2017 Fuji SL 1.1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeeCH

by LeeCH

Fuji is good brand of cycle I think. I look foeward to launch the new model. How nice that is!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tisun

by tisun

I'm getting quote from a bike shop in Indiana for a 2017 SL Elite frameset, price is very competitive. Will update you guys as soon as I finalize the deal.

steventran

by steventran

I was considering a Fuji SL as a budget build / race bike. I looked up a Cervelo R3 frameset, however, and it is also ~1000g for about the same price, $2000. Geometry, aesthetics, availability, and "less common" aside, what are some technical reasons that someone might prefer the SL Elite to an R3?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

steventran wrote:I was considering a Fuji SL as a budget build / race bike. I looked up a Cervelo R3 frameset, however, and it is also ~1000g for about the same price, $2000. Geometry, aesthetics, availability, and "less common" aside, what are some technical reasons that someone might prefer the SL Elite to an R3?

Err... You just about discounted every important factor people consider when deciding on a frame there. Only Tour Magazine cam tell you if one is stiffer or more compliant than the other, if that's the only thing you are interested in.

I don't like Cervelo's tall headtube so that rules them out right away. I also prefer a matte UD finish for a change. Plus I haven't seen one in the flesh outside so far. So, geometry, aesthetics and exclusivity for me.

steventran

by steventran

I thought I might have been missing something is all. There seems to be some excitement over the Fuji SL and I thought it was mostly because of price-to-weight. Rarely are people excited about stock geometry. As for aesthetics and exclusivity, Fuji is sold at Performance Bike in the US, which is known more for value.

drwittcop

by drwittcop

tisun wrote:I'm getting quote from a bike shop in Indiana for a 2017 SL Elite frameset, price is very competitive. Will update you guys as soon as I finalize the deal.

I got an update a week ago, probably from the same shop in Indiana as posted above. Frame is on order and should arrive in late August/ early September. Torture as I have all the other components piled up in my cabinets waiting for the frame.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Ok, Nano Black Inc crash without insurance has caused replacement with this Fuji.

Getting excited now - over riding the winter bike (although it definitely is winter here just now).

My 2017 Fuji SL Elite is due to arrive.... in the Courier today!

Fingers crossed.

mythical

by mythical

I share your excitement. Please share pix when your new bike is assembled.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Allen254

by Allen254

Gearjunkie wrote:Ok, Nano Black Inc crash without insurance has caused replacement with this Fuji.

Getting excited now - over riding the winter bike (although it definitely is winter here just now).

My 2017 Fuji SL Elite is due to arrive.... in the Courier today!

Fingers crossed.

Please share some pics Iam excited for you. which modle did you get the 2016 or 2017??

RussellS

by RussellS

steventran wrote:I was considering a Fuji SL as a budget build / race bike. I looked up a Cervelo R3 frameset, however, and it is also ~1000g for about the same price, $2000.

The Cervelo R3 is listed at 950 grams for the FRAME only. The Fuji SL 1.1 is about 750 grams for the frame and 280 grams for the fork. Roughly 1 kilogram for both frame and fork. Your Cervelo and the Fuji are not really too comparable since they differ by 200+ grams. Little less than half pound. The 1000 grams you state is the frame only. Add 300 or so grams for the fork. If something is 20-25% more weight, is it really comparable?

steventran

by steventran

Ah, you're right! When I read "sub-1000gm frame weight" on the Cervelo website, I processed it as frameset. My fault.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi

So my 2017 56cm Fuji SL Elite didn't make it by courier before the weekend, but is here now (after I collected it from a wrong address - delivered to wrong place!).

Weights are 789g for the frame (without fittings but including internal cable liners for both derailleurs and rear brake) and 304g for the uncut fork.

So a little more than my Nano was (715g and 321g respetively) but hope to drop around 20g when I cut the fork.

The integrated chain guard is nice and can be removed. Weighs just 5g so may go with it and remove the Sram guard from my Red FD.

4x bottle cage bolts = 5g.

RD hanger = 13g

FSA headset = 39g

Seat clamp = 20g (gotta go, will replace with Mt Zoom or Tune at around 5g)

Interestingly while it did come with a headset, there was no BB.

Here are (hopefully) some pics...

20160808_150949s.jpg

20160808_150916s.jpg

20160808_145923s.jpg

loudtiger

by loudtiger

love the gold/bronze 2017 look. this is a solid frame.

Allen254

by Allen254

Gearjunkie wrote:Hi

So my 2017 56cm Fuji SL Elite didn't make it by courier before the weekend, but is here now (after I collected it from a wrong address - delivered to wrong place!).

Weights are 789g for the frame (without fittings but including internal cable liners for both derailleurs and rear brake) and 304g for the uncut fork.

So a little more than my Nano was (715g and 321g respetively) but hope to drop around 20g when I cut the fork.

The integrated chain guard is nice and can be removed. Weighs just 5g so may go with it and remove the Sram guard from my Red FD.

4x bottle cage bolts = 5g.

RD hanger = 13g

FSA headset = 39g

Seat clamp = 20g (gotta go, will replace with Mt Zoom or Tune at around 5g)

Interestingly while it did come with a headset, there was no BB.

Here are (hopefully) some pics...

20160808_150949s.jpg
20160808_150916s.jpg
20160808_145923s.jpg

Super nice man the color is awesome please post some pics after you have it built.. asap please.

mythical

by mythical

Looks pretty and the weights aren't bad either.

One cannot help but wonder about this:
http://www.fujibikes.com/sl/ wrote:“At a staggering frame weight of just 695 grams, the SL is 19% lighter than any bike we've ever produced and is flat-out one of the lightest bikes in the world.”
Gearjunkie wrote:Weights are 789g for the frame (without fittings but including internal cable liners for both derailleurs and rear brake) and 304g for the uncut fork.

Surely cable liners cannot weigh that much, right...?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com