Panaracer Tubess Road Tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

I have a pair 26 mm Gravel King (non tubeless) probably the worst tyres I have ever owned... I have no desire to purchase a tubeless version of them

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

whosatthewheel wrote:I have a pair 26 mm Gravel King (non tubeless) probably the worst tyres I have ever owned... I have no desire to purchase a tubeless version of them

Thank you for your meaningful contribution.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I think he's the 1st person in the world who doesn't love the Gravelkings :D

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

Marin wrote:I think he's the 1st person in the world who doesn't love the Gravelkings :D

A few problems... as a gravel tyre it should have volume... my 26 come at 24.5 width when mounted on rims with a 17 mm internal, so too small.

Also, the profile is not round, there is a ridge in the middle, which is aimed for grip on gravel I assume, but it results in poor cornering on roads... when the ridge disappears (pretty soon), then the tyre behaves better in corners, but it has no longer any "gravel" property.

I have used them in the Eroica and I have to say on gravel they are neither better nor worse than other road tyres of similar volume I had used in the past...

Rolling resistance seems pretty high and they provide a pretty dull ride compared to all the Vittoria range for instance (including the Rubino)

Finally, one would hope for better puncture resistance than a standard 200 gram road tyre, but no, first wet ride I got a puncture... tyres were pretty much new.

All in all, I have nothing positive to say about the Gravel King... and I DO LIKE PANARACER... my touring Paselas are excellent

nachetetm

by nachetetm

whosatthewheel wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:09 am
Marin wrote:I think he's the 1st person in the world who doesn't love the Gravelkings :D
A few problems... as a gravel tyre it should have volume... my 26 come at 24.5 width when mounted on rims with a 17 mm internal, so too small.

Also, the profile is not round, there is a ridge in the middle, which is aimed for grip on gravel I assume, but it results in poor cornering on roads... when the ridge disappears (pretty soon), then the tyre behaves better in corners, but it has no longer any "gravel" property.

I have used them in the Eroica and I have to say on gravel they are neither better nor worse than other road tyres of similar volume I had used in the past...

Rolling resistance seems pretty high and they provide a pretty dull ride compared to all the Vittoria range for instance (including the Rubino)

Finally, one would hope for better puncture resistance than a standard 200 gram road tyre, but no, first wet ride I got a puncture... tyres were pretty much new.

All in all, I have nothing positive to say about the Gravel King... and I DO LIKE PANARACER... my touring Paselas are excellent
I do feel a bit like @whosatthewheel about the Gravel Kings. I have the 32 recently installed in my commuter and came at 29.5 in narrow rims (15c internal). Less than 100 kms with them and i got a pretty bad cut that caused a puncture during a wet ride (and it is always wet here in Bretagne, not the best scenario). I'm not very confident yet with the grip and I cannot say they ride or roll particularly well. They grip less than the previous Schwalbe Marathon racer I had and ride worse than the Challenge Paris Roubaix in my "good" bike. The overall package is decent, grip, comfort and rolling resistance are mid of the road, but puncture protection maybe lacking. They are much lighter thought than the previous Schwalbe, so i assume worse puncture protection is expected.