SRAM eTap vs Campag Super Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fogman

by fogman

I would consider Chorus if it is in your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

AJS914

by AJS914

Chorus is where it's at. For the $1000 premium you pay for SR, you get some nice bearings, a little more carbon bling, red logos, and you save 220 grams. Is that really worth $1000??? Shifting is identical. If weight is a concern you could get some weight weenie brake calipers and get back 100 grams.

BTW, where are you seeing that etap and SR cost the same? I thought etap cost quite a bit more. Ribble has a SR group for $2093 and Chorus for $1096.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

junchen

by junchen

Yeah, how about chorus + July brakes? Saw e July brakes at bike2* at reasonable price, 200g only.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

moonoi

by moonoi

Chorus is the same price as Ultegra Di2, so I thought to give electronic shifting a go, seeing as I've never experienced it, although I suppose I should consider it.

I can get eTap at almost cost through my friend at the distributor, can't do the same with SR as I don't have friends at that distributor, have to pay normal people prices for that :-)

Don't use online ordering here, as import taxes are prohibitive, so at best it works out the same price, normally it costs more as they also include the shipping fees as part of the valuation when calculating duty.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

stormur wrote:Only thing which changed '14 vs '15 and could make drivetrain work noisier on crosses is crank. Switch crank to 5arm and you'll get back A. quiet work (if '15 is louder IYO ) B. Nicer look ( not disputable ! ;) ) . Cassette and chain remain same as '14 .

What he said. From my experience all moving mech parts have a certain frequency and it just makes sense that there would be a different frequency from the 5 arm to the 4 arm crank.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

moonoi

by moonoi

In the end I managed to get a really really good deal on eTap, and by keeping the wheels from my current bike instead of getting new ones, I can just about make it work financially, I've been informed the frame arrives next month now. Looking forward to building it up!

Thanks for all the advice, it's been very useful. Will post the build once finished.

moonoi

by moonoi

And in case anyone cares, already received it. I went with the eTap upgrade kit and got the quarq red crankset and brakes separately. Just have to wait for chainrings as they don't have any in stock of the new blast black rings until next month.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Wow. Congrats!
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

hanzypanzy
Shop Owner

by hanzypanzy

Sorry to hi-jack, does anyone have any ideas on the availability due into Europe or UK for Etap Aero shift kits, even full groups?

Liggero

by Liggero

srams sucks in terms of reliability and performance, to a level in which, there is no point on testing their products, it's better to wait for real users to speak their opinion. And I mean people who get them for free, or journalist who speak out of their publications.

So far, if you buy sram, you are a beta tester who has to pay to test, with broken shift levers or new electronic groupsets that touch front ders... Any racing team with no drive train sponsor gets shimano, never sram.

I'ts a pity, because sram is by far the most innovative of the three companies, but it's a pity that that is not followed by performance or reliability. The mtb groupsets are a joke, with 300€ cassettes, and bike center of gravity shifted 40 centimeters out of the center to the rear wheel...
Happy Trails !!!

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Liggero wrote:The mtb groupsets are a joke, with 300€ cassettes, and bike center of gravity shifted 40 centimeters out of the center to the rear wheel...

Do you own xx1? I do, and believe me, 3 years later with only chain needed replacing, it is a wonderful groupset..
It is also the most silent groupset I ever rode. (including road bike's).

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Liggero wrote:The mtb groupsets are a joke, with 300€ cassettes, and bike center of gravity shifted 40 centimeters out of the center to the rear wheel...

I don't think you know what 'centre of gravity' means.

drhex

by drhex

Liggero wrote:srams sucks in terms of reliability and performance, to a level in which, there is no point on testing their products, it's better to wait for real users to speak their opinion. And I mean people who get them for free, or journalist who speak out of their publications.

So far, if you buy sram, you are a beta tester who has to pay to test, with broken shift levers or new electronic groupsets that touch front ders... Any racing team with no drive train sponsor gets shimano, never sram.

I'ts a pity, because sram is by far the most innovative of the three companies, but it's a pity that that is not followed by performance or reliability. The mtb groupsets are a joke, with 300€ cassettes, and bike center of gravity shifted 40 centimeters out of the center to the rear wheel...

Did you ever ride SRAM or are you just trolling? Have ridden RED in parallel with Campagnolo for the last eight years for about 50k kms and had no issues at all. Granted, it always was more noisy and not as bling as the Campa stuff, but I always loved the way it was shifting, especially the back. Have just upgraded to etap and am liking it a lot over the first few 100k.
Florian

gmakris

by gmakris

i choose etap and using for a month now. Very pleased and zero issues.

The key difference is the wireless connection and the main reason I decided electronic shifting.
I would not bother to see anything wired since I like it simple and easy to maintain in case of a problem.

To install eps you need many skills and more important if you have an issue or you want to upg its PITA. The cost of 600 euro to upg from V2 to V3 (battery unit & controller) is just ridiculous....

Oswald

by Oswald

On that frame, I would put a mechanical Super Record and a Hyperon clincher wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com