CeramicSpeed BB - really worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

solarider wrote:If you have shaved every last % of body fat, have optimised your power output, have invested in a super nice bike and want that finishing touch then yes they are worth it.

If not, I would look elsewhere for performance advantage.

Having said that, a little bit of bike bling never does anybody any harm right?! Hard to justify objectively, but so are half of the things that we buy!

Sometimes I buy parts just to get the placebo effect :D I think in the case of ceramic BB or pulleys the placebo effect is much greater than the actual mechanical performance gain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomColnago

by TomColnago

perwjensen wrote:
TomColnago wrote:I am using a rotor steel pf4130 bb and it spins nearly as good as a ceramic bb. I was adamant I was going to have a smooth bb so I removed the seals of the rotor bb and it was packed full of thick grease so I flooded the BB with a degreaser and then oiled it with WD40 (please don't kill me for using WD40 :lol: ). The bottom bracket is now super smooth maybe not ceramic speed coated smooth but it is working well with no creaking or rust. :D

It's super smooth at no load, once you apply load you're going to realize it won't last that long and actually have higher friction.

Had the chain off and it still spinning as smooth as thever day I removed the grease so the WD40 trick is still working :thumbup:

addictR1

by addictR1

TomColnago: that's good to know it's still working well. i'm running hawk racing BB86 right now and still waiting for it to break in some more. i've emailed them about how to open it up to service it, which i'm surprise to hear they do not recommend opening it up to service it and just need to wipe off the outside and use some white lightning lube on outside to let it soak in.

eric01

by eric01

Consider ceramics only if you've optimized the rest of your bike. Wheels especially.

Was on a group ride a few years back and this guy was telling me how he upgraded all his bearings to ceramic and said he thought it was amazing. I looked at his wheels and he was riding Ksyrium elites. Not a bad set of training wheels but he should have spent that same cash on better wheels.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

reknop

by reknop

rbrtwyn wrote:So many more options than Kogel or Hawk. Try Enduro, VCRC, F1 Ceramic or C-Bear for some that have a track record similar to Ceramic Speed. Ceramic Speed is worth the money, but if on a budget, F1 Ceramic is similar (same grade, coated options) for much less.

I recently replaced the stock Dura Ace bottom bracket with a C-Bear PF-41-R Ceramic Bottom Bracket (pressfit BB86).
A well designed high quality product with good seals and for an impressive price-point of E89,-.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm running hawk racing bb86 on mine and the feeling i got when riding was that it feels easier to pedal as compared to before and at time felt like you are stepping into an empty hole... kinda like when you are walking and then suddenly walk into a pothole feeling. but because of having that feel.. it makes you naturally want to pedal faster, which might be the reason why it feels faster?

i thought maybe it's the Rotor QXL that gave me that feel, but my buddy that has the CS installed with SRAM RED crank had the same feeling when he's pedaling.

cjc

by cjc

In my experience, CeramicSpeed BB and ROTOR Ceramic BB is little lightness and low durability.

raffal

by raffal

I've heard that you would be able to save a half of sprocket when you ride. But I think it is just too expensive for a small change

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I should ask a question which is (perhaps) off topic.
But can ceramic speed really rival this?

Our Newest Self Lubricating, Self Healing bearings, the fastest most reliable bearings we have ever produced. NanoTec substrate treated races (whole bearing), giving the fastest bearings,compare to any on the market, that is our challenge!
MORE DETAILS....

http://www.ultimateceramicbearings.co.uk/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

fh8425

by fh8425

reknop wrote:
rbrtwyn wrote:So many more options than Kogel or Hawk. Try Enduro, VCRC, F1 Ceramic or C-Bear for some that have a track record similar to Ceramic Speed. Ceramic Speed is worth the money, but if on a budget, F1 Ceramic is similar (same grade, coated options) for much less.

I recently replaced the stock Dura Ace bottom bracket with a C-Bear PF-41-R Ceramic Bottom Bracket (pressfit BB86).
A well designed high quality product with good seals and for an impressive price-point of E89,-.

+1. i also replaced the DA bb to C-bear threaded ceramic BB ... value for money IMO... USD108 plus fitment. Very smooth .

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I just installed F1 ceramic on new bike, and without the chain on my cranks can only spin a round. Hope it makes up with longevity....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I'm very cynical about any gains to be had from ceramic bearings. On bicycles, we're talking 100rpm, and relatively low powers. Heat build up in bicycle bearings is almost indetectable. Ceramics were designed for high speed (1000 to 30 000rpm) applications.

In any case, to get the supposed gains from them, they need to run either dry or with a small amount of very light oil. And yet, because bikes are ridden in poor conditions and noone wants their bearings warrantied in 3 months, they come packed with grease. And if a ceramic bearing is stuffed full of waterproof grease, there is no way it can show any gain over steel.

To get the same effect on the cheap, and in dry summer conditions, flip off your bearing seals in your BB (or wheel, etc.) clean out all traces of grease with WD40 or similar, then lay bike on it's side and add a few drops of light cycle oil. This will then pool in the bottom of the race and act as a reservoir. Hey presto, your bearings should now spin super smooth!

(N.B. This method required regular cleaning / re-oiling).

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

Kayrehn wrote:I just installed F1 ceramic on new bike, and without the chain on my cranks can only spin a round. Hope it makes up with longevity....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You didn't install it correctly.

AJS914

by AJS914

The whole thing about people being delighted by a fast spinning crank is snake oil. It doesn't translate to gains at 75-120rpms. Even that UK vendor's chart posted above said the benefit was .2 watts. First, being a vendor claim makes it suspect and second, .2 watts is nothing, and third, if you want to pay $350 for a bottom bracket then you drank the coolaid.

I packed my Super Record Cult bearings with grease because there's no reason not to, they will be better protected, and I didn't want to have to oil my bottom bracket every three months.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

AJS914 wrote:The whole thing about people being delighted by a fast spinning crank is snake oil. It doesn't translate to gains at 75-120rpms. Even that UK vendor's chart posted above said the benefit was .2 watts. First, being a vendor claim makes it suspect and second, .2 watts is nothing, and third, if you want to pay $350 for a bottom bracket then you drank the coolaid.

I packed my Super Record Cult bearings with grease because there's no reason not to, they will be better protected, and I didn't want to have to oil my bottom bracket every three months.

^ I do read numerous articles saying free-spinning cranks are no indicator of reduced watts but just thought it's a given for ceramic BBs. I didn't get it for the watt savings actually (actually it's for weight savings ha) so that doesn't matter. Didn't install it myself anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com