Stripping the paint of my TCR Advanced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jorisee01

by jorisee01

The frame as in the pictures was also 3 hours. I think the small tubes will be easier then the big ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Looking good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I've googled to find what wax to use in a naked carbon frame but can't find the right stuff. Anyone knows what to use?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That was fast! I guess you did not just sand the paint off like i did?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Its still work in progress. Only did the downtube and a seat stay. What did you do with the raw carbon frame? Clear coat?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Looking good! It's a lot of work but totally worth it in the end. Using a razor blade in a swiping motion removes it very quick as well as sanding. The blade leaves a perfect finish. You were talking about a wax. I use aerospace 303 for a UV protectant. Apply once a month and you will never have to worry about UV damage to your resin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351752414446
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I find it very rewarding. Exposing the nude carbon and finding out how the 3K weave is really fun!

Thanks pointing me to the 303. I'll look into that!

chris14

by chris14

kevosinn wrote:Looking good! It's a lot of work but totally worth it in the end. Using a razor blade in a swiping motion removes it very quick as well as sanding. The blade leaves a perfect finish. You were talking about a wax. I use aerospace 303 for a UV protectant. Apply once a month and you will never have to worry about UV damage to your resin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351752414446

I use 303 too. Great product and simple to use.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I've been thinking of stripping my frame and forks for a while so found this intereting. I've found a couple of local companies that do soda blasting and am thinking about that if the price is ok. Having sanded my cranks, I have little desire to go through that again and am kinda nervous about shaving the clear coat and paint with a razor.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Just curious. How much weight can you save by stripping the frame? It's seven grams for the fork only so I'm guessing maybe 60g. for the frame only?

And would this affect the frame stiffness as the paint is part of the structure after all? Maybe not enough to be noticeable but certainly one of the many reasons why warranty would be voided.

Jengaback

by Jengaback

It depends on the bike. I stripped the paint off my alloy condor and saved around 150g but others have stripped higher end carbon frames and saved less than 100

jorisee01

by jorisee01

My frame only has clear coat and some decals so I don't expect much. I think 60 grams could be a good estimation.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I am progressing slowly. Found some imperfections under the lacquer. What to do with that?

Here a progress pic

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I'm also going to fit this non-Di2 frame with Di2. Does anyone know how to internally route the etube cable to the RD?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

jorisee01 wrote:I'm also going to fit this non-Di2 frame with Di2. Does anyone know how to internally route the etube cable to the RD?

You want to drill the hole for the RD not on the top or bottom of the chainstay. The hole should be on the side (outside of course) smack in the center (top to bottom) of the chainstay. The center of the chainstay has the least amount of bending stress and hence it's the best location to drill a hole. I don't know what type of BB shell you have but you need to open up three holes on the BB shell for the various cables. One going to the seat tube (for the internal battery), one to the chainstay, and one to the down tube. You can hide the junction box in any one of the tubes.
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com