NBD! Defy Advanced 2 (want to shave some weight)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

loudboxer. good post, you should post the info to the giant thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66856&start=600

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

loudboxer

by loudboxer

jeffy wrote:loudboxer. good post, you should post the info to the giant thread

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66856&start=600

Good call, done.
'19 Santa Cruz Blur TR, CC, X01, XTR, Fizik Tundra 2.
'15 Giant Defy D-A, Hunt + ProOne, Fizik R1. Endurance machine.
'06 Scott CR1 D-A, Ksyrium SL + GP4kS, Aliante. Climber. Mostly retired...

tomee

by tomee

loudboxer wrote:I'm half-considering some Ti skewers... The Hunts are very nice internal-cam stainless+alloy skewers, but I'm open to suggestions for a good, solid, disc-capable Ti pair under 57+63g.
:

DT Swiss RWS ones are my favourites.
doesn't have a cam like the others but acts more like a screw type and has a arm which you pull out for so you can place the handle wherever you want it.
https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/RWS/ ... oad-or-MTB

A2ON

by A2ON

Hey I have a Propel but am finding this thread really good and helpfull too !

i have just ordered the Aircap kit - I will weight stuff in and out when it arrives and let people know.

Cool little mod that i never even knew existed !

pmprego

by pmprego

loudboxer wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:43 pm
Good thread… hope I can contribute some useful infos.

I do know the AirCap insert itself weighs 15g and the standard compression bung it replaced weighed 43g. (no bolt, no cap, weighed in the shop)

I’m working from a 2015 Advanced Pro 1 which came with mechanical Ultegra build and 685/785 hydro brakes (aka, the Red one). Hanging in the shop last October it was 8050g / 17lb 12oz (no pedals)

Mods to date have brought the bare bike down to 7330g / 16lb 4oz.
-382g Hunt AeroLight Disc 28mm wheels (1499g/pr with TL tape) set up tubeless on Schwalbe Pro 1 with RT-99 centerlock discs
-101g 3t Ergonova Team Stealth bars
-69g Fizik R1 saddle
-56g DuraAce 9000 11-28 cassette
-39g DuraAce 9000 rear mech
-28g AirCap head conversion
-26g Giant SLR stem
-30g Various small mods: seat post clamp spring delete, carbon-rail clamp plates, removed seat post dust cap, carbon stem spacers.

The usual road-going bolt-ons bring it back up to about 7840g / 17lb 5oz
+248g DA7900 pedals
+90g Lezyne Carbon Road Drive pump w/mount
+80g Garmin 520 on an SRAM out-front mount
+25g x 2 Blackburn carbon cages with alloy bolts
+6g a couple sensor magnets

This is a robust, ride-it-hard fiddle-free endurance build. I've kept track of all the mods and weight deltas so far as well as weighed whatever parts I could easily get off the bike (argh, internal cables). Happy to share any of those particulars.

The seat-post clamp compression block is a beast at 46g… Looking at it, there’s some opportunity to drill material out of the non-contact surfaces. Haven’t done it yet so I'm not sure how much can realistically come off, probably dozen ish or so grams. Have a DA9000 front mech to go on soon (-27g) and may eventually do some bolt tuning. Also hoping Giant does an SLR-grade D-Fuse seat post. The SL isn't bad at 211g but would be a bit lighter with a full carbon head per the normal round-profile SLR posts.

Looking forward, the biggest substantive weight savings looks to be with new Dura Ace 9100 stuff. Would drop the fully-leaden on-the-road weight down to ~ 7610g / 16.75ish lb but will surely be $$$$ to do it:
ST-R9120 Hydro/Mech : 505g/pr (~145g off 685)
FC-R9100 50-34t : 609g (~84g off Ultegra)

I'm half-considering some Ti skewers... The Hunts are very nice internal-cam stainless+alloy skewers, but I'm open to suggestions for a good, solid, disc-capable Ti pair under 57+63g.

Also, thanks @benno your build has provided some solid inspiration.
:beerchug:
It's so incredible hard to find info regarding giant bikes. Who would say they are the largest vendors worldwide...

I'm trying to find a zero offset (or less than the 25mm offset standard) seatpost that ALLOWS oval carbon rails. Can someone give me some help in this? Many thanks!!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I wouldn't upgrade things that are a part of the frame and are unlikely to fit your next frame. The defy is probably not the best place to start a weight weenie build from. If you continue down the path of weenieism you'll probably swap the frame at some point.

Bars/seat/pedals/accessories/compression plug/skewers/bolts/rotors have potential for weight loss without being too frame dependent. I wouldn't swap groupset items unless I got a good deal 2nd hand for a whole group or something.

Do you ride rougher terrain or paved roads only?

loudboxer

by loudboxer

This is a pretty old thread now. I'd agree that the Defy's not the best basis for a weight-weenie for the sake of weight-weenie build... It's too overbuilt and not particularly optimized for WW (proprietary seat post, that gnarly seat-post clamp block). That said, it's a fine-riding bike and with the usual bolt-on part-swaps can get down to a decent weight.

My Defy is currently at about 7600g 16.8lb full-up on-the-road with pedals, cages, pump, garmin, saddle bag, etc etc. (7150g ~15.75lb bare is pretty good)

Changes since my post from three years ago:
Upgraded my wheelset to Hunt's 30mm Carbon Aero Disc https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/products/ ... 27wide-999. Mine were a bit under weight at 1288g :) They're a dream, profile even better than the pointy-er aluminum AeroLight, wider internal, and a fantastic ride feel. Had some scary moments with 140mm discs turning hopeless on long double-digit gradients so upgraded to 160mm front and rear with the requisit adapters and longer bolts... can't say I notice the extra weight ;) Have a 21g Tubolito get-me-home lightweight spare tube in a tiny lightweight saddle bag. Also, current Dual-boa RC7 shoes.

Next:
Have a set of Ultegra 8020 shifters to swap in (should drop 100g ish off the 675's), at 8k miles it's time for a refresh of bar tape and another round of cables anyway.
'19 Santa Cruz Blur TR, CC, X01, XTR, Fizik Tundra 2.
'15 Giant Defy D-A, Hunt + ProOne, Fizik R1. Endurance machine.
'06 Scott CR1 D-A, Ksyrium SL + GP4kS, Aliante. Climber. Mostly retired...

pmprego

by pmprego

loudboxer wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:53 am
This is a pretty old thread now. I'd agree that the Defy's not the best basis for a weight-weenie for the sake of weight-weenie build... It's too overbuilt and not particularly optimized for WW (proprietary seat post, that gnarly seat-post clamp block). That said, it's a fine-riding bike and with the usual bolt-on part-swaps can get down to a decent weight.

My Defy is currently at about 7600g 16.8lb full-up on-the-road with pedals, cages, pump, garmin, saddle bag, etc etc. (7150g ~15.75lb bare is pretty good)

Changes since my post from three years ago:
Upgraded my wheelset to Hunt's 30mm Carbon Aero Disc https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/products/ ... 27wide-999. Mine were a bit under weight at 1288g :) They're a dream, profile even better than the pointy-er aluminum AeroLight, wider internal, and a fantastic ride feel. Had some scary moments with 140mm discs turning hopeless on long double-digit gradients so upgraded to 160mm front and rear with the requisit adapters and longer bolts... can't say I notice the extra weight ;) Have a 21g Tubolito get-me-home lightweight spare tube in a tiny lightweight saddle bag. Also, current Dual-boa RC7 shoes.

Next:
Have a set of Ultegra 8020 shifters to swap in (should drop 100g ish off the 675's), at 8k miles it's time for a refresh of bar tape and another round of cables anyway.
This is an old post that I tried to revive given the quest to use a carbon rail saddle in my defy.

I have a seat clamp that clamps from above and below. I'll try to attach a photo from a website, let's see if it works.

What I was trying to know was if this seat post clamp allows the 7x9mm oval rails of a lightweight carbon saddle.

In my area I have no vendor for giant and giant has NO customer client support.
Attachments
IMG_20191211_071116.jpg
Screenshot_2019-12-11-08-17-31-519_com.android.chrome.jpg

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

pmprego wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 am
This is an old post that I tried to revive given the quest to use a carbon rail saddle in my defy.

I have a seat clamp that clamps from above and below. I'll try to attach a photo from a website, let's see if it works.

What I was trying to know was if this seat post clamp allows the 7x9mm oval rails of a lightweight carbon saddle.

The top+bottom clamps should work fine with carbon rails as the carbon rails are taller than they are wider. It's the side-clamp style that has to have specifically shaped interface to work with round or oval saddle rails.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

pmprego

by pmprego

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:26 am
pmprego wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 am

The top+bottom clamps should work fine with carbon rails as the carbon rails are taller than they are wider. It's the side-clamp style that has to have specifically shaped interface to work with round or oval saddle rails.
OH, OK. That's good to know. Thanks!