Giant TCR Advanced SL 2 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

damond

by damond

It's a nice paint scheme, that same paint scheme was already available on 2016 collection in some countries like Cambodia"! I believe it won't be available (unfortunately) in much countries here in Europe this year!

Carrots

by Carrots

An upgraded 2017 KOM SL2..... I think I want. Even though I have the yellow SL2 with pretty much the same finish.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjbhM5DWIl/?taken-by=edenbicycles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Carrots wrote:An upgraded 2017 KOM SL2..... I think I want. Even though I have the yellow SL2 with pretty much the same finish.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjbhM5DWIl/?taken-by=edenbicycles

Cool, I've got the Yellow Sl 2 as well. What are your impressions of it ?

LetRip

by LetRip

TCR Advanced SL0 2016 - Size L, Time Xpresso 10 Carbon pedals, x2 Giant Bottle holders, Garmin mount and Cadence = 7.0kg.

Very very stiff BB (86kg rider) and wheels are crazy light and still very stiff.
Attachments
20160922_090352 - 135kb.jpg

Brus

by Brus

finally ready to go. R9150 is still not available here, so i opted for 6870. Size L. Saddle, stem and bars are temporary solution, still i like that italian flag style :-), weight 6.8kg
Attachments
tcrsl.jpg

damond

by damond

that frame is huge for you! You should have gone for (at least) 1 size down!

here is mine with trainning wheels:

Your frame paint scheme is way better than mine!

Brus

by Brus

i tested tcr advanced pro M/L before order and i had a feeling that i need bigger. In their chart i am just between M/L and L (186cm)

damond

by damond

i am 180cm and choose the Medium size! You would have been better with a M/L with a bigger stem but that's just my opinion! Do you have a picture of you on the bike? It looks like you'll be way too stretched with a Large size!

Brus

by Brus

not yet, we have ice and snow on the roads

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

While not an aggressive set up, there is nothing wrong with Brus's fit. What is certain is that there would have been a pile of headset spacers to get his needed stack height on an ML. Assuming that set up is comfortable it is 100% fine. 186 cm can work on a large.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

damond

by damond

Of course there is nothing wrong but that doesn't mean it is the best option right? And what's the point of getting a proper race frame as the TCR and not having it built with a proper agressive fit?

There is no way that massive frame is stable with such a small stem (90mm?)

I am not sure if he needed to had any extra spacer with a ML. With such a small drop there is only one of these 3 options that is right:
- his agility is equal to 0 :D
- he his >60y old
- he still doesn't understand anything about a proper fit

I believe the correct answer is the last but it would have been more helpful to ask before ;)

Anyway, you'll love the TCR! It's a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

damond wrote:There is no way that massive frame is stable with such a small stem (90mm?)

I am not sure if he needed to had any extra spacer with a ML. With such a small drop there is only one of these 3 options that is right:

Dude, if you're going to run around criticizing people's bike fits based on a picture you should really get your eyes tested first. :roll:

There is no way that's a 90mm stem, looks more like 110 to me. And I'd say that's a pretty reasonable 7 or 8cm of drop. Not ultra-aggro but hardly Mamil-sportiver worthy either. Just because you run a frame size down from normal for your height doesn't mean everyone else needs to. And while bikes do look better slammed, spacers exist for a reason and they are there to be used as required.

damond

by damond

Do you own a TCR yourself? While they feature what Giant calls the compact geometry and that's why they have a lot of slooping, they're pretty long frames for the size! My Medium has a 55cm top tube and the Large size has a massive 58cm!! This is more likelly a "regular" XL frame than a L. So would you recommend a 58TT frame for a 186cm person? I would not for sure!

But that's just my opinion, i think this guy would take much more out of the bike with a ML but hey, it's an amazing ride and he'll love the bike anyway!

I come in peace, no need to become agressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

damond wrote:While they feature what Giant calls the compact geometry and that's why they have a lot of slooping, they're pretty long frames for the size! My Medium has a 55cm top tube and the Large size has a massive 58cm!! This is more likelly a "regular" XL frame than a L. So would you recommend a 58TT frame for a 186cm person? I would not for sure!

Long compared to what? The L TCR has exactly the same reach as a 58 Tarmac, 3mm longer than a 58 Evo and 2mm longer than a 58 H1 Trek (which has 14mm lower stack).

If I was recommending a frame for a 186cm person I would first tell them to ignore ETT because reach is a better measurement. And second the L TCR is pretty standard for someone of that height. Depending on other factors they're equally likely to prefer the L or ML.

But that's just my opinion

Sure, but your opinion is based on thinking he's using a 90mm stem, which he clearly isn't. :roll:

damond

by damond

wingguy wrote:
damond wrote:While they feature what Giant calls the compact geometry and that's why they have a lot of slooping, they're pretty long frames for the size! My Medium has a 55cm top tube and the Large size has a massive 58cm!! This is more likelly a "regular" XL frame than a L. So would you recommend a 58TT frame for a 186cm person? I would not for sure!

Long compared to what? The L TCR has exactly the same reach as a 58 Tarmac, 3mm longer than a 58 Evo and 2mm longer than a 58 H1 Trek (which has 14mm lower stack).

If I was recommending a frame for a 186cm person I would first tell them to ignore ETT because reach is a better measurement. And second the L TCR is pretty standard for someone of that height. Depending on other factors they're equally likely to prefer the L or ML.

Yes, and both of those frames are stated as a XL size! So, again, would you recommend a XL frame for a 186cm? i wouldn't!

Sure, but your opinion is based on thinking he's using a 90mm stem, which he clearly isn't. :roll:

My opinion is based on the overall proportions of the bike. Again, the frame is too long to be used with such a small stem and i bet the ISP was cut way longer than the marks it has.

Anyway, end of discussion for me. Happy rides for the owner with the monster of a bike the TCR is!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com