Where is a good place to sell my bike beside ebay?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aih312

by aih312

Hi,

Need some help, I want to sell one of my Cervelo's (2016 R3), where is a good place to sell it besides Ebay where I get killed with fees and has some relative safety.

Thanks!!

thumper88

by thumper88

Craigslist, pinkbike, slow twitch classifieds.
You will get less in each case than eBay -- but youre not paying eBay fees -- and the potential for scam may or may not be fractionally greater though frankly I don't ship until the money is in my hand so there shouldn't be any worry.
I think it's easy to overlook craigslist for selling nice bikes ...the logic being well, there won't be anyone in my town who wants something as niche-y as this .....but I put the ad up for maybe a 200 mile radius (people will drive for a decent bike) and then people elsewhere looking for that specific bike might well contact you from out of state after searching on All of Craigs or similar service... I sold a bike to buyer two states over that way.
And it's free, so why not?
A LOT of merchandise moves on slow twitch, much of it triathlon-oriented for obvious reasons, but some road bikes move there too, and it's free so again, nothing lost. In all these cases, youre going to want to research the value and have an honest sense of what the bike is worth and go ahead and list it at an attractive price... the price points again, are lower on these as there is no eBay fee, which can be substantial on a bike. Someone still gonna cough the paypal fee and typically the prices on these sites, unlike eBay, always include shipping built into the single number.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Let me guess, you are from the US? 8) :lol: :roll:

This is an internationally orientated forum, when you have questions like this it is handy to mention your location, simply because your question is location specific.

Also its not clear if you want to sell a full bike or just a frameset.

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been having better luck on ebay than craiglist. On craigslist I tend to get a lot of lowball offers or simply no offers at all. The higher price you get on ebay easily outweighs the 13% fees.

I'd start on craigslist/pinkbike and see where it goes if you have time on your side but then turn to ebay if it doesn't sell.

Your local bike store will have an infinite supply of big boxes for wheels, frames, and bikes.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I'm in the same boat. My feeling is that the local Craigslist market really limits the base of potential customers. And the convenience of not responding to lowball offers and arranging meetups almost makes up for the extra fees and shipping. Also if someone needs a 52cm scott addict frame, PM me.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Also look for bicycle buy/sell groups for your state/region on Facebook. Good way to hook up with buyers and also get instant feedback in case your price is out of line.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Try different forums like slow twitch and of course craigslist. Ebay is the last resort.

ms6073

by ms6073

AJS914 wrote:On craigslist I tend to get a lot of low ball offers or simply no offers at all.

My experiences with Craigslist have been quite the opposite in that I get a significant number of offers for considerably more than the posted price. The problem being that the buyer will tender payment via bank draft/cashiers check and I am to rebate a certain percentage of the funds back to the buyer's 'agent' who is to arrange transport/shipment. :lol:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

RoadBikeStudio

by RoadBikeStudio

Craigslist in my area is kinda slow. I reach out to bigger cities when I want to buy/sell something. People will travel if you "give them a deal" :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com