Best frameset under 2k in your opinion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iliedanila

by iliedanila

cobrakai wrote:
emcardle wrote:
cobrakai wrote:Felt F1 frameset is $1999 so just barely under. The S3 seems like a very good choice but is $2300, the R3 is right at $2000 however.

Euros...

Oops, sorry missed that.

It's ok, guys, this sum is a guideline, it's not like an absolute limit I won't cross no matter what.
I set this mark of 2k because I will probably buy something around 2k..
Like that cervelo s3 for example, if I decide to get it, then I'll probably spend a couple hundred euros extra...
The important thing is to get something that makes me happy :D and it doesn't cost me a kidney..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Lightweenie wrote:I agree that the orca seems to be a great option, but it is closer to 3k.

Nope. Highest frameset model can be purchased for max 2000€ easy.

Forgot about Felt : very good option. Really well made piece of equipment.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

cobrakai

by cobrakai

iliedanila wrote:
cobrakai wrote:
emcardle wrote:
cobrakai wrote:Felt F1 frameset is $1999 so just barely under. The S3 seems like a very good choice but is $2300, the R3 is right at $2000 however.

Euros...

Oops, sorry missed that.

It's ok, guys, this sum is a guideline, it's not like an absolute limit I won't cross no matter what.
I set this mark of 2k because I will probably buy something around 2k..
Like that cervelo s3 for example, if I decide to get it, then I'll probably spend a couple hundred euros extra...
The important thing is to get something that makes me happy :D and it doesn't cost me a kidney..

Cool, in that case I'll throw in a plug for the frameset I just built up, the Felt AR1. It's a little more expensive ($200 in the US) than the S3 which I was also considering but I picked the AR1 because I liked the looks better, they are a little less common than the Cervelo, and the stack/reach worked out a little better for me.

The Fuji SL or Transonic frames are both under 2k. There are also open mold frames from retailers like Nashbar, Merlin and others that are generally well under 1k.

thewallace

by thewallace

Fuji SL or Transonic depending on preference are hands down the best value framesets out there

iliedanila

by iliedanila

stormur wrote:
Lightweenie wrote:I agree that the orca seems to be a great option, but it is closer to 3k.

Nope. Highest frameset model can be purchased for max 2000€ easy.

Forgot about Felt : very good option. Really well made piece of equipment.

Is it true that Felt , Orbea and Merida make frames for other companies too?
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I have this feeling that the best prices per value on a frame comes from companies who manufactures frames for them and for others as well. (Giant comes to mind, also the chinese factories)..

morrisond

by morrisond

Hands Down Storck Visioner Comp G1 - 1399 Euros.

It has won numerous awards - all the Storck great attributes - great stiffness in the Drivetrain but with Great ride, Get the Carbon MLP 150 Seatpost that improves the ride even more.

It works just as well as the Uber Storcks - it's just not as light. Plus with the savings you can put some lighter wheels on or get a better group that will get you the weight back and functionally get you a better bike (nicer bearings/shifting function).

And this year it is Gloss Black.
Last edited by morrisond on Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

iliedanila wrote:Is it true that Felt , Orbea and Merida make frames for other companies too?
Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I have this feeling that the best prices per value on a frame comes from companies who manufactures frames for them and for others as well. (Giant comes to mind, also the chinese factories)..

I would be surprised if that was true for Felt and Orbea, but Merida make most Specialized frames (and own 49% of Spesh to boot) as well as some others, and Giant make a phenomenal quantity of bikes for all kinds of brands.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

About the orca price, i have it from the german Orbea site. Price was 2800Euros I think for the frameset.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

In terms of the Evo hi mod, an old 2015 model can be had from Paul's cycles for as low as £750....(depending on frame size). There are a couple of recent builds on WW that have gone down this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

thewallace wrote:Fuji SL or Transonic depending on preference are hands down the best value framesets out there

+1 Fuji SL1.1 is just an amazing frame at any price. The fact that it is under 2k usd would make it my first recommendation by a long shot for someone looking in that price range. It's a great WW build too.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Emonda SL frameset is a decent option with seatmast cap included.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Also you can buy a proper shimano compatible BB for PF30a from kogel / c-bear.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

nemeseri wrote:Also you can buy a proper shimano compatible BB for PF30a from kogel / c-bear.

Yeah, I just bookmarked their webpage just in case. :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Zitter

by Zitter

You can get a complete 2015 Orca w/ 105 11 speed for around $2k USD, but then shipping and tax/duties

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

iliedanila wrote:Like that cervelo s3 for example, if I decide to get it, then I'll probably spend a couple hundred euros extra...

One option for the Cervelo S3 frame is to get the Cervelo S2 fully built bike and get rid of the unwanted components. The 2015 models with Shim 105 can be found for just under 2k€. The S2 frame is identical to S3, the fork is different though.