Tubular or Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do you usually ride clinchers or tubulars?

Tubular
42%
Clincher
50%
Tubeless
7%

Total votes: 339

Barteos

by Barteos

Tubeless of course.
Faster, more comfortable and practically puncture free. The only advantage of tubs I can see is slightly lower weight.
I run schwalbe One 25 and 28mm (27mm and 31mm actual widths) at no more than 60- 70PSI 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

Tubeless of course.
Faster, more comfortable and practically puncture free. The only advantage of tubs I can see is slightly lower weight.
I run schwalbe One 25 and 28mm (27mm and 31mm actual widths) at no more than 60- 70PSI 8)

I am in the same boat as Barteos.... just loving Schwalbe Pro One tubeless. I have run tubulars for 30 years and clinchers also for the better part of that. The new tires strike the balance for me. I have about 2500 miles on the first set.. no pinch flats or flats ..period. No more gluing or buying expensive tubulars any longer.

basurper

by basurper

upside wrote:Tubeless of course.

I am in the same boat as Barteos.... just loving Schwalbe Pro One tubeless. I have run tubulars for 30 years and clinchers also for the better part of that. The new tires strike the balance for me. I have about 2500 miles on the first set.. no pinch flats or flats ..period. No more gluing or buying expensive tubulars any longer.

+1 pro one 25.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

THUNDERHORSE

by THUNDERHORSE

clinchers but I have been looking into learning more about tubs. any info to sway me to make the switch?
On Plastic Existence

964Cup

by 964Cup

Tubulars: lower rolling resistance, higher possible pressure, lighter weight. Wheelsets are *much* lighter than equivalent clincher. Can be run with some pre-loaded sealant to get most of the puncture-resilience of tubeless (although this adds weight and can gum up the tub if you're unlucky or let it spend a long time deflated). Take a bit of practice before you can fit them quickly and straight, but once you're up to speed it's fine. I can change a tub at the roadside faster than my clubmates can fix a punctured clincher (partly because you don't need to check the tyre for whatever caused the puncture since you're changing the whole tyre anyway).

Tubeless: great puncture resilience, lower RR than clinchers. Limited pressure (110 or 120 psi max). Rims can be heavy; very limited choice of full-carbon tubeless rims at the moment. Ideal for disc and Audax builds IMO.

Dokas

by Dokas

i use clincher, but i will buy tubula!

lee16

by lee16

Tubulars! You'll never go back to Clinchers.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

If you use tubulars always have an extra set of wheels. Cause replacing a tyre will take at least a day. I personally clean and reglue if it's a new tyre so it turns into a week job. Stretch, glue, dry, glue, set, and dry.

But hey benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

I have ran tubulars for a while... ride was superb (Corsa CX), punctures frequent and expensive to fix (about 20 GBP a pop)... carrying a spare was a bit of a hassle and I never got to trust just using a can of spray sealant. Since I tried tubeless (One, IRC Roadlite, Sector) I have not looked back.
Tubulars have only one advantage, which is safety... they stay on the rim no matter how low (or high) the pressure is... clichers don't and tubeless might or might not. In a race scenario that's the difference between life and something else, in a non race scenario things are less dramatic and practicality trumps safety.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

For those of you who run tubeless do you add sealant to the tire? If yes how much additional weight increase do you see and does the sealant detract from the benefits of having tubeless tires?

kdne80

by kdne80

You should go for tubluer

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Clinchers for training and commuting, tubulars for racing and rides in the hills.
Tried tubular but it was too much mess and hassle for little if any improvement.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

froze

by froze

I use to use tubulars years ago but I hated them, too much work and too prone to flats, so when the first good clincher tire came out I got new rims and tires and never looked back.

gavin

by gavin

Ride clinchers on road bikes and tubulars on TT race bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PhilippCX

by PhilippCX

Clinchers + latex tubes for CX and road. No problems in combination with carbon rims either.