Quill stem angle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Why would the angle of a quill stem matter if you can just simply raise or lower the stem? Whats the point of an angle?

I am going from an ugly 90mm 0 degree stem to a 110mm 72 degree stem. Could I simply raise the stem to achieve the same handlebar stack as the 0 degree stem?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Absolutely, and it will look a lot better too on a road bike with a horizontal top tube. But the stem you are referring to is usually referred to as a -17 degree (I'm assuming your 72 degree number was probably a typo). If it's really 72 degrees then it would more commonly be referred to as a -18 degree stem. As long as you have enough stem tube to raise it safely out of the headtube to get the height you need you're golden.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Calnago wrote:Absolutely, and it will look a lot better too on a road bike with a horizontal top tube.

That

grilledcheese

by grilledcheese

It's mostly about aesthetics, unless you're trying to achieve a very high or very low position.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

eyedrop wrote:Why would the angle of a quill stem matter if you can just simply raise or lower the stem? Whats the point of an angle?

I am going from an ugly 90mm 0 degree stem to a 110mm 72 degree stem. Could I simply raise the stem to achieve the same handlebar stack as the 0 degree stem?

Google stem calculators. There are some out there that will give you the answer. It depends on the adjustable range of your stem. There are stems out there that have a longer quill, if you need that, though I think that riser stems look better than a stem with a long quill; plus it will be lighter, less flexible, and have more strength.