Canyon Available in USA in 2017 (Press Release)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joepac

by joepac

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Lol you can order them in 2017 but they will deliver it in 2018, like in the EU

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

What are they thinking? Canyon is not in the position to deliver on time to the rest of the world. After all, they will be dealing with USA, where majority of population want instant gratification, especially new generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

tomycs

by tomycs

I have dealt with Canyon 3x (1xroad bike in 2013, 1xcrash replacement frameset in 2015, 1xwmn fitness bike in 2016) every time item was in stock and delivery took at most 2 weeks. Maybe I've been just lucky. I have to say I would never order in October/November something that Canyon predicts as end of December/early January to then end up getting my bike in March/April, the internet seems full of stories like that. I get the feeling Canyon relies a little too much on people ordering in advance, to then tailor production to expected sales and for a brand that can afford to sponsor 2 Pro Tour teams this seems odd.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

euan

by euan

Can you get them in the EU yet?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

The more I see press releases like this, the less excited I get about Canyon. This one just admitted that we are still at least 1 year from the first Canyon bike being delivered to a US customer. I'm still happy to see that they can disrupt the bike industry like this, but I'm not that sure that their business model will be that successful in the US as it is in Europe. Especially in the lower / mid segment of the market.

Their online business is great for guys who already know what they want and able to do some work on their bike. But I think this market segment is fairly slim.

MiddMan

by MiddMan

This is great news. I hope it also creates competition for other manufacturers to bring prices down. bikes have gotten way too expensive in my opinion, and there's a middle man somewhere, especially since most manufactures' bikes are mass-produced end in the Far East. (But besides all that, Canyons are awesome bikes!)

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I doubt this will do anything to lower the cost of other brands. More likely Canyon bikes will get a bit more expensive. It'll be good to have another brand to choose from though. I wouldn't mind a 2-3 month wait from order to delivery but I don't tend to make snap purchases anyway. Much longer than that and I would be looking elsewhere.

CBJ

by CBJ

You would think they would have sorted out the worst parts of their SAP implementation problems by then and be able to speed up delivery time.

wingguy

by wingguy

Bear in mind that article stated that Canyon has been averaging 30% year on year growth since 2010. There is no other company in cycling dealing with that stratospheric level of expansion on that scale, or anywhere close to it. The limiting factor for them isn't demand, it's production capacity, and that's what causes the issues.

Once they get that sorted out though they could well be unstoppable, and that's scary for everyone else.

CBJ

by CBJ

I do not think its capacity only. They moved location and switched ERP from Navision to SAP. I hate to speculate but I would not be surprised if that has been part of the problem too.

wingguy

by wingguy

Oh yeah, SAP was the whole cause of their most recent delays (November through to about March, I think).

Interestingly CSG (Cannondale, GT etc) in the UK also moved to SAP during this winter, and also had a catastrophic IT failure during the switchover - but while it took some time to properly fix, it only affected their fulfillment of customer orders for about a week. They could rely on bike shops to tell them which bikes they had ordered, which ones were needed as high priority and start shipping again almost immediately, but because Canyon is completely centralised they had no safety net and needed to wait for SAP to recover all the lost data.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.