SM-EW90 Di2 junction internals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I'm planning a project where I would like to bring the functionality of the Di2 'A' junction remote and external to a location on the bike (Specifically, the LED's and button while keeping the junction internal/hidden). I have searched a bunch and have not found any photos of a SM-EW90 cracked open, yet I've seen a few project bikes where people have done something like this.

So could anyone direct to any links/photos that would give some insight on this?

Thanks
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

One question. If the junction is hidden how do you charge the internal battery?

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I would need to access every 1000-1500 miles to charge. I would be able to do that.

I have also read a bit about switching the connector on the BCR2 charger and charging directly at an E-tube port (say one of the spares at the shifter). Need to do a little more research there though.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Here's an idea. Since you don't need to use the button very often except only when adjusting the derailleurs, the only thing you need to relocate is the LED. You could buy a fiber optic cable used for A/V on eBay very cheaply. You could somehow attach the cable externally to the junction and bring the other end to an inconspicuous location such as between the handlebar tape. You check the battery level very easily this way.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

pdlpsher1 wrote:Here's an idea. Since you don't need to use the button very often except only when adjusting the derailleurs, the only thing you need to relocate is the LED. You could buy a fiber optic cable used for A/V on eBay very cheaply. You could somehow attach the cable externally to the junction and bring the other end to an inconspicuous location such as between the handlebar tape. You check the battery level very easily this way.

If you have an EWW01 remote sender, you don't even need that - the battery level is displayed on your Garmin.