NBD! Defy Advanced 2 (want to shave some weight)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flashpunk

by flashpunk

New bike day for me! I treated myself to a new ride for my birthday, and was able to pick it up last night and take it for a ride this morning. I am coming from a Propel Advanced w/Ultegra and although the 105 group set here is a downgrade, I see the differences as marginal, although Ultegra feels slightly better.

http://i.imgur.com/ttqkowp.jpg

The bike weighs 8.95kg stock with my pedals, and PRO Carbon rail saddle, and I'm looking to drop some weight. I've already ordered a set of Yoeleo carbon wheels. My plan for this bike is to swap out to eTap once SRAM releases the hydraulic version, however I may upgrade the crank sooner than that. Trying to decide between an ultegra 6800 or Easton EC90.

Other ideas I have:
• SRAM eTap Hydraulic (when it's available)
• Crank upgrade Ultegra 6800 or Easton EC90, but would love other suggestions!
• TI bolts
• Better discs (Shimano XT Ice-Tech)
• Green bar tape
• Giant SL D-Fuse seat post (this likely won't save me much in terms of overall weight)
• Carbon stem and bars

Wondering if anyone else can help me reduce the weight here, particularly in the rear end, as I find it's most weighty in the trunk!

Thanks!
Last edited by Frankie - B on Tue May 03, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: img tags removed. pic way to big.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Benno

by Benno

Nice Defy! Love the colour scheme. I have my Defy down to 6.85 kilos. What is your goal? The wheels will go a long way to dropping weight. If you care about shifting performance you really can't beat shimano cranks though they definitely lack the bling factor (although I think the DA cranks look pretty awesome). Maybe go for SRAM cranks if you are planning an etap build?

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Benno wrote:Nice Defy! Love the colour scheme. I have my Defy down to 6.85 kilos. What is your goal? The wheels will go a long way to dropping weight. If you care about shifting performance you really can't beat shimano cranks though they definitely lack the bling factor (although I think the DA cranks look pretty awesome). Maybe go for SRAM cranks if you are planning an etap build?

Woah! Impressive weight, is it a disc version? I dont know if i'll be able to go that low, but I would be ecstatic with anything under7.5kg.

Benno

by Benno

Yeah mine is a 2015. I lost a kilo off the weight just with wheels alone.

I did Ti bolts and used the lighter steerer expander that was included with the bike. Also the seat is pretty light. I normally use ashima rotors because I like a grabbier brake. Skewers are from Tune and fairly light as well.
Be warned the very light stuff like Ti/ALU bolts, light skewers, light carbon seat are all pretty fragile and require a gentle hand and constant inspection.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I had my old Giant TCR Advanced (not SL and not disc) at 6.63 kg with SRAM Red shifters and derailleurs and Zero Gravity brake calipers pedals, bottle cages, and computer. 1250 g Al wheels. Nothing too special. It isn't really that hard.
Last edited by rpenmanparker on Sun May 01, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

rpenmanparker wrote:I had my old Giant TCR Advanced (not SL and not disc) at 6.63 kg with SRAM Red shifters and derailleurs and Zero Gravity brake calipers, with pedals, bottle cages and compiter mount. 1250 g Al wheels. Nothing too special in the cockpit. It isn't really that hard.
Last edited by rpenmanparker on Sun May 01, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

flashpunk

by flashpunk

rpenmanparker wrote:I had my old Giant TCR Advanced (not SL and not disc) at 6.63 kg with SRAM Red shifters and derailleurs and Zero Gravity brake calipers pedals, bottle cages, and computer. 1250 g Al wheels. Nothing too special. It isn't really that hard.

Ok, but the defy has disc, so I'm not really surprised that your non disc bike is that low.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

flashpunk wrote:
rpenmanparker wrote:I had my old Giant TCR Advanced (not SL and not disc) at 6.63 kg with SRAM Red shifters and derailleurs and Zero Gravity brake calipers pedals, bottle cages, and computer. 1250 g Al wheels. Nothing too special. It isn't really that hard.

Ok, but the defy has disc, so I'm not really surprised that your non disc bike is that low.

Yeah, but you're talking about a 5 lb difference. You can't blame that on disc. My frame weighed a massive 1,235 g and I still managed a very respectable weight. So i'm just saying you can get very light with just a little work. If disc is that porky, it simply isn't worth it.
Robert

shotgun

by shotgun

Nice gift! I myself also just purchased a Defy Advanced Pro 2, it's got a similar build to yours, except for hydraulic brakes, Ultegra cranks, and shorter cage. Sharing my weight loss path:

Upgrades thus far:
1. Reynolds Attack Wheels (saved over 400g from the Giant SL1 wheels)
2. Specialized Toupe Pro (from an old build)
3. Avid HS1 Rotors

Upgrades planned in the next few days:
1. Ti Bolts all around (down maybe 20g)
2. Ashima 140mm rotors (another 12g from the HS1)
3. Specialized Toupe S-Works (another 10g down)
4. Giant Connect SLR 1-piece cockpit (saves just 50-60g but I'd like a similar front end as my TCR)
5. SRAM Red 11-28 cassette (saves around 80g from stock)
6. Carbon Ti skewers (less 70g)
7. Giant Carbon Cages (less 25g from the bonts installed)

I reckon I can get mine down to 7.5kg (including pedals and stages PM) from all-stock 8.4kg without pedals. Not sure if I can go considerably lower than that unless I switch out the cranks.

2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

mattyNor

by mattyNor

That blue is probably my favourite in the entire industry! I don't see the point in going disc if you're just going to put light rotors that don't stop on, just stick with rim brakes at that point.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Benno

by Benno

Love my aineon 140's. Crazy I didn't get the memo about them not stopping. I just spent 3 weeks riding in the mountains. I probably should be dead then.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Shotgun, that bike is beautiful. Any chance of a build thread with more photo's? :-)
Ride it like you stole it

jeffy

by jeffy

will be interesting to see how much weight shimano shaves of the hydraulic shifters for dura ace

currently AFAIK di2 785 = ~510g (pair shifters) mech = ~ 650g (pair shifters)
the shimano calipers are ~ 260g for a pair

for reference pair red hydro shifters = ~680g including hoses and calipers (2x shifters + 2x hoses + 2x disc calipers)

jeffy

by jeffy

junchen

by junchen

Defy advanced 2 is a nice bike. I got it previously, but at 9kg stock, I realised there's far too much effort (and money) to get it down to sub 7kg. Took a slight loss, and changed to another bike.

Still, nice n comfy bike.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com