Upgrading A Specialized Allez

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JamesGRC

by JamesGRC

Just saw an old post about a kalloy stem. Anyone reccomend them?

gravity

by gravity

Kalloy is basically an UNO branded stem -- they are the same. There's one thread about UNO with loads of good info. Get a Ti bolt for the stem.

My opinion on ur situation is: 105 is fine, so is ultegra. Mix-n-match? Great idea! Fulcrum 40? Nice nice nice.

Don't get too stressed or caught up with the equipment; they are all fine based on what you have shortlisted. Wear and tear is normal for cables, brake pads etc and shimano's parts wont break a bank. Find a good mechanic to set up your bike and enjoy the ride. Good luck and have fun!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Your first upgrade should always be rubber.
What tyres do you have now? You might be able to save a half kg or so if your bike came, as most do, with heavy tyres and tubes.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Philbar72 wrote:here's what I'd get for a crit Allez.

1) hunt aero race wheels. £399, not the lightest but spin up well and roll nicely. only 31mm deep though so the aero part is a bit misleading. very comfy yet react well to jumps and sprinting, hubs are excellent btw. or alternatively farsports carbon wheels ( 35 or 50mm) various prices.
2) New groupset - I'd suggest a hybrid of 105 5800 shifters, a dura ace 9000 front mech and a ultegra rear mech.
3) a chainset that can cope with racing so dependant on what you are targeting, perhaps a 52/36 or 53/39 ultegra or other similar chainset. if you want it to be adjustable, maybe go rotor and get some TA Chainrings as they are decent bang for buck.
4) rest goes on contact points, saddle and bars. if you need an upgrade. maybe a carbon seatpost?

Re dura ace front mechs they shift wonderfully! and especially compared to Ultegra/ 105. I've used 5800/6800 and 9000.

F45

by F45

JamesGRC wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:I'd skip the aero wheels in that price range and go for a hand build wheel like this:

https://youtu.be/t33NVHReU0c

What about bora one 50s? They're about a grand or mavic cosmic pro carbon? They seem OK. I was thinking of getting a mix of ultegra, 105 and FSA group set maybe some parts second hand as I know people who that has worked for. Any thoughts?

Here's what I'd do if I was 16:

Get a full 5800 group, in black. 350 pounds. Mixing and matching Shimano groups is a waste of time.
Get a friend to help me build a BikeHubStore wheel kit with the XR31T and CXrays. http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/219.htm 300 pounds.
Conti 4000SII tires, fattest you can fit in the frame
UNO stem (15 pounds) Great stem.
Carbon aero bar (200 pounds)
Hylix carbon seatpost (40 pounds)

and I'd be on the lookout for a second hand Red crankset to swap out when I see it for a few hundred gram savings. Without rings the Red BB30 is 370 grams. Add Praxis rings to save a bit more over the stock sram rings.

You have a nice frameset. No need to change it. t

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

JamesGRC wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:I'd skip the aero wheels in that price range and go for a hand build wheel like this:

https://youtu.be/t33NVHReU0c

What about bora one 50s? They're about a grand or mavic cosmic pro carbon? They seem OK. I was thinking of getting a mix of ultegra, 105 and FSA group set maybe some parts second hand as I know people who that has worked for. Any thoughts?

I's rather choose the wheels in my bike to match the group they are working with. I know in the US you can easily put a set of boras at work with a shimano or sram group. But in my european eyes that is just not right.
Skip mavic, those wheels are just silly. The only wheels that are worth their money are the Aksiums and the CCU. solid and durable. all of the others, over hyped marketing crap.

Please do not go for a mix and match groupset for budget purposes. Get either a full Sram, Shimano or Campa group.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!