Question on Magnesium Pinarello Dogma FP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mtdetermine

by mtdetermine

Hi guys, I was kinda forced by my mum to quit cycling ~8 years ago because she thought "it was too dangerous" (she's a control freak). After putting on ~35kg within the 8 years, I figure dying from obesity is more dangerous than cycling! Purchased a MTB to start training up late last year. Recently, bought a second hand titanium roadbike but does not like the feel.

Back to the topic, was wondering what bike to ride. Then I saw a suitable size magnesium Dogma on ebay. Last bike was a 2005 Dogma and the ride quality was really great. Hence, put in a high bid and won this ebay magnesium Dogma. Delighted because it is really hard to find a 52cm TT magnesium Dogma on ebay

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINARELLO-DOGMA ... 7675.l2557

My questions are:

1) Is this a Dogma FP or Dogma FPX?
2) Noticed that the SR11 shifter design is quite different from the 10 speed shifters. Which is more ergonomic?
3) How does Campy 11 speed group perform compare to 10 speed group? (still have a 10 speed mixed Record/Chorus group in storeroom)
4) If I want to change the crank to a Campagnolo 11 speed crank, do I need to buy the BB cups? If yes, is it Italian BB cups?
5) If I want to change the drive train to the 10 speed group, what BB should I buy? Or does FP has a MOST BB already installed inside?

Thank you for your inputs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That a beautiful bike! Nice find on eBay. And welcome back to the sport.

sharkman

by sharkman

It's a a nice bike but a lot of them suffered from early failure (3 out of 5 i build cracked)
Magnesium reacts to water/air and even not taking care of paint chips can be a problem. so live inspection and a low frameprice would be a good start if you really want it

Canofale

by Canofale

Hi, it's a beautiful bike, I'm not sure but picture 12 appears to show some oxidisation on the top tube, I've never had a magnesium frame but I've read this can be a big problem.
2015 Caad10 Ultegra 7.1kg
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 6.6kg

Miller

by Miller

mtdetermine wrote:
My questions are:

1) Is this a Dogma FP or Dogma FPX?
2) Noticed that the SR11 shifter design is quite different from the 10 speed shifters. Which is more ergonomic?
3) How does Campy 11 speed group perform compare to 10 speed group? (still have a 10 speed mixed Record/Chorus group in storeroom)
4) If I want to change the crank to a Campagnolo 11 speed crank, do I need to buy the BB cups? If yes, is it Italian BB cups?
5) If I want to change the drive train to the 10 speed group, what BB should I buy? Or does FP has a MOST BB already installed inside?

Thank you for your inputs.

Lovely bike, hope it holds up, lol.
2. 11sp shifters are much more ergonomic in my opinion. With your hands on the hoods you have a more secure grip.
3. 11sp performs beautifully when correctly set up.
4. Yes you will need the Campag UT cups, whether it's BSA or ITA depends on the frame.
5. Leave it on 11sp would be my advice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Picture 11 shows bare mag with no corrosion. I have an automotive air pump with a mag heat sink and the heat sink still looks new. I don't think it's been in contact with water but you would think if it's that corrosive it would already look different by now. American bike manufacturer Paketa has been making mag tandems and I believe they are the only current mag bike manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk