Tubular or Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do you usually ride clinchers or tubulars?

Tubular
42%
Clincher
50%
Tubeless
7%

Total votes: 339

KarlC

by KarlC

LouisN wrote:I prefer tubulars. Ride them 90% of the time outside, from april to october.

I was trying to find a recent tubular tires Crr test to find the lowest resistance rolling tubular but without much sucess...

Louis :)

I just got a set of Ziip Tangentes SL Speed 27mm they tested well.

You might like this .....
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2014/09 ... d.html?m=1
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

Tubs tubs and tubs. Sealants made it the go for sure. Though certainly can be expensive if you eschew the harder wearing tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Tubs if I have a personal mechanic to stretch, glue, mount, and replace them as needed. Otherwise, clinchers.

I don't have a personal mechanic.

And I dislike glue.

FreaK

by FreaK

I'm my own personal mechanic so, that doesn't sway me much.
I've been riding gatorskin tubulars all winter. Real winter winter and the only thing that worries me is freshly broken beer bottles, well that and this one off camber turn. I went down twice in the same spot. I love tubulars, but Gatorskins are no racing tyre! I think i'll grab something else for that bike once they're worn out.

I've had much worse reliability with clinchers, but I've probably gone through fewer clinchers than tubulars on my own bikes.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

Vermu

by Vermu

Would like to go from clinchers to tubulars but so far clincher have been so easy to live with. Tbh a bit afraid to do the transition and at the same time put some money on new wheel set.
Then again really tempted to switch when upgrading wheelset.

gravity

by gravity

Used to ride tubular but it's such a hassle after 4 puncture in a month. No doubt tubular rides better but the time spend prepping wheels isnt worth it IMHO. Perhaps i'm not "true" cyclist but i really dont care. I ride alu clincher exclusively now.

Just personal observation: any clincher cotton tires with latex tube ride almost as good as vittoria corsa tubular but clincher cotton tires wear out pretty fast and really puncture prone.

joepac

by joepac

Clinchers... I can ride low rolling resistance clinchers all spring and summer and change them myself in a matter of minutes if they flat. I don't have the time to spend hours prepping and days waiting every time I need change a tire... Even changing out brake pads and switching wheels for races is enough of a PTA that I just always ride on my carbon race wheels once the season starts. My Schwalbe One clinchers have flatted once in 2100 miles, so the pain and mess of changing a tubeless tire with sealant does not seem worth the small gains of RR and flat protection

Everybody I know who rides tubies uses gatorskin so they can avoid flats, which really defeats the purpose of suppleness of tubies. 100-200g in weight reduction doesn't overcome the massive increase in rolling resistance from using gatorskins over racing tires.

LenJ

by LenJ

Life is to short to deal w Tubulars. I rode them for years but once the performance gap went away (other than weight) they just aren't worth the hassle to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

I use carbon wheel for weight/rim_depth ratio.
I couldn't find any reason to use carbon clincher.
They are much heavier than carbon tubulars.

Additionally, I suffer two terrible tubular puncture during 4 yrs of riding. However, I had more than 3 times of punctures during only one season.

I will go riding with tubular.

cafegeek

by cafegeek

Tubular.
Most people think tubular tire go repeatedly flat.
That's not true. If you check your tire pressure before riding, your tire will be fine.
In addition tubluar is more light than clincher.

KarlC

by KarlC

For me Tubular.

I ride with buddies on the same roads, they have clinchers, we have been keeping track of who gets more flats so far they are losing. Also I have only had 1 flat that Sealants did not fix, it was a 3/4" gash from broken glass that would have put any tire down for good.

For me gluing up new tires a couple of times a year is not an issue, its ez really, just do it on your off ride days.

Its also ez to find videos on You Tube of how to, install new Tubulars, Use Sealants, Ezaly Replace a Tubular on the road and so on. Like anything new it can take a few tries to get used to it, but once you do I see no reason ride clinchers.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

PinaRene

by PinaRene

LenJ wrote:Life is to short to deal w Tubulars. I rode them for years but once the performance gap went away (other than weight) they just aren't worth the hassle to me.

Live is to short to ride on clinchers - enjoy life, ride tubulars :wink:

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Tubulars 99% of the time. They just feel better. Experimenting with tubeless on my tubeless ready clincher rims. If they weren't such a nightmare to get my specific tyres on my specific rims if probably use them more when it's wet out. But mainly to preserve the life of the carbon brake tracks on my tubular wheels, no so much for concerns of puncturing.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I love tubs, but the roads round here really don't. So I run tubeless. I can't honestly say the difference is substantial in feel, beyond those perfect moments when you find yourself on a glorious downhill on real Tarmac, as opposed to shit chip-seal. That's when I miss Corsas. And then I hear the hssss-pft of a self sealing puncture and realise I've saved a load of arsing about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

All three but tubulars feel/perform best to me.