SRAM eTap vs Campag Super Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Calnago wrote:
eaglejackson wrote: Do you care more about how it shifts or how it looks?

I care equally about both and would go Campy mechanical.

+1[/quote]
Whatever makes you happy, just don't piss on someone else. It don't make you right, just insecure.[/quote]
Insecure about what? I'll drop three cogs and sprint off before you get one... its laughable.[/quote]
Wow... you're faster than a old man. chapeau[/quote]
Its not about me vs you as a rider. Its about my old school Record mechanical shifting faster than etap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

BlackMadone wrote:Its not about me vs you as a rider. Its about my old school Record mechanical shifting faster than etap.

Maybe.... I concede that the Red 22 mechanical was faster shifting one gear but going to the smaller chainring and moving the rear 4-5 cogs is faster with eTap. I nthe 300 miles since getting eTap, i've gotten pretty good at shifting.

I've ridden Dura Ace but never Super Record. I'm sure it's like a Swiss watch.. but with a soul. Maybe one day.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I want to give you my 2 cents. I rode Sram Red 10 speed and after that Sram Red 22 on my S-works. I love the Red group. No problems with it. I love the yaw front derailleur and the fact that you can use the 50 chainrings and cross chaining to the 25 without a problem.
I sold the Red group for Campy Record 2015. It was love at first side when I saw Campy Record 2015, but now I regret it (a little bit).
I have to admit that the Campy 2015 groupset is very good and beautiful, but there is one thing that I don't like, and that is the fact that Campy Record 2015 doesn't love cross chaining. When cross chaining the groupset becomes loud and runs raw. I can't explain why. Several good Campy dealers checked this out, but they could not find a problem. The groupset works flawlessly, but runs a bit loud.
The Campy 2011-2014 Record groupset on my other bike doesn't have this problem although the shifting of this groupset is not as quick and good as on the Campy 2015 groupset imho.
I will probably go back to Sram red Etap in the near future, but I will wait for the second generation (I think). I don't like the fact that Sram Etap officially can't handle 12-30 cassettes. Another problem is that Sram Red 22 or Etap is not compatible with my Lightweight Meilenstein rear wheel. I wonder how the Sram Etap would run with a Campy cassette?

If I had to choose between Campy SR mechanical 2015 and Sram Etap on a Colnago, I would probably go SR for now. When Sram Etap can handle bigger cassettes and is improved I would go for Etap.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

stormur

by stormur

Only thing which changed '14 vs '15 and could make drivetrain work noisier on crosses is crank. Switch crank to 5arm and you'll get back A. quiet work (if '15 is louder IYO ) B. Nicer look ( not disputable ! ;) ) . Cassette and chain remain same as '14 .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

poppiholla

by poppiholla

You are right. I think the problem of the noise is due to the chainrings. I tried the 50/34 combo and the 53/39 combo but the noise remains the same. Even after 1000km.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

When you say it's noisy I'm presuming you're not referring to any front derailleur rub? Because on a properly set up system you should be able to hit all the cogs cleanly without touching the front derailleur.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

poppiholla

by poppiholla

No, there is no rub what so ever. The system works flawless but runs noisy when cross chaining. The problem must be the chainrings on the 2015 groupset.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Have you tried a different lube, like Duomonde Tech Lite. After about 3 applications I would be surprised if you're still finding it noisy. And does the noise occur on both cross chain scenarios (small/small and big/big)? What bike is it on? Short chain stays? Chain long enough. It's not on a disc braked bike is it, with 135mm spacing at the back. Still, you said your pre 2015 stuff worked fine. I seem to recall my brand new 2015 stuff being a teensy bit noisier at setup when cross chained but once lubed and ridden some, nothing. Compact (34/50) rings by chance? I use mostly standard rings, and one setup with 36/52. Anyway, that's all I got, a little bit off topic now anyway.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

Small small on my 2014 Chorus bike is pretty noisy. Big-big is ok.

Still, I think this is a non-issue. First, I don't like cross gears. They seem hard on the drivetrain. Second, there are not many situations where you need to use those gears. Usually, it's because you didn't plan ahead enough for the terrain. If you are in small/small you weren't paying attention and should probably have been in the big ring anyway.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

True, you should never find yourself crossed over like that, except for the rare occasion and only because it's just for a few seconds and saves you from changing up front. In that case, I may occasionally very rarely find myself in big/big, say the last hard strokes cresting a hill or something (providing it wasn't so bad that I was already in the small ring). But I don't think I'd ever find myself in small/small. Still, it should be doable and without much fuss or noise, but not a big concern if you get a "little" rub on the inside of the big ring when crossed. But it would still bug me and I'd be looking to make sure everything was perfectly set up and know the reason for the noise, if I couldn't eliminate it completely.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

moonoi wrote:Wow, I thought my question was reasonable, didn't think the thread would degrade like this.

As for which groupset my head says SR Mechanical, my heart says eTap (because I like the idea of no cables and nice clean lines).

Still no closer to deciding, but still got a month before the frameset arrives.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

I have the C60, traditional geo and went with Campy SR mech. Really love it - just beautiful together. And doesn't an Italian made frame deserve the beauty of Italian components?

And FWIW, I'm old school - I like being able to fix my bikes. You can do that with mech systems, far less so with electronic.
It only hurts if you think.

moonoi

by moonoi

Well I just had an unexpected expense, so I'm going to have to lower my expectations for this build to stay in budget. I'll probably end up with Ultegra Di2 instead, as I can get a really good price on it locally, with a Duraace crank.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

by 9734344

What?
After all that?

We've just gone through six rounds of S.Ram vs Campag.Sr ... for nothing
oh...............oh...........
an unexpected expense, .........oh.......
I know, your joking aren't you.... ha ha ha good one.
The unexpected expense was SR EPS wasn't it

Budget........ You sold a kidney didn't you?

Good one ha ha
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

For all those saying that an Italian frame deserves an Italian groupset; isn't Campag mainly manufactured in Eastern Europe?

Campag works exceptionally well when set up right and is great to use. When it goes wrong though; jeez. Spares are also mega expensive or super hard to find whereas SRAM spares seem readily available and more competitively priced. You pay your money...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

9734344 wrote:What?
After all that?

We've just gone through six rounds of S.Ram vs Campag.Sr ... for nothing
oh...............oh...........
an unexpected expense, .........oh.......
I know, your joking aren't you.... ha ha ha good one.
The unexpected expense was SR EPS wasn't it

Budget........ You sold a kidney didn't you?

Good one ha ha

Nope, I had mentioned earlier in this thread that EPS was out of my budget, but SR Mech and eTap are within $100 of each other so that's what I was considering.

I just had to pay out additional medical costs that weren't covered by my insurance policy for my kid, if you really must know.

That money has to come from somewhere and unfortunately it's come out of my bike build budget. I could leave the frame unbuilt for another 6 months while I recover (save) the money, or build it up with a lesser group and get out riding. I prefer the latter.