Cannondale CAAD10 NDS BB wavy washer showing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Just noticed this today after my ride. Seems like 1-2 wavy washers of the BB are showing on my NDS just past the BB shell edge. Sorry, the pictures might not come out great. Also, didn't have time to wash the bike.

From feel, there doesn't seem to be any gritty resistance on the BB, nor is there any lateral or vertical play that I can feel. Laterally, it feels absolutely rock solid. Is this normal for the CAAD 10 stock BB?

Last edited by justkeepedaling on Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

Those are not threads, as CAAD frames have pressfit bbs instead of threaded.

From the looks of it, they look like light-purple bb shims and wave washers, just like I had with SISL2 cranks

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Thanks for the response, totally forgot these are press fit. I would guess that what's showing is the wavy washer. Is it an issue/normal for it to stick out a bit from the shell?

As mentioned before, the bb feels completely solid. I just don't want the bb to back out for some reason

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

Yep totally fine. Wavy washer and spacers are supposed to sit outboard of the NDS bearing to make up for the slight discrepancy in the bb shell width.

Some cranks require spacers that conveniently help to hide those spacers a little bit (like SISL2), and some just don't.

As long as the crank spins smoothly without any notchiness, or any lateral play, you are good to go.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Perfect, thanks much for the info.

I went to school at UIUC. I miss Papa Del's quite a bit, and cheap Thai food as well on Green :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

Nice to see a fellow ILLINI on the forum!

You have just decided for me what I will have for dinner tomorrow: PAPA DEL's :)
(BTW, they moved to a location on Springfield and call themselves a Papa Del's Pizza Factory now:) after raking all my money)