EE-brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

judging by the picture of the madone below, the way the headtube sticks out in front of the fork looks like it might foul on the ee brake as the cable enters centrally rather than at the side

depends how far the brake stands off from the front of the fork though, might be possible to add spacers to give extra clearance

marcelflash

by marcelflash

My canecreek regular front and rear came in at 84 and 86 gram out of the box with cable adjuster, the nut and silver ring.
Came from BR-6800 and had old zerogravity and M5 brakes but these look way better and durable than them.
Any comments on wear or play?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipaul

by ipaul

Going to jump on this thread instead of starting a new one. I recently picked up a set of the newer style ee brakes and noticed a few things that I'm not sure are normal. Setting up using a Mavic Cosmic wheel (width 19.5 mm) and the metal adjusting nut seems awfully close to bottoming the quick release arm. In fact its scuffed up the inside of the arm. My cable alignment is good but will need to back out the screw a bunch. Currently using the standard washer set up but not clear if I need to add more? Also, on the front, the cable screw fits nicely between the release arm which allows for the extra travel. Unfortunately the rear does not as there seems to be a slight misalignment of the arm.
Is this typical and should I be concerned? Just hate for the brake to jam when pulling hard.
Thanks
Paul
ImageIMG_2763 by pasoldo, on Flickr
:P

marcelflash

by marcelflash

Mine touches too but only all te way in with I think a small rim will do. just use more washers under the brakepad holder and pull the cable tighter and the cable adjuster more out. And beware of pad wear.

sungod

by sungod

might be due to lighting/angle, but the adjuster above the lever looks odd to me

can you take an image from just a bit further back to show it fully and in focus?

as above, try adjusting number of washers/cable

ipaul

by ipaul

Thanks guys. Here's another shot. As mentioned the front straddles the nut much cleaner so figure I'd ask the questions.
Just curious is the straddle effect part of the design intent, or is the goal to keep the adjuster from coming close?

ImageIMG_2761 by pasoldo, on Flickr

sungod

by sungod

still looks odd to me, i found a couple of images similar to how mine looks (these pics aren't of mine)

note the angle that the threaded adjuster makes as it goes through the lever, on yours i get the feeling it's a sharper angle, also maybe not passing through straight for some reason

did you fit both spacers each side?

ipaul

by ipaul

In regards to spacers, I'm assuming you are referring to brake blocks. Yes using as it comes when shipped, 1 black and the silver style equal on both sides. the cable adjuster rocker seems to be seating well, and I have rotated around to see if that would help but didn't make a difference. I'll try another set of wheels to see if a wider wheel sheds some light.
I've also reached out to Cane Creek, however they never seem to get back but we will see what they say.
Thanks for the help.

sungod

by sungod

ipaul wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:37 pm
In regards to spacers, I'm assuming you are referring to brake blocks. Yes using as it comes when shipped, 1 black and the silver style equal on both sides. the cable adjuster rocker seems to be seating well, and I have rotated around to see if that would help but didn't make a difference.
ok, that may be the problem, with 19.5mm rims you should have two of the black spacers each side (plus the spherical washer)

from the instructions... 19mm to 20mm wide rims. Use 2 spacers on each side

https://www.canecreek.com/resources/eeb ... ctions.pdf

they are shipped with one spacer installed each side, the other two are in the little plastic bag

Miller

by Miller

Surprisingly lukewarm review of EE brakes in road.cc.

http://road.cc/content/review/235081-ca ... -ee-brakes

ipaul

by ipaul

@sungod, unfortunately those extra black spacers were not included. I’ll reach out to Cane Creek and try to obtain some.
Thx

sungod

by sungod

Miller wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 pm

the much repeated complaint about "risk of damage to your frame" needs taking with a large pinch of salt, the screw on mine comes nowhere near the frame

aside from cost, the only other complaint seems to be about the return spring strength, again i don't have that issue, the reviewer admits their cable might be the cause, yes, it might indeed be

overall felt like the reviewer is annoyed because he accidentally scratched his bike by allowing the front to flop around

people have dented top tubes doing that, it's annoying of course, but if it were me i'd be blaming myself (a lot) not the brakes

assuming these are the latest version, what could be an issue is that it looks like the offset adjuster screw may now need a hex key to use, rather than the knurled knob, to me that's a retrograde step

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Miller wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 pm

This reviewer seems like a moron. How about your bars banging against the top tube from a similar "incident" - do we fault the bars?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Erwin wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:10 am
Sorry for reactivating this thread.
But yesterday I want to order the new(er) eebrake direct mount for my Madone 7 with new aero arch. Just before placing my order I have noticed in another shop which excluded Emonda and Madone for this type of brakes. I think the aero arch could collide with the headtube?! Nevertheless I saw some older pictures with a Madone 7 and front eebrake. Was there a special Madone version available long time ago?

The regular eebrake on my Canyon Ultimate works flawlessly with R9150 DI2 lever...
I know Cane Creek makes only rear chainstay EE brakes that should fit your Madone. I just bought a pair of front direct mount EE brakes for my Oltre XR4 as they don't make any rear seatstay calipers for the rear. With slight modification, I used the front direct mount for the rear.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Their counter spring design is very clever. They've compressed the shape in the center section to be wider in the vertical, thereby giving more spring tension without going with a thicker rod material. The center section is compressed at an angle, so the increased cross section tapers outward towards the ends, allowing the them to remain round for insertion into the brake arms. This saves weight, maintains a reasonable spring rate while achieving enough spring tension for lever return.

Cannot wait to assemble this brakeset on my F10 tomorrow.