Bianchi Oltre XR2 Setback

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GT56

by GT56

3Pio wrote:

I use two saddles: One is Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow (seem that this would be my main saddle), and Specialized Romin Evo Pro 143mm

Saddle height measured from bottom bracket, and using 172.5 cranks is 72cm

I need tip of the saddle to be about 6 cm behind bottom bracket (and if u can tell me what is the maximum that i can get "tip of the saddle behind bb" on 53 and 55 even better :) )

Thanks[/quote]

i'll do a drawing later this evening, first things first, which for the moment is take my bike out for a ride

you want the size 53 ?

3Pio

by 3Pio

GT56 wrote:
3Pio wrote:

I use two saddles: One is Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow (seem that this would be my main saddle), and Specialized Romin Evo Pro 143mm

I need tip of the saddle to be about 6 cm behind bottom bracket (and if u can tell me what is the maximum that i can get "tip of the saddle behind bb" on 53 and 55 even better :) )

Thanks

i'll do a drawing later this evening, first things first, which for the moment is take my bike out for a ride

you want the size 53 ?[/quote]

Thanks a lot.. I just measured again, the saddle height is not 72 cm, is 71.5 cm

I want to buy a new frameset that would fit me, and since i have a long femurs if i go for a big frame (55cm), it would be too longish on the front (or i need to use 90mm stem). I already tried 55 and seem a bit big for me (in the reach part).

If i go for 53 cm frame, reach would be fine, but im afraid that setback wont :(

Also im considering Colnago C60 so please if can do it do it for C60 as well (53 trad, 50s or 55 trad)

http://colnago.com/geometry-c60-2/?lang=en

Thanks a lot.. Wish u a nice ride and own u a beer (or more beer :) ), for helping me this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

3Pio wrote:
GT56 wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Thanks

you want the size 53 ?

Thanks a lot.. I just measured again, the saddle height is not 72 cm, is 71.5 cm

I want to buy a new frameset that would fit me, and since i have a long femurs if i go for a big frame (55cm), it would be too longish on the front (or i need to use 90mm stem). I already tried 55 and seem a bit big for me (in the reach part).

If i go for 53 cm frame, reach would be fine, but im afraid that setback wont :(

Also im considering Colnago C60 so please if can do it do it for C60 as well (53 trad, 50s or 55 trad)

http://colnago.com/geometry-c60-2/?lang=en

Thanks a lot.. Wish u a nice ride and own u a beer (or more beer :) ), for helping me this.[/quote]

just one more question before i go: how tall are you ?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I have an average setup for my height (174cm and seat height of 734mm with 172 cranks) and have ridden both 53 and 55 oltres.

For me that 55 felt wrong; for someone with who sounds smaller, I suspect it's going to be worse.
Official cafe stop tester

3Pio

by 3Pio

jekyll man wrote:I have an average setup for my height (174cm and seat height of 734mm with 172 cranks) and have ridden both 53 and 55 oltres.

For me that 55 felt wrong; for someone with who sounds smaller, I suspect it's going to be worse.

We are almost same height. Im 174.7 cm, and 83 inseam. Strange that i run the saddle lower then u :) I had much higher saddle, but now i found that this is more comofortable for me.

Maybe the best all my measurements:

Actual Inseam: 82.5 Cm
Trunk: 62.25 Cm
Forearm: 33.35 Cm
Arm: 63.20 Cm
Thigh: 60.50 Cm
Lower Leg: 54.70 Cm
Sternal Notch: 144.2 Cm
Total Height: 174.7 Cm

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I might actually be a bit more than that; it was fag packet maths from what I remember being my height (not in cm's :D)
Haven't got a clue about any other measurements though.

The 55 I rode just lacked a bit of zing the smaller bike had.
I went on a demo day 2 months ago, just out of curiosity, and ended up ordering a 53 (xr1 ultegra with special order paint ), but only found today its going to be end of may before it will come. They think :(
Official cafe stop tester

AJS914

by AJS914

3Pio, I recall that we had essentially the same discussion in your C60/Dogma topic. The XR2 geometry chart says it has a 74 degree seat tube angle. You are going to have the same issue with this frame, your current frame, the C60, or the Dogma.

I think you should sort out your setback on your current frame and then get a new frame with the same or slacker seat tube angle. If you can't sort out your ideal set back on the current frame then you know you need to find a frame with a slacker angle or try a post with more setback.

I saw that FSA makes a 32mm setback seatpost. Maybe that is what you need to get your saddle in a good position.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:3Pio, I recall that we had essentially the same discussion in your C60/Dogma topic. The XR2 geometry chart says it has a 74 degree seat tube angle. You are going to have the same issue with this frame, your current frame, the C60, or the Dogma.

I think you should sort out your setback on your current frame and then get a new frame with the same or slacker seat tube angle. If you can't sort out your ideal set back on the current frame then you know you need to find a frame with a slacker angle or try a post with more setback.

I saw that FSA makes a 32mm setback seatpost. Maybe that is what you need to get your saddle in a good position.

Thanks for suggestion.. I also think about getting FSA 32mm. But is there any negatives with going that much on the back? And for Oltre it would be a problem, becouse i can use only their seatpost (but they have two versions.. One 25mm , and other 30mm (seem that they put this version on 53 Oltre).

And please Tell me one more thing.. Are they ALL frames with 74 degrees have the same setback? (for example does C60 50s and XR2 in 53 have exactly same setback ? No difference at all (if they have same seatpost angle? )

EDIT: I just checked this on Pinarello chart, and seem that even they share the same setpost angle, the setback is not the same. So that why im asking this, to find a frame who will let me more setback and short reach

And should i consider based on my problem chainstay length or not important at all? (i thought if i got more on the back part of the bike, then it's better to have longer chainstay for better weight distribution, but maybe im wrong).

GT56

by GT56

i did the drawings on a C60 T 53 and 55

as you have sort of fixed the saddle setback (which with your saddle height a femur lenght seems OK) it does not really matter what the frame setback is as long as the midpoint of the saddle (is Selle Italia speak, there where the saddle is 7 cm wide) is more or less over the centerline of the seattube

the drawing show around 1 cm behind, which should not require a seatpost with more than 25 mm of setback

the 55 allows a maximum handlebar-drop of 7 cm max, (assuming a 20 mm headset cover and an 84 degree stem)

AJS914

by AJS914

As far as I understand, setback should be the same on two different frames with the same seat tube angle unless the manufacturer is measuring it with the sloping top tube rather than using a virtual horizontal top tube. You can also see a small difference depending on where they put the horizontal on the geometry chart. In the "old days" it was all based on center to center with 1" tubes. Now, with larger non-round tubes they have to decide what corresponds to "center to center". Still, with the same seat tube angle, the actual seat is going to end up in the same spot.

Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:As far as I understand, setback should be the same on two different frames with the same seat tube angle unless the manufacturer is measuring it with the sloping top tube rather than using a virtual horizontal top tube.

Sound logical.. But then why for example Pinarello 51.5, 53 and 54 even they all have 73.70 deg seatpost angle, they all have different Setback (145, 149, 154) http://www.pinarello.com/en/bike-2015/r ... 8-geometry

GT56

by GT56

because the shorter the seattube, the closer the top of the seattube comes to the vertical line through the bb :)

3Pio

by 3Pio

GT56 wrote:because the shorter the seattube, the closer the top of the seattube comes to the vertical line through the bb :)

Yeah :) U are right :) So based on my measurements, and geometries...

What would u recommend as ideal size for me?

1. C60 53 trad

2. C60 50S

3. C60 55 trad

4. Pinarello Dogma F8 51.5

5. Pinarello Dogma F8 53cm

6. Bianchi Oltre XR2 53

Maybe this thread (where u can see me on my Pinarello Fp3 53 cm and position on it...) can help as well..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138116&p=1217850#p1217850

Im really interested in ur opinion. And i know it's best to try them, but no chance to try (specialy Colnago), and want to buy the size that let me climb with my max, and also to be able to ride long tours (150-200 km).

Thanks

GT56

by GT56

3Pio wrote:
GT56 wrote:because the shorter the seattube, the closer the top of the seattube comes to the vertical line through the bb :)

1. C60 53 trad

2. C60 50S

3. C60 55 trad

6. Bianchi Oltre XR2 53

Maybe this thread (where u can see me on my Pinarello Fp3 53 cm and position on it...) can help as well..

Im really interested in ur opinion. And i know it's best to try them, but no chance to try (specialy Colnago), and want to buy the size that let me climb with my max, and also to be able to ride long tours (150-200 km).

Thanks

Desired handlebar drop ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

GT56 wrote:
3Pio wrote:

1. C60 53 trad

2. C60 50S

3. C60 55 trad

6. Bianchi Oltre XR2 53

Thanks

Desired handlebar drop ?

Im googling how to measure handlebar drop but there is different ways, and im getting different values.

Is there any method of determing this that u can suggest me ? For example, from what point of the saddle to measure? From the top? Or the Center of the saddle?

Is this the real way to measure it? http://www.hodska.com/mikemarch08_clip_image010.jpg

I measured on two road bikes that i have a chance to ride them and i have saddle to handlebar drop of 6 cm, and on my fixie (Bianchi Pista Sei Giorni), it's 10 cm (it's 53 cm size, pista geometry).

So seem that i'll need between 5 and 9 cm drop (on the begining of season im starting with less drop, and at the end need a bit more.Ussually is 1.5 cm difference, but i put this 5 to 9 cm drop, to have more flexibility for adjusting that).