 over. The 53 let's me put the power down at a much better point for me
I know this because I tried it. No imagination wingguy a fact.
Many thanks
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:Genuine question. Just came back from Barcelona and climbing crazy steep climbs . For the first time this year had to ride 53/26. In London I climb 3 or 4 cogs smaller.
There is a noticeable difference for me. I just spin that 39 over. The 53 let's me put the power down at a much better point for me
Many thanks

A) What was the question?
B) Which cog were you trying in the 39?
C) It's your imagination.
D) It's not a fact unless you prove it with a powermeter. Which you wont, because you can't, because it's not a fact.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

As someone else had said already, with the gear inch being the same the large ring will result in a higher chain velocity and lower tension as compared to the small ring. Hence it feels different even when the two have identical or very close to identical gear inch. My guess is that the mechanical efficiency of the small ring is still better due to the lack of cross-chaining. Due to the higher chain velocity and the cross-chaining the big ring gear produces more drivetrain noise, which might be perceived as faster and hence more efficient. So in the end I believe it's a placebo effect, one that really do result in a higher average speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

pdlpsher1 wrote:As someone else had said already, with the gear inch being the same the large ring will result in a higher chain velocity and lower tension as compared to the small ring. Hence it feels different even when the two have identical or very close to identical gear inch.

Sorry, but the 'hence' doesn't automatically follow.

No-one has articulated a reason why chain speed and tension would make a difference when the mechanical advantage is the same, hence torque and power output are identical for a given speed.

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:Genuine question. Just came back from Barcelona and climbing crazy steep climbs . For the first time this year had to ride 53/26. In London I climb 3 or 4 cogs smaller.
Many thanks

A) What was the question?
B) Which cog were you trying in the 39?
C) It's your imagination.
D It's not a fact unless you prove it with a powermeter. Which you wont, because you can't, because it's not a fact.

It is a fact and I certainly don't need a powermeter to see and feel where I put my power down best. I don't need a power meter to tell me I'm benching 240lbs do I? I can see it and feel it. I know exactly the best way for me to ride my bike and the most efficient way that's best for me. "experience" I certainly don't need a powermeter to tell me how to go sub 35 up the madone or sub 45 up d huez. Its called athletic ability.
If you think its my imagination that's fine. I'm good with that.
cheers :thumbup:

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Wow, thought this thread was dead and buried.

Xena, so you're going up 18 to 20% climbs in 53-26, which firstly is a mechanical nightmare; huge force and strain in that chain with each link bending on the other.

Secondly, let's assume a speed of 10km/h which would be very good for a slope like that (assuming it's not just 50m long).

In 53 / 26, that's a cadence of 40, very, very low. No pro, or Cat 1 rider I've ever seen (or ridden with) would ride like that.

So maybe you do have 'athletic ability' but you're not putting it to best use. Learn to spin a bit and you'll be even faster.

wingguy

by wingguy

xena wrote:It is a fact and I certainly don't need a powermeter to see and feel where I put my power down best.

Yeah, ya do.

I don't need a power meter to tell me I'm benching 240lbs do I? I can see it and feel it.

Yeah, you can see it because the weights have numbers on, ya girt numpty :lol: Your pedal stroke doesn't have numbers on though, does it.... unless you get a powermeter.

Its called athletic ability.

It's called Walter Mitty :beerchug:

xena
Banned

by xena

cyclespeed wrote:Wow, thought this thread was dead and buried.

Xena, so you're going up 18 to 20% climbs in 53-26, which firstly is a mechanical nightmare; huge force and strain in that chain with each link bending on the other.

Secondly, let's assume a speed of 10km/h which would be very good for a slope like that (assuming it's not just 50m long).

In 53 / 26, that's a cadence of 40, very, very low. No pro, or Cat 1 rider I've ever seen (or ridden with) would ride like that.

So maybe you do have 'athletic ability' but you're not putting it to best use. Learn to spin a bit and you'll be even faster.

I have tried , honest. I must admit the some of the gradients in Barcelona had me at times grinding but for most part I was ok. There are some really huge steep ramps /side streets 20 % 25% etc that go on longer than I had ever previously climbed.
I have hit steep sections before but these went on for a lot longer than anything I have climbed before
I think a 30 maybe 32T at the back and I would be spinning ok "easy"
I found a a back street that I did 5 or 6 reps up and down it was around 2O /25 % about the same gradient as the tough part of Swine lane [ London] but steeper at the top and longer.
It was a really brilliant workout , I took full advantage of the steep roads to try and improve.
Most of the "proper" climbs I have been up have been in France and my gearing has been fine and you only hit the steeper parts in small sections which I can cope with easy.
I was staying right near the Sagrada Familia so I was climbing from the off past the san t pau [ old hospital]
across the main highway and above to a sweeping left turn . Its an amazing way to start your ride. I spun that section easy in my 26 at the back.
On my second ride I knocked my downtube shifter with my knee and I slipped into the small ring so I stayed there for a few yards I had to switch back again it just feels wrong for me.
Maybe I should just stick [ trying the 39t] with it for a few months but I worry I may lose power ? and I enjoy climbing fast or slow . I just like the feeling of it being easy.

I post some pics when I get a chance.

Raccooningtanuki

by Raccooningtanuki

xena wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:Wow, thought this thread was dead and buried.

I have tried , honest. I must admit the some of the gradients in Barcelona had me at times grinding but for most part I was ok. There are some really huge steep ramps /side streets 20 % 25% etc that go on longer than I had ever previously climbed.
I have hit steep sections before but these went on for a lot longer than anything I have climbed before
I think a 30 maybe 32T at the back and I would be spinning ok "easy"
I found a a back street that I did 5 or 6 reps up and down it was around 2O /25 % about the same gradient as the tough part of Swine lane [ London] but steeper at the top and longer.
It was a really brilliant workout , I took full advantage of the steep roads to try and improve.
Most of the "proper" climbs I have been up have been in France and my gearing has been fine and you only hit the steeper parts in small sections which I can cope with easy.
I was staying right near the Sagrada Familia so I was climbing from the off past the san t pau [ old hospital]
across the main highway and above to a sweeping left turn . Its an amazing way to start your ride. I spun that section easy in my 26 at the back.
On my second ride I knocked my downtube shifter with my knee and I slipped into the small ring so I stayed there for a few yards I had to switch back again it just feels wrong for me.
Maybe I should just stick [ trying the 39t] with it for a few months but I worry I may lose power ? and I enjoy climbing fast or slow . I just like the feeling of it being easy.

I post some pics when I get a chance.

53-26 on a x-32 cassette? Or x-26? I know sram calls it 22 but... :lol:
Spring propel viewtopic.php?t=140915
Fall guru merus viewtopic.php?t=155877
Summer carver nonsense viewtopic.php?t=156795

xena
Banned

by xena

wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:It is a fact and I certainly don't need a powermeter to see and feel where I put my power down best.

Yeah, ya do.

I don't need a power meter to tell me I'm benching 240lbs do I? I can see it and feel it.

Yeah, you can see it because the weights have numbers on, ya girt numpty :lol: Your pedal stroke doesn't have numbers on though, does it.... unless you get a powermeter.

Its called athletic ability.

It's called Walter Mitty :beerchug:[/quote

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I spun that section easy in my 26 at the back.

40 cadence is NOT spinning.

wingguy

by wingguy

Ahh poor confused Xena - that emotion you're sensing isn't hate... It's pity.

fa63

by fa63

I have been using my big ring for climbing much more since installing this pie-plate on my bike (11-40 with a compact crank):

:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com