True monocoque frames. Who makes them?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Yes there is a way to do it. The carbon is laid around a semi solid mandrel that is basically a smaller male version of the mold VS the way the carbon is laid directly onto the mold like the cippo. There would still be overlapping layers places but not a solid seam like the cippo.

Note: Ive owned an RB1K and it was very nice. I really enjoyed that frame.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I once remember reading how Time (?) made their frames:
Wax male mandrels. The carbon is actually woven together like a sock (they were doing this way before BMC made their "Impec"), the sock is pulled onto the wax mandrel - resin/baked/whatever - wax melted out and reused.

That's a vague recollection. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit: word. http://roadcyclinguk.com/riding/factory ... t-921.html
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

The danish "Cykelmagasinet" had a test of a handful Italian frames last year, and the Cipollini RB1000 came out as the most flexy frame of them all in torsional/headtube stiffness. It was way below average there. In the BB area it was quite stiff, though. I am pretty sure that the construction method had noting to do with that, but the fundamental design.

This magazine is doing quite thorough stiffness testing with a bench test very similar to the one "Tour" uses.

kgt

by kgt

@kevosinn
Since you are in the industry, do you happen to know any other manufacturers making monocoques?

@prendrefeu
Time's technique is unique, I have a huge respect for their work, but that is not a monocoque.

@Mario Jr.
Yes I remeber this test and it's really strange since it contradicts all the testers who confirm an extremely solid front end. My experience, of my Bond, is of a very stiff headtube-fork as well. Who knows...

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

BMC??

Inviato dal mio LG-H815 utilizzando Tapatalk