Giant TCR Advanced SL 2 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peted76

by peted76

Decided. TCR Advanced Pro 1 (black and yellow).

With the extra cash I'll get:

Time Xpresso 10 pedals (190grams pair) @ £81 - ordered.
Need to replace my Xpresso 4's anyway as getting a bit knackered - saved 35g

SRAM XG-1190 Cassette 11-28 (167g) @ £157 (this should slot straight on in place of Ultegra 6800 shouldn't it?)
Saving 84g
OR MAYBE, I'll get some new shoes instead of a cassette..

S-Works Power saddle Size 143mm (159g) @ £200 - need a new saddle anyway, really like the look of these.
Saving 11g

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

peted76 wrote:Decided. TCR Advanced Pro 1 (black and yellow).

With the extra cash I'll get:

Time Xpresso 10 pedals (190grams pair) @ £81 - ordered.
Need to replace my Xpresso 4's anyway as getting a bit knackered - saved 35g

SRAM XG-1190 Cassette 11-28 (167g) @ £157 (this should slot straight on in place of Ultegra 6800 shouldn't it?)
Saving 84g
OR MAYBE, I'll get some new shoes instead of a cassette..

S-Works Power saddle Size 143mm (159g) @ £200 - need a new saddle anyway, really like the look of these.
Saving 11g

SRAM XG-1190 will be noisier and won't shift as smooth.
S-Works Power saddle is good upgrade but the saddle is really wide. My 143mm felt like 155mm. Try Toupe and Romin Evo as well.
Keep stock Giant wheels. They are phenomenal.
Giant stock wheels 30mm deep. Very close performance next to Zipp 404 Firestrike.
Fuji SL stock wheels 32mm deep. Far from aero!

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amtbr

by amtbr

[/quote]
SRAM XG-1190 will be noisier and won't shift as smooth.
S-Works Power saddle is good upgrade but the saddle is really wide. My 143mm felt like 155mm. Try Toupe and Romin Evo as well.
Keep stock Giant wheels. They are phenomenal.
Giant stock wheels 30mm deep. Very close performance next to Zipp 404 Firestrike.
Fuji SL stock wheels 32mm deep. Far from aero!
[/quote]

Do you actually own these wheels? I have a 2016 TCR Advanced Pro 0, love the bike, but I dont love the wheels. My issue is braking, with the stock pads they squeaked on braking and the stopping power was bad. I am using Swisstop yellows now, and this has slightly remedied the problem, but not by much.

mimason

by mimason

[/quote]
but I dont love the wheels. My issue is braking, with the stock pads they squeaked on braking and the stopping power was bad. I am using Swisstop yellows now, and this has slightly remedied the problem, but not by much.[/quote]

Swiss stop yellow are not good pads compared to most others available. Squealing brakes is also likely a set up issue. Try Prince pads and dial them in properly and you should be much better off.

jeffy

by jeffy

my understanding is that you are voiding the warranty by using non-Giant SLR pads.

wingguy

by wingguy

jeffy wrote:my understanding is that you are voiding the warranty by using non-Giant SLR pads.

Yup.

mimason

by mimason

He already did by using yellows.

wingguy

by wingguy

mimason wrote:He already did by using yellows.

Not if you wipe off the residue :P

(Maybe)

vilegnus

by vilegnus

peted76 wrote:I require some style advice from the style guru's who reside here please as I didn't want the full compact cranks. I wanted the 52/36 & 28 but is the colour scheme as bad as I think it is or will it be like a red headed child and I'd learn to love it over time?

Really cant see, how chainring size cope with a color scheme.
Go for frameset you like and then buy chainrings you need. as simple as that.

ajmit3

by ajmit3

TCR Advanced SL 2 2016 looks far far far nicer.....

amtbr

by amtbr

jeffy wrote:my understanding is that you are voiding the warranty by using non-Giant SLR pads.

Yeah I decided to take that plunge, pretty sure the yellow isnt coming off. The Giant pads were garbage, piss poor breaking performance compared to the yellows. They felt like they were slipping when I applied strong breaking. I was going through a 4 way intersection and had to stop, not dead stop but quickly, and the breaks just wouldn't do it with the giant pads on.

peted76

by peted76

Guys bit of advise please... I'm still trying to see if I can get the seven month old Giant TCR SL0 - 2016 model the guy selling it has sent me a some pics of the wheels... I've never owned a set of carbon wheels before, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at.. how fast they wear (in comparison to alloy brake surfaces) Would you knowledgeable people please let me know what you think of these please.....
2x pics attached..
Attachments
wheel1.JPG
wheel2.JPG

Brus

by Brus

i opted for TCR Adv SL frame only. By my opinion the best colour combination: it´s white with a bit of black and grey. Delivery time feb/march. Lot of time to get all the parts together and start new season on a new bike :-)

damond

by damond

Brus wrote:i opted for TCR Adv SL frame only. By my opinion the best colour combination: it´s white with a bit of black and grey. Delivery time feb/march. Lot of time to get all the parts together and start new season on a new bike :-)

Do you have a picture of that paint scheme? Cannot see it online!

Brus

by Brus

yes, here it is. It´s from giant/liv 2017 catalogue, Czech release
Attachments
tcrsl.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com