DA 9070 sleep mode?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

Was wondering : I've done an update of all the firmware (1st time since owning the groupset) using e-tube, but there seems to be a 'problem' since then. Although fully charged, the front mech don't respond to the 5 or 10 first shift impulses of the ride. After that, no worry anymore, even on cobbles etc. Rear mech works from the first shift.

Is it that the front mech remains in 'sleep mode' although rear mech has been used? Don't think it's a connection issue, as it only occurs at the vey begin of a ride. I always start on the inner ring and go to big ring after a few 100m, as there is a desent near my home. Will try tomorow to start on the big ring to see if it switch to the small one on first shift or not.

Any advice or similar issues?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

That's not normal. I am on latest firmware. It's always responded immediately.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Yup - something's not right.

ChanheeLee

by ChanheeLee

I'm using 6870.
I do not have that symptoms.
I think that's not normal.
How about you try a firmware update?

Delorre

by Delorre

Update : things got worse today :evil: Started the ride on the big ring. As expected, the first few tries to go to the small ring didn't succeed, but today, even the rear mech took 5 to 10 impulsions before it 'woke up'. From there, it took a couple more impulsion to get the front mech awake. Once awake, everything went fine for the rest of the ride.

My next try will be to check battery level just before the ride. If I get green light, i can assume the system is awake and will shift from the first time. Otherwise :noidea: Or I can go back to the factory settings for shift speed and multishift, to see if that helps. I re-checked with the e-tube website : every component is on the latest firmware.

I have to say, this is driving me nuts. Last resort is taking it to the dealer for a diagnostic check (not possible on your own without the special hardware), but as eveything works fine once awake, I can't think of something the diagnostic will find.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

My guess is that whoever installed this did not allow slack for the cables as they connect to the shifters. Peel back your bar tape and get at those connections and make sure they are fully plugged in and there is a small slack loop. If the cable is tight and not fully connected, slight movements of the shifters will make and break the connections.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

goodboyr wrote:My guess is that whoever installed this did not allow slack for the cables as they connect to the shifters. Peel back your bar tape and get at those connections and make sure they are fully plugged in and there is a small slack loop. If the cable is tight and not fully connected, slight movements of the shifters will make and break the connections.

I have had this happen to me too. However the OP is having problems with both shifters. It seems highly unlikely that both are loose. It would be interesting to find out the cause.

Delorre

by Delorre

pdlpsher1 wrote:
goodboyr wrote:My guess is that whoever installed this did not allow slack for the cables as they connect to the shifters. Peel back your bar tape and get at those connections and make sure they are fully plugged in and there is a small slack loop. If the cable is tight and not fully connected, slight movements of the shifters will make and break the connections.

I have had this happen to me too. However the OP is having problems with both shifters. It seems highly unlikely that both are loose. It would be interesting to find out the cause.

I've had 0 problems for almost 8 months, so connections are fine, I'm sure, and if I remember correctly, the first ride day after the firmware upgrade, trouble began. This can't be simple coincidence :?:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Check your cable connections. Particularly the ones used for the firmware update.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lol. So you don't want to check your connections. That's sad.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

pdlpsher1 wrote:

If the same technique was used to install both shifters, it's quite possible tight cables and bad connections could occur on both sides, but since the op is sure about things without bothering to actually look, good luck to him.

Delorre

by Delorre

goodboyr wrote:Lol. So you don't want to check your connections. That's sad.

I Will check them' but there is no logic behind. Why does it work all the time except for the first few clicks? Why just after an update? Will plug the bike to the pc before doing anything or clicking on something. If all the components are seen, i can exclude à connection problem.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

No you cannot exclude connection problem. Especially if problem is in hoods.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

ms6073

by ms6073

Delorre wrote:
goodboyr wrote:Why does it work all the time except for the first few clicks?

Because there could be a debris or corrosion in the connector interface, or possibly a crack in the plastic of the wire's connector preventing it from seating completely.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lol. And it takes about 30 seconds to peel back the hoods and look. Geez!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com