SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

jlok wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 am
I crashed mine as well a few months ago. Glad I didn't change it as I crashed again last week....... got a pretty bad bruise on the RD but it survived. hanger bent and replaced and no tuning is needed after that all work 100%...
The rear derailleurs seem so incredibly robust. My rear suffered quite a bit of cosmetic damage from the above crash...ground down quite a bit of material from the body. This was a pretty high speed crash (41mph) and created quite an impact. It is functioning perfectly after replacing the hanger obviously. Surprised at how tough these derailleurs are.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

You think... my bike slid down in my house .. no damage to the rd..but I had to tune it because it shifted like crap.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

kauphy

by kauphy

I have been using the WiFli version for about 2 months now. I have experienced the RD becoming completely unresponsive a few times (once in every two rides approximately). When I click the shifter, I see the light blink - so it's clear that the RD isn't asleep. It's awake but unable to execute the shift. The solution has been to 'tap' (irony, eh?) the RD with my hand and then it would suddenly start functioning. I suspect there's a loose contact somewhere inside the RD and I find that unacceptable (and it isn't like I ride on P-R kinda roads).

Anyone had similar experiences?

mutellator

by mutellator

aerozy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:18 pm
morganb wrote:Has anyone else ran into interference issues? I thought something was wrong or one of my shifter batteries had died on a ride, but I kept pedaling and eventually it shifted again. I chalked it up to a glitch, but then I was riding on the same road and the same thing happened, and went back again and couldn't shift for about a 2 blocks. I haven't seen this happening anywhere else and am not sure what can be jamming the signal but it doesn't happen anywhere else.
I went on a 2h ride and this happened twice. Strange thing is that only the RD freezes (the RD freeze lasts between 30s to 60s) while the FD continues to work. If it were interference wouldnt both be affected? From what I can tell we have had now 3 people on this forum complaining about the same problem, and always with the RD. Are we on to something? Has anyone reported this problem to SRAM?
kauphy wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:01 am
I have been using the WiFli version for about 2 months now. I have experienced the RD becoming completely unresponsive a few times (once in every two rides approximately). When I click the shifter, I see the light blink - so it's clear that the RD isn't asleep. It's awake but unable to execute the shift. The solution has been to 'tap' (irony, eh?) the RD with my hand and then it would suddenly start functioning. I suspect there's a loose contact somewhere inside the RD and I find that unacceptable (and it isn't like I ride on P-R kinda roads).

Anyone had similar experiences?
I'm now on my second rear derailleur with this issue. The first one (purchased brand new mid December 2017)was replaced two weeks ago and now the brand new replacement is at it as well. Both derailleurs experience the same thing: won't shift up or down for 20-60 seconds at a time; happens at multiple places in the cassette and on both chainrings; occurrences have happened on rides ~60 miles apart, so riding by the same interfering area isn't likely. I've paired other shifters to these two derailleurs and they still don't work for spells, but my shifters work perfectly fine on other derailleurs I've paired to.

This is highly frustrating and honestly makes me wary about continuing with Etap, as I'm not confident racing on a bike that won't shift. Has anyone gotten word from Sram on this issue?

kauphy

by kauphy

I wrote to SRAM and they simply asked me to send it back to the place of purchase and they would be happy to replace it. I asked them for advice on any troubleshooting I can do myself but they didn't respond. I noticed one thing however. I reinstalled my RD and this time was very conscious of the limit screws only *just* touching the derailleur. I haven't had a problem since then. Granted I have only done about 10 or so rides since reinstalling the RD and so I am not confident this has fixed the problem forever. Can someone experiencing this problem try this and report back if it helped?

mutellator

by mutellator

Interestingly enough, when the shop that warrantied the original derailleur installed the new one, they neglected to set the limit screws, so they were backed all the way out (I know, I know...) and the derailleur still froze up. I only noticed the limit screws once I went to inspect it after it starting acting wonky.

Rex

by Rex

I'm having trouble getting rid of gear chatter on my RD from gears 7-11.
Had it tuned and hanger aligned perfectly too and no real difference.
New chain.

All I can think of now is that it's running Ultegra cassettes (separate wheelsets, same noise)

Besides that, I love my eTap!

izza

by izza

Rex wrote:I'm having trouble getting rid of gear chatter on my RD from gears 7-11.
New chain.

All I can think of now is that it's running Ultegra cassettes (separate wheelsets, same noise)

Or 10 Speed chain used by mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rex

by Rex

izza wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 am
Or 10 Speed chain used by mistake.
Pretty certain I don't think so.

Not going to worry about it until I get my new wheelset with a SRAM XG-1190 cassette

yantu

by yantu

Rex wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 am
I'm having trouble getting rid of gear chatter on my RD from gears 7-11.
New chain.

i'm running ultegra cogs as well on KMC chain, no issues encountered. shifts perfectly!

liam7020

by liam7020

Know this thread is about 6 months etc but the present etap is almost 2 yrs old now so I wonder do Sram have any plans in the pipeline for an upgrade, especially given that Campag have now gone 12 speed??
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

liam7020 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 am
Know this thread is about 6 months etc but the present etap is almost 2 yrs old now so I wonder do Sram have any plans in the pipeline for an upgrade, especially given that Campag have now gone 12 speed??

Don't forget Red and Force are 5 years old. Rival is 4 years old. SRAM has an unusually large backlog of updates to make, which makes me think it's all coming at once and the changes will be massive.

I could see Rival going 1x exclusive. Force and Red will probably have a ridiculous SKU list: 1x12, 2x12, mechanical and eTap.

whiteneon

by whiteneon

mutellator wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm now on my second rear derailleur with this issue. The first one (purchased brand new mid December 2017)was replaced two weeks ago and now the brand new replacement is at it as well. Both derailleurs experience the same thing: won't shift up or down for 20-60 seconds at a time; happens at multiple places in the cassette and on both chainrings; occurrences have happened on rides ~60 miles apart, so riding by the same interfering area isn't likely. I've paired other shifters to these two derailleurs and they still don't work for spells, but my shifters work perfectly fine on other derailleurs I've paired to.

This is highly frustrating and honestly makes me wary about continuing with Etap, as I'm not confident racing on a bike that won't shift. Has anyone gotten word from Sram on this issue?
I am on my second separate install of eTap, a little more than a year apart. I actually ended up ditching the first system because of this exact problem. Now, 200 miles into this latest system, it is doing the exact same thing; the RD doesn't respond to shifting requests. Tapping the RD while it is non-responsive seems to cause it to come back to life. I did confirm that my elemnt displays the gear change request, so the RD is receiving and relaying that request. I'm at a point where I can't trust the system. Has anyone resolved this problem on their setup?

sungod

by sungod

whiteneon wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 pm
I am on my second separate install of eTap, a little more than a year apart. I actually ended up ditching the first system because of this exact problem. Now, 200 miles into this latest system, it is doing the exact same thing; the RD doesn't respond to shifting requests. Tapping the RD while it is non-responsive seems to cause it to come back to life. I did confirm that my elemnt displays the gear change request, so the RD is receiving and relaying that request. I'm at a point where I can't trust the system. Has anyone resolved this problem on their setup?
zero issues after > 2years, heat, rain, frozen, rough roads at speed, multiple trips in a bike box

sounds like you have a faulty rd, or if the problem happens in certain locations maybe it's getting knocked out by radar/other powerful rf, i've seen other systems misbehave in that type of situation

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Does anyone else have issues with the limit-screws on the rear derailleur?

I'm using eTap with DT Swiss PRC 1400 wheels and a 11-speed SRAM cassette. The inner limit screw setting cannot be adjusted enough. Using all of the micro adjustments, men derailleur still sits 1 mm on the outside of the largest cog. And there are no spacers on the body. The derailleur has to be moved further inboard which is not possible or the cassette has to sit closer to the hub which is also not possible.

I'm almost neber using the lightest gear bust still...

What to do?
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com