SQ Lab Saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Just a shout out to all the people who struggle find the right saddle.

I have tried everything with no luck and was in despair when I tried SQ Lab. The design is different than just about any other brand. Fundamentally the design allows you to perch on your sit bones, but as you roll forward into a lower position you can control how much pressure is on everything else depending on how you position your sit bones. Complete comfort how you want it.

The North American distributor is Radsport USA. Their website is not quite up to date as far as the newest product goes but should be soon. I recommend taking a look at the German website to get a sense of the latest offerings and learning about the tech.

For the weight weenies there is a 150 gram carbon version. I am currently testing one of their active models. The technology works brilliantly.

If you aren't happy with your current saddle you owe it to yourself to try SQ Lab.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Did you try the new ErgoWave?

You should go ahead and try Cobb saddles to.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Haven't tried the new Ergowave. I don't believe they are available in North America quite yet. A couple more weeks and I should have my hands on one. I am actually testing one of the mountain bike saddles. Same design as last years road model, just longer. I expect ergowave to be better. Same concept.

Cobb are freaky looking things. Not a fan. SQ Lab succeeds in relieving pressure without a channel. Channels are nice but they have the unintended effect of increasing pressure on either side of the channel. This can create discomfort on the forward part of the Ischium (look it up if you are not clear on pelvic anatomy). This was my issue as opposed to numbness of the wedding tackle of which some cyclists complain.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I think SQ Labs uses the drop shape instead of channel, only to make the active part work.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

tarmackev

by tarmackev

They look pretty cool, 150g and €190 isn't too bad either for a new product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wheelsONfire wrote:I think SQ Labs uses the drop shape instead of channel, only to make the active part work.

No, the active part would work no matter what the shape. The ledge or drop in the seating areas is all about managing pressure on soft tissue.

The active feature is simply the suspension of the area under the sit bones. The saddle is attached to the rail at a central point and each side sits on piece of rubber. At the very least makes for a comfy ride.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Mr.Gib wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:I think SQ Labs uses the drop shape instead of channel, only to make the active part work.

No, the active part would work no matter what the shape. The ledge or drop in the seating areas is all about managing pressure on soft tissue.

The active feature is simply the suspension of the area under the sit bones. The saddle is attached to the rail at a central point and each side sits on piece of rubber. At the very least makes for a comfy ride.

Isn't the deal with the Active feature that it allows the shell to rock side to side around that central point, so that the saddle shell can kind of "self align" with your pelvis as you move through the pedaling motion?

I think he might have meant that it would be more difficult to get that type of movement out of a shell that was split down the middle, effectively allowing each side to move independently to some degree rather than rocking back and forth as a unit.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

There must be some rocking of the whole saddle, but there is a surprising amount of independence between the two sides. I can push down one side with my hand and the other side barely moves. When I ride I don't feel the saddle tilting at all. Whatever is happening, it feels damn good. I feel less interference with the pedal stroke under my ass. The whole thing just moves with me very naturally. Absolutely no sense of instability either. Just great.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It will be interesting to see when the carbon 6.1 is introduced.
SQ says it will be available for Eurobike 2016.
However, it will cost a great deal.

I would surely like to test this saddle.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

There are two carbon options in the new 612 model. One has the active feature which makes it heavier (200+ grams) and one without the active feature that comes in at about 150 grams. They will be $250 and $200 dollars respectively in the US. A relatively reasonable price IMO.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Carbon rail version, postponed for second or third time.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com