Hunt for a new-dad bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lugan

by Lugan

greentimgreen wrote:Thanks @Lugan - a useful and honest dose of reality. The truth is i'm not prepared, but i'm not sure anyone ever really is. With the help of this post i'm starting to feel that there will be a WW / cycling life-after-baby (recognising a paradigm shift in priorities!), which is reassuring.

Really helpful tips about bike spec / setup. Appreciated.

Yeah, no new parent really knows what's coming. Just be prepared to be fully engaged in your family's needs no matter what comes at you. Be patient about riding bikes, and try not to be disappointed or resentful that cycling will take a lower position on the list of priorities for a while.

gfeldy

by gfeldy

As a mountain biker my instinct is to tell you to go that route but I think a trick WW way to go is a Open U.P. with a Lauf 30mm fork.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

There is some useful advice here from other guys ...

I have two (2 and 4 y/o) so have been through this nightmare/happiest time of life... fatigue in the early months and the need to help your partner/wife will remove any chance of decent cycling miles. Just commute to work, and if you have the energy, do something at lunchtime

Watch your diet and stay active generally to avoid weight gain

Agree sharing of caring so you can both do something you like - e.g. your ride at the weekend. It will be shorter so make it intense. You can do a lot by riding hard.

And once the baby is sleeping ok and you have the energy start the short fast rides early/late in the day, and find some nearby hills for intervals. Time efficiency is everything
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Update: I have taken the plunge and ordered a new bike!

I plumped for a Parlee Chebacco in the end - custom paint (scheme to be simple but bold), Enve M50 '29er' wheels, full Ultegra Ui2, and finishing kit will either be Parlee or Enve...a few details still to iron out!

My son is now two months old, and we enjoy regular long morning walks...I'm absolutely certain he's going to enjoy the Burley trailer when he's old enough (although they say it can be used from birth - bizarrely!). I think it'll be a spring time hobby to be honest, so for now, this will be my new winter bike!

Being a dad has certainly taken its toll on my fitness already, but with an ok diet I'm keeping the weight off at least. Looking forward to finding a couple of hours one weekend to get back out on the road...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

CAAD997

by CAAD997

Check out the ibert child seat ...... I stumbled across it 8 years ago when our little one was ready for bicycle adventures.

* The children get a great view [not just staring at your back]

* Easy to install/remove [the bracket stays attached, but the seat comes on/off quickly]

* It does not upset the dynamics too much

And how about a carbon framed hybrid bike if you want something that not a lot of people have [at least not where I live].

Paint is subjective ........ along with most everything else.

And congrats on becoming a parent ......... your life will NEVER be the same ...... but that can be for the better if you do your job right :)
Two wheelers rock!

corky

by corky

Sorry I thought this was a new sub-niche......a bike to ride whilst looking for a new dad.......carry on....

MoPho

by MoPho

When your kid is old enough, I recommend the Weehoo Turbo trailer, much more fun and easier to pull on trails and even MTB trails than a two wheeled trailer

Check out the website

https://rideweehoo.com

I bought it because I have a kid with special needs and needed something he could be strapped into with a harness. He loves it and I've done a couple 30+ mile rides with him. He's 7 now so it makes for a good workout

I use a Giant Seek modified with hydro disc brakes (from cable)

( I've since slammed the stem and added a longer seat post so a bit more aggressive :mrgreen: )

The second child makes riding really hard unless you can get a nanny

4151zero

by 4151zero

I bought a wahoo kickr about 2 months before my son was born, and used it heavily right after birth...

I still supplement my weekend jaunts, with my monday-friday training on the kickr.

Somehow I managed to lose weight, subsequently pissing off my wife =)

congrats, I'm awaiting the proper helmet to fit him since he's at 44-ish centimeters HC.

BRM

by BRM

Should You Take Your Baby Along?

http://www.helmets.org/little1s.htm