Short reach tall head tube frame option.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Ahh yes, that too - I don't like where the rear brake is mounted on the Solace, though, and don't understand why an endurance / fondo / sportive / comfort bike would have it mounted down there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

I have the same predicament - tall with long legs - and ended up on a custom frame (58.5cm TT, 22cm HT, 13cm drop). You can get some very nice custom frames in Italy for reasonable prices.

To help choose between existing frames I set up a stack-reach calculator for my needs: I figured out once the stack and reach of my handlebars (at the stem) and can input the stack and reach of a frame and work out which spacer / stem combo will get me to my desired fit. Found that pretty useful.

----
No longer in the industry

DvanW

by DvanW

I found this site quite helpful: http://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-xxl ... 2-63-64cm/

Looking at a Domane myself

CBJ

by CBJ

Same here tall with long legs and long femur. I first had a Specialized Roubaix but now I have a GT Grade. I like the Grade better. I'm 187cm and ride a 56cm Grade with a 90mm stem. I think a lot of the new endurance bikes would be what you are looking for. There is also the new BMC endurance bike forgot the name.

tibikeboy

by tibikeboy

I have similar problem (poor flexibility) and always got low back pain after a short time on the bike.

I switched to a Neilpryde Zephyr which is on the list RichTheRoadie provided. It definitely fits the bill of short reach and tall head tube option...It definitely helps out a lot to alleviate the lower back pain.

I assume that you are located in the US.

Arts Cyclery has the Neilpryde Zephyr on closeout in M and L sizes. The link is below:
http://www.artscyclery.com/Neil_Pryde_Zephyr_Ultegra_6800_2014/descpage-NP4ZR8.html

Let me know if you have any questions on it.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

The Parlee Altum, as well.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

I did some more measuring and popped by a local fitter. I'm going to get something scheduled in the near future. Initial reaction from a glance is that my 595 (which I absolutely love the handling of) can fit quite well if I'm willing to take the visual consequence of a tall stem. Being that we are already in July, I may go this route/spend the rest of the season getting my fit dialed. If I still can't get over the shame of the aesthetics, I will at least have the precise riding position dialed and can work backwards in finding an off the shelf option or getting it over with and go custom. The off season will help fill the order lead time in either way, and the 3-6k I'm sure replacing the Look will cost will be content in my bank account.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Right approach, IMHO - well done for being sensible about it.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

RichTheRoadie wrote:Right approach, IMHO - well done for being sensible about it.

Thank you for the words of encouragement....

It helps that I love the bike. It feels very stable/smooth despite being stiff. Having ridden it both with and without an elastomer in the E-Post, it is incredible how effective the design is. I love the lugged carbon look (no pun). Literally the only thing I think I would change about the bike is simply raising the head tube height to allow for a flat stem... (for me).

AZK

by AZK

abrown3mtg wrote:I did some more measuring and popped by a local fitter. I'm going to get something scheduled in the near future. Initial reaction from a glance is that my 595 (which I absolutely love the handling of) can fit quite well if I'm willing to take the visual consequence of a tall stem. Being that we are already in July, I may go this route/spend the rest of the season getting my fit dialed. If I still can't get over the shame of the aesthetics, I will at least have the precise riding position dialed and can work backwards in finding an off the shelf option or getting it over with and go custom. The off season will help fill the order lead time in either way, and the 3-6k I'm sure replacing the Look will cost will be content in my bank account.

A few 'alternative' options to think about - millimeter weenies

The Yoga for Cyclists Book by Lexie Williamson combined with some foam rolling dramatically helped me get into a more aero position while maintaining comfort & power.

Not to mess with your fit but longer cranks (to match your longer legs) can also help. 5mm longer cranks will let you drop seat/stem by 5mm.

lower stack pedals like speedplays will do the same, another 2mm?

Is there a Generic Specialized Vias style bar around worth considering? if you like the aesthetics.

28mm front tyre and 25mm rear (enve found wider front rims vs narrow rears are faster)..... or is that going to far :noidea:

velomane

by velomane

Thanks for the book reference, AZK.

jever98

by jever98

A major difference for me was to move to mid-foot cleats. Combined with low stack pedals and shoes I dropped more than 3cm in saddle height. The handling improvements were very noticeable.
----
No longer in the industry

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

abrown3mtg wrote:Any chance you have that in spreadsheet form?

Yes, but it's taken me years of data entry to compile it so I'm not eager to email it away. :-(

Anyway, it comes back to your individual needs: a list of tall/narrow frames is more helpful if you give the range of frame stack you're looking for.

What stack would let you reach your preferred handlebar height?
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

DamonRinard wrote:

Yes, but it's taken me years of data entry to compile it so I'm not eager to email it away. :-(

Anyway, it comes back to your individual needs: a list of tall/narrow frames is more helpful if you give the range of frame stack you're looking for.

Fair enough! I will get in for my fit and let you know. I very much appreciate willingness to share once I get the range!

RedRacer

by RedRacer

DamonRinard wrote:

Damon

Your hard work will pay off with a lot of thanks from those of us who could really benefit from being able to zero in on frames that offer ideal S to R specs.

I am looking for a fast frameset (to me this means stiff, light and ideally somewhat aero) around 600mm Stack and 400mm Reach. Any standouts on your list?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com