Silver Crankset recomendations?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JLS

by JLS

Hello,

I am looking at replacing my black 105 5800 crankset with a silver one to match the rest of the components but find the new shimano cranksets look ugly.

It will be going on a blue caad 7 i will post some photos tommrow of the build in progess.

Does anyone have any suggestions for non shimano double compact or semi that have more of a classic look in silver that are nice and stiff.

I am not too woried about weight if they look good 8)

Also it would need to be compactible with a BSA bottom bracket shell.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

What about a 10 speed DA7900 crank............. still see a number for sale, oh and no problem working with either 10 or 11 speed
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Try and find an R600 (105) or R700 (Ultegra), these were the 110 BCD equivalents in the 5600/6600/7800 era.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

CAAD7 is BB30, no?

SiSl -> polish them to silver finish.

JLS wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for non shimano double compact or semi that have more of a classic look in silver that are nice and stiff.

beanbiken wrote:What about a 10 speed DA7900 crank............. still see a number for sale, oh and no problem working with either 10 or 11 speed

raisinberry777 wrote:Try and find an R600 (105) or R700 (Ultegra), these were the 110 BCD equivalents in the 5600/6600/7800 era.

Did either you actually read the OP?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

prendrefeu wrote:Did either you actually read the OP?

Yep, but looking at the line for a more "classic" look non-shimano 4 spoke..... feel free to ignore
BB

Coffee & carbon

2lo8

by 2lo8

He said he found the new Shimano cranks ugly. R600 is closer to Tiagra level. R700 is Hollowtech I. Neither are readily available, although I have to say FC-5600 is aesthetically one of my favorite cranks. You can pick up a FC-5750 (Hollowtech I) for cheap, it's fairly light with a BB-9000. It's actually lighter than FC-5850 if I remember correctly, but you'll have to source mid-compact rings elsewhere

As far as the SiSl goes, did you actually read the OP? It's a CAAD7, it needs to be BSA compatible.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

2lo8 wrote:As far as the SiSl goes, did you actually read the OP? It's a CAAD7, it needs to be BSA compatible.

I did, hence the "no?" in my statement.

CAAD7 (plural) in the Saeco edition were BB30.

2lo8

by 2lo8

He also said it was blue. Did you read the OP?
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes. A color of frame does not negate edition.
Repaints happen.

Hence, the "no?"

Is it so wrong that a person can suggest the SiSL for a Cannondale?
Is it so wrong that the OP did not want Shimano and someone suggests a non-Shimano crank?

2lo8

by 2lo8

I'm just saying, it's only as wrong as much as implied by asking if someone actually read the OP.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

JLS

by JLS

Yer the older shimano cranks are not too ugly i have got a good deal on a Rotor 3DF which i am tempted to get as to my knowledge it is compatabile with a BSA frame using the rotor BB.

It could look good with the black anodizing removed if that is not too difficult.

(somthing like this)

2lo8

by 2lo8

I always thought it would look good polished with the flutes and all. I wanted a Rotor crankset for the longest time just because the flutes reminded me of NR cranks.

Rotor's UBB is compatible with BSA with a BSA30 bottom bracket because the spindle is long enough for a 68mm shell plus external bearing cups. Keep in mind there's no dust sleeve on the Rotor bottom bracket, so water and grime that find their way down your seat tube will end up on the unprotected spindle and bottom bracket.

Also keep in mind that unanodized aluminum will tarnish very easily. The oxidized surface layer it develops from being in contact with oxygen in the atmosphere is not nearly as robust as anodization, and may requires lots of touch up. And obviously it will most certainly void your warranty. Also, not sure if the 3DF has non-aluminum plugs for the bores.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

JLS

by JLS

2lo8 wrote:I always thought it would look good polished with the flutes and all. I wanted a Rotor crankset for the longest time just because the flutes reminded me of NR cranks.

Rotor's UBB is compatible with BSA with a BSA30 bottom bracket because the spindle is long enough for a 68mm shell plus external bearing cups. Keep in mind there's no dust sleeve on the Rotor bottom bracket, so water and grime that find their way down your seat tube will end up on the unprotected spindle and bottom bracket.

Also keep in mind that unanodized aluminum will tarnish very easily. The oxidized surface layer it develops from being in contact with oxygen in the atmosphere is not nearly as robust as anodization, and may requires lots of touch up. And obviously it will most certainly void your warranty. Also, not sure if the 3DF has non-aluminum plugs for the bores.

Yer it does look good, from what i have read the touchup wont have to be done that regulary to keep it looking good. Also warranty wont matter as they will be second hand.
I will have to check about the plugs.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The White Industries one looks great on a skinny steel frame, but might not be a perfect match for the oversized tubes of a CAAD.

Sugino is often overlooked. They often come in different lengths and BCDs.

EXP110-601D (via suginoltd.co.jp)

OX901D (via suginoltd.co.jp)

The Mighty also comes in 130BCD -- Comp.Road - 901D (via suginoltd.co.jp)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidalone

by davidalone

No love for the DA 7800 crank? it is one of the best cranks out there, BSA compatbile, silver, and can be got for pretty cheap nowadays.