Shifter Lubing Routine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jcgill

by Jcgill

I usually never get my bikes wet, but after a few spring rides it had a bunch of winter sand/dust all over it so i decided to wash the entire bike with a bucket of water and hose. I blew off the water with compressed air and towel dried the bike then lubed the chain....
A few days later i went to ride and it seems like my ultegra 6700 shifters are "stiffer" and require more force to shift/brake. The shifting is fine, just takes more force to actuate it.

For those of you that get your bikes wet regularly, what do you do to lube/maintan it after a good soaking?!

I am considering spraying some Boeshield T9 lube in the shifter mech after some internet searching.
Any other ideas?!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Yes, Boeshield T9 is a fantastic lubricant for shifters. I have been using it on my 6700 shifters ever since I saw this http://youtu.be/9657OoOY3oE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Oswald

by Oswald

It's probably the cables, not the shifter. I would never lube a shifter. It will attract dirt and you will not be able to clean the shifter without taking it apart. Just clean the cables or replace them.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Boeshield T-9 or similar (Finish Line 1-Step as an example) are perfect for this. Pull up the hoods and spray sparingly into any openings in the shifter body. It should flush out anything that's not supposed to be in there, and leave behind a light lubricant.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Lube the inside of the cable outers with GT85/WD40/whatever variation you have in your country. You may have some sand or grit in the system somewhere that just needs flushing out.

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

I've often pondered this too. I tend to use a lightweight spray such as GT-85 if the bikes been wet. Every so often I lube some of the pivot points inside with a light oil, in my case Morgan Blue Race oil. This routine seems to work for me so far, but I'd be interested to know if I'm likely to be doing more harm than good. Thanks

kode54

by kode54

IamnotWiggins wrote:Lube the inside of the cable outers with GT85/WD40/whatever variation you have in your country. You may have some sand or grit in the system somewhere that just needs flushing out.

rust may have started inside. lubing will keep it from corrosion every so often. that said...Di2 is great to not having to worry about replacing or lubing shifting cables.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

cpamplin

by cpamplin

mpulsiv wrote:Yes, Boeshield T9 is a fantastic lubricant for shifters. I have been using it on my 6700 shifters ever since I saw this http://youtu.be/9657OoOY3oE

I need to know more about the ceiling mounted repair stand in that video... want

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com