Cartridge bearings affected by QR tension?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I am struggling to find my answer to this question, so hoping you knowledge people can shed some light?

With non adjustable cartridge bearing, is the preload not affected by the tension of the QR? So if you was to do tighten the QR normal vs firm, this wouldn't change the set bearing preload?

Many thanks
Luke

Rick

by Rick

It SHOULDN'T ; but it really depends on the design of the specific hub.
Most are designed such that as the QR force increases it is all borne by either the outer or inner bearing race without increasing load on the bearings. But I have heard of some that aren't designed properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Many hubs are designed for the preload to be adjusted while the wheel is already clamped in. Mavic, campy, zipp, to name a few.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I was mainly talking about 77/177 hub design. The new hub design is non adjustable reload. I was just curious.

Thanks

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I expect zipp has set up tolerances to have an expected preload when clamped. I disagree with previous poster in that hub bearings are affected by clamping force and thus preload setting must take this into account.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

It depends entirely on the design of the hub, and in particular the bearing arrangement in relation to the axle, and how the axle ends are designed.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Can you give an example of one?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't know how it actually works but the latest Shimano hubs are designed to have the QR forces act on the axle rather than the bearings. I did recently service my DA hubs and can confirm that the QR has no or very little effect on bearing preload.

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I am aware that, cup and cone style rely on QR tension to get the correct preload.

I was really talking about cartridge style and non adjust preload style hubs.

Thanks anyways guys!!

Luke

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

goodboyr wrote:Can you give an example of one?

An example of one what? A hub where QR force doesn't affect bearing preload?

Extralite CyberRear SP.

The arrangement has the locating bearing in the outside end of the freebody, then 3 more bearings spaced out across the freebody and hub shell. The opposite non-locating bearing has a preload adjuster sitting against it. The axle end have nothing at all to do with the preload on the bearings, and you can clamp the hub in as hard as you like (within reason, of course!) and the bearings won't be affected, as all you are doing is putting force down each end of the axle.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

PLuKE wrote:I am aware that, cup and cone style rely on QR tension to get the correct preload.

Incorrect.

Marin

by Marin

It used to be that way with flexible axles though.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

TheDarkInstall wrote:
goodboyr wrote:Can you give an example of one?

An example of one what? A hub where QR force doesn't affect bearing preload?

Extralite CyberRear SP.

The arrangement has the locating bearing in the outside end of the freebody, then 3 more bearings spaced out across the freebody and hub shell. The opposite non-locating bearing has a preload adjuster sitting against it. The axle end have nothing at all to do with the preload on the bearings, and you can clamp the hub in as hard as you like (within reason, of course!) and the bearings won't be affected, as all you are doing is putting force down each end of the axle.

The manual for these hubs says that to adjust preload properly, the hub must first be properly clamped with appropriate qr force in drop outs.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

dt240s -> cartridge bearings no preload and QR tension does not affect the bearings

campagnolo hubs (for example neutron ultra wheels) -> cup and cone bearings preload and QR tension does not affect the bearings

mavic ksyrium -> cartridge bearings preload and QR tension affects the bearings

goodboyr

by goodboyr

dt240 do not have adjustable preload, but similar to older zipp hubs, rely on tolerances and a certain amount of qr tension to get preload right, so I disagree that qr tension has no effect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com