Colnago C60 Traditional vs Slooping vs Pinarello Dogma F8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

DrJeffers wrote:No useful views here on disc vs non-disc, but i doubt very much your suggested build would be under 7 kg. Mine is 7.1kg, smallish frame size (48s) without too much paint on it (mostly gloss coat over raw carbon!) with Campag Record and Shamal Mille wheels, carbon bars etc. You'd need top-end tubular wheels and groupset to get into the sub-7kg category, and disc stuff i imagine isn't on a par in weight terms currently.

I wanted to buy Shamal Mille and got the same price (even cheaper), with regular Shamal Ultra. But i read a lot of peoeple have problems with black side wall pealing when they ride on the rain day. So i ended with Shamal Ultra.

What is ur experience with this? Is it black braking coat still as when they were new, or there is some pealing off of this ?

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

Brake track mostly still like new after about 2000 km, and some wet miles in a 200k sportive i did. A few minor scuffs here and there but mostly from contact scuffs, no sign of any peeling.

Have to say the brake performance is vastly superior to anything i've had on other alloy rims - its really noticeable! Some of that might be down to the expensive blue Campag brake pads too, but i was genuinely surprised just how much better the stopping performance is - a rare case of the marketing actually matching up to a noticeable real world difference! I have to remember to go easy on the brakes now, particularly in the wet with tyres that don't like the wet (e.g. vittoria Corsa CX). Continentals stop much better!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micro553

by micro553

3Pio wrote:
micro553 wrote:Disc vs non disc.

I´ve read that Campa works with some disc brakes and when I try to build the bike wrench science it get pretty light even with something like Zipp 30 disc wheel set.

If I go disc but Campa AND then Campa make own hydraulic disc brakes I prob need a "update kit" - right?

I like Campa (just looks I have not tried them)
I like disc but not the extra weight and I think shimano don´t look as good as campa on a C60.

What do u guys think of this
C60 Italia RSBK Trad 53 DISC
Campa Chous (maybe ESP depends on price)
Some disc brakes - Can I even go hydraulic? If not is it worth doing or just go rim brake?
Wheels to start with something like NoTubes Grail, or Pancenti SL25 with DT350´s
Enve Kit
Romin PRO saddle
Vittoria Corsa Speed

I nuess I will be under 7 kg?

The pro is that I get a more future proof frame with disc brakes. And with Campa Chous I get a good looking groupset thats okej light.

That Future Proof thig is marketing Weapon.. We always want to be future proof, and because of that we are not buying things we really like, then buying things that marketing part of the companies make us thinking that is right way.. In term of brakes.. If normal rims brake obviosly work for so many years on road bike, why shouldnt in the future, to dont be future proof? Light, almost maintence free, and working fine... The only thing as i said before to maybe think about disc brakes is if u want carbon tubular wheels with proper braking on steep downhill. But for that reason i picked Shamal Ultra and not Bora, so i dont worry about it as well..

About NoTubes, also i was avoding buying new wheelset, waiting for Tubeless more version of tires and system that actually work.. At the end, i bought the normal Shamal Ultra, and not 2Way Fit, because it works very good. Im using Vittoria Latex Tubes, and in 900 km NO FLATS AT ALL.

For me Road bike should be Simple, light and easely servicible if it's needed on the road.

Btw, because of that FUTURE proof, in the 2000, instead of buying Titanium Hardtail (which i guess would still riding), i bought Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC 99, which even having the best system then, i replaced soon Suspension Shock (i upgraded to after market Risse Racing), because stock didnt work, i need to upgrade the link (because of a lot of play), and instedad of enjoying the ride, i was resolving the things.. Im still sorry that i didnt bought Titanium frame then. At least that bike had Shimano XTR V-Brake, which workded very well (with Kool Stop). Then in 2008 i bought Specialized Epic Full Suspension, and after 3 rd replacement of shock under warranty, finally working without problems. On that bike i have Magura Marta SL Discs, which i need to replace brake pads very often, and to have maintence with oil replacement, and i cant say that this brakes work much better then old Shimano XTR V-Brakes.

About Specialized Romin Saddle u are mentioning.I have use Specialized Romin Evo Pro Saddle for 2 years on my Pinarello.Look like comfortable and very good (i tried on demo day on Specialized Venge and i like it).. But, the problem with this saddle is that it's designed to keep u in one spot, which i dont like because i want to change position where i sit, depend of the terrain, and riding style. Now i have Selle Italia Carbonio Flow, which seem that i prefer more. It's too early to say, since i have it 2 weeks, and max distance i ride is like 40 km (climbing/downhill).

So i said after almost 2 years of reading reviews, forums etc, even i have a chance to pick what i want now (disc vs non disc for example, or mechanical vs esp), i decided to keep it simple, functional and light

Record Mechanical (Chorus is also very nice, if i didnt get nice price of Record, big possability that i'll end with Chorus)
DrJeffers wrote:No useful views here on disc vs non-disc, but i doubt very much your suggested build would be under 7 kg. Mine is 7.1kg, smallish frame size (48s) without too much paint on it (mostly gloss coat over raw carbon!) with Campag Record and Shamal Mille wheels, carbon bars etc. You'd need top-end tubular wheels and groupset to get into the sub-7kg category, and disc stuff i imagine isn't on a par in weight terms currently.

Regular Version of Shamal with Latex Tubes (this really made difference)

And definitly NonDisc version.

Of course this is just my point of view, doesnt mean that u have to do it same, because we all have different valid arguments. I want to reply on this, because i have the same doubts as u :), and this is what i decided.

I Think this is great to hear diffrent opinions. Thank u.

It´s alot of Money (for me) so I really like to do my homework and get as much info and optinions as I can Before I make up my mind.

Maybe just go mechanical Chous groupset and some okej Wheels. Thats the less expencive way.

Then save up for really good Wheels - I like the Enve 3.4

I Think the hardest thing for me is the disc vs non disc.

But more things are hard.

Groupset
Wheels - but not that hard as I´m goibg with okej Wheels to start with and alot will do at this Point.

I Think my goal is:
1 Get a supernice frame - this way I can upgrade in the future
Get a okej Group - In 2 years new things will have come out
Get a decent starting wheelset

micro553

by micro553

Just to be clear - the next bike for me is a summer road bike.

I have MTB
I have Spec Diverge for not summer use. Maybe I will sell this and get a cheaper gravelbike. Depends on how much the C60 will be.

mimason

by mimason

It does not seem like the F8 is/was really an option or a good one for you as you've considered it nervous and harsh. I'm not sure I can agree at all and I'll admit to owning one as well(size 54). It is neither, but that is up for rider wants/interpretation and you should not compromise your confidence in the saddle. I will say that you can significantly manipulate rider feedback with the contact points. I've tried multiple wheels, tires and pressure, bars and stem combo and every single change has impacted how the bike rides/feels. I think this is actually pretty amazing that I can finesse the bike setup to tweak things how I want. Of course, this is not limited to the F8. You should be able to do that with every bike within fit parameters. What was interesting is how much handling/steering changed from a 120/110 stem and shorter/longer reach bars and then going back to 120mm stem and different bars, alternate, rinse repeat then carbon to aluminum stems and back. Add Enve to Bora One wheels with 23s then 25 tires from various brands. I am now riding in a setup that is the most 'rigid' so far but provides amazing road feedback and responds to every input quickly and is all day in the saddle comfortable without fatigue and I am very aero.

Good luck with your decision and just get the bike you want that complements your riding style, fits you the best and enjoy it.

jimborello

by jimborello

Im was considering these options for a new bike, but there is something about the C60 that makes me drool about it. Im definitely going for a C60, Im pretty sure the ride is spot on for what you would expect from the best offering of either of these 2 brands. Dont overthink it!

3Pio

by 3Pio

I done some geometry analyzes on geometry on C60 and Pinarello Dogma F8

I found out that both Colnago and Pinarello use fixed Fork Rake (43mm), and they play with HeadAngles in different sizes (seem that this way they safe money in production, instead having different Fork Rake for different sizes) (i found out that seem that a lot of brands doing this).

Also found out that based on Fork Trail, handling is different. Ussually is used 55-70 mm Fork Trail, and if Trail is on the lower side, then Bike is more stable on low speed, and with more direct handling, and if Trail is on higher side, the bike is slow steerin, less stable on slow speed, and more stable on higher speed.

From the first side if i need to choose all around bike, i would like this value somewhere in the middle, lets say 61-62mm.

Since Colnago hide their Head Angles, i found out only for 50s, which is pretty slack 71.5 deg.

Using http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php i found out that C60 50s would have Trail of 68 mm, which is pretty high.

I cant find Head Angle for 55 trad, but based on what i found i guess it's about 71.7 deg (if someone know exactly i'll be very thankfull to know this), which lead that Trail of 55 trad would be 67mm

Also i found as longer chainstay, then better for climbing. They started doing short chainstay becouse there were not enough stiff materials, but now there is enough stiff so definitly longer is better.

As i can see on http://colnago.com/geometry-c60-2/?lang=en

Both 50S and 55 have the same length of chainstay, 405 mm, but also i found some geometry chart that saying that 55 have chainstay lenght of 402mm.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7400/1306 ... 289c_b.jpg

So if they are both 405mm, it should be same in term of climbing.. But if it's true that 55 have 402mm, then maybe that's the reason why 55 have better clibming performances? (Please if somone know for sure to clear this.. How long is 55 trad chainstay length? 402 or 405 mm?)

Let's see now number for Pinarello Dogma F8

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... 688252106/

53 cm Size have head angle of 72.50 deg.

If we calculate Fork Trail based on fork Rake 43mm, then we are getting 62mm fork trail (for 25mm tires), and 61mm (for 23 mm tires), which seem like ideal all around fork trail.

Chainstay length of Pinarello Dogma F8 is 406mm.

So does this mean that Pinarello Dogma F8 in 53 cm size is better all around bike, and better for climbing then C60 50s or 55 Trad?

As i understund different size would have different handling, so i made compare only of sizes that im interested.

I would be thankfull if someone else make this comparation as well or correct me if im wrong

Greetings

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

jimborello wrote:Im was considering these options for a new bike, but there is something about the C60 that makes me drool about it. Im definitely going for a C60, Im pretty sure the ride is spot on for what you would expect from the best offering of either of these 2 brands. Dont overthink it!

Thumbs up to this. Geometry is important to a point, but there's more to it than that. A mm here, a mm there, but these bike are built in completely different ways, with very different ethos, and they have different souls and ride feel, geometry aside. But they are both racing thoroughbreds, and performance wise, for most 'mortals' both of these bikes will give you everything you want - both of these bikes have been ridden up mountains by pros in the grand tours. If one 'speaks' more to you, that's probably the one you'll ultimately be happier riding, uphill or down. If you are unsure to the point that you are agonising over rear triangle shape, you probably need to find a way to spend some time riding both and decide on the road! I think it's very hard to buy a special bike in a truly objective way - 'mojo' is a big part of the equation. What does your heart say? :)

For me, i used my brain to narrow down some key criteria (basic geometry ballpark, robustness/longevity, ride quality, quality of press fit bottom bracket implementation), and decided what wasn't particularly important to me ('weenie' frame weight) then chose with my heart from the short list- the C60 is a completely unique bike - only Colnago could build it, and that carried weight for me. The ethos and heritage and, yes, aesthetics, were important. Actually, in the end i was choosing between the C60 and Bianchi Oltre XR2. The C60 had some key objective advantages (clever BB solution, smoother ride and likely frame robustness over many years of of ownership) but it was the 'soul' stuff that really swung it. I was lucky enough to compare the two side by side in a shop, and as soon as i saw it i was blown away by mojo of the C60. It was just clearly the bike that spoke to my heart the clearest, and that quality translated to the ride. By the way, i'm also a musician - i play and own expensive guitars too, and i use exactly the same method when buying them. You need an instrument to meet key performance requirements, but after that, its all about the soul and how it feels in your hands. Whenever i have bought with my head and not my heart in the past, it has been a mistake. :)

showdown

by showdown

you're getting deep into the weeds with the research into fork rake, and headtube angles. This is not to say that this stuff doesn't matter but to a degree it doesn't. That is, unless you've been riding the same bike and position for years and years you'll be very adaptable and after a few rides will start to learn your new bike and will begin to figure out how it handles and how you can change little things to tweak the performance.

I love my C60- it's by far the most comfortable bike I've ever owned and races very well (I race a lot of criteriums) I can't speak to the Pinarello but I assume it too is a fantastic bike. I think either one will more than meet your expectations and after a while you'll fall deeply in love with it.

My suggestion at this point is to stop using your head to make the decision- you've done as much as logic and rational thinking can do and it's time to let your heart and emotions guide you. Is there one that has lines that you prefer, one that has paint you prefer. Does one of these bikes make you smile more than the other... Both are excellent machines and unless you allow your heart to help make the decision you'll never really be happy...

Kind of like choosing a spouse... your brain can only help you so much... your heart will be the ultimate decider.

Edit: I just saw DrJeffers post.... great minds think alike!

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

Indeed! :)

3Pio

by 3Pio

DrJeffers wrote:
jimborello wrote:Im was considering these options for a new bike, but there is something about the C60 that makes me drool about it. Im definitely going for a C60, Im pretty sure the ride is spot on for what you would expect from the best offering of either of these 2 brands. Dont overthink it!

Thumbs up to this. Geometry is important to a point, but there's more to it than that. A mm here, a mm there, but these bike are built in completely different ways, with very different ethos, and they have different souls and ride feel, geometry aside. But they are both racing thoroughbreds, and performance wise, for most 'mortals' both of these bikes will give you everything you want - both of these bikes have been ridden up mountains by pros in the grand tours. If one 'speaks' more to you, that's probably the one you'll ultimately be happier riding, uphill or down. If you are unsure to the point that you are agonising over rear triangle shape, you probably need to find a way to spend some time riding both and decide on the road! I think it's very hard to buy a special bike in a truly objective way - 'mojo' is a big part of the equation. What does your heart say? :)

It would be much easier if i can test them both in my size and one day by another :), but not possible.. Since it would be complicated way of buying them, that why im doing all this thinking. :) For both of them i'll need to buy them 1000 km from my living place :), and before that i need to put some money in advance for an order, and to wait 3-4 months until i can pick it up (it would be 2000 km travel, but ok, i'll combine with Holiday).

For me, i used my brain to narrow down some key criteria (basic geometry ballpark, robustness/longevity, ride quality, quality of press fit bottom bracket implementation), and decided what wasn't particularly important to me ('weenie' frame weight) then chose with my heart from the short list- the C60 is a completely unique bike - only Colnago could build it, and that carried weight for me. The ethos and heritage and, yes, aesthetics, were important. Actually, in the end i was choosing between the C60 and Bianchi Oltre XR2. The C60 had some key objective advantages (clever BB solution, smoother ride and likely frame robustness over many years of of ownership) but it was the 'soul' stuff that really swung it. I was lucky enough to compare the two side by side in a shop, and as soon as i saw it i was blown away by mojo of the C60. It was just clearly the bike that spoke to my heart the clearest, and that quality translated to the ride. By the way, i'm also a musician - i play and own expensive guitars too, and i use exactly the same method when buying them. You need an instrument to meet key performance requirements, but after that, its all about the soul and how it feels in your hands. Whenever i have bought with my head and not my heart in the past, it has been a mistake. :)

U didnt go wrong not buying Oltre XR2, and im telling this allready owning a Bianchi Pista Sei Giorni. For me Oltre XR2 would be easier way, i can try it, and buy it Localy.. But i think Bianchi is far away from Pinarello and Colnago in term of quality, in term of everything.

Since u are musicion, then i'll compare with something like that, since im Audiophile and love to listen music :). All this remind me when i was buying an Preamp and Amp, also without possability of trying. At the end based on all the positive reviews, and amazed people all around the world how smooth and nice sound it is, i bough (without listening), McIntosh C2300 Tube Preamplifier and planned to buy McIntosh Amp as well.

Finally the Preamp came, classic design, nice looking...When i start playing music, all the sound were dull, soulless, and also the quaility of workmanship were not in the pair of price i payed (one knob were totaly off center, and i e-mailed McIntosh they say that they is handmade, and that why...Also they were toaly arogant if i asked some more technial question). For example Piano never sound properly. After few months, i started to blame my room, then started to playing with different tubes, but sound were totaly not good. I also had a chance to borrow McIntosh Amp to try with that, but the same dull sound, colored sound.

Luckily i had a chance to listen much cheaper device but totaly good engineering (Benchmark Dac1 Pre), which is DAC and Pramp in same time (and 4 times cheaper then McIntosh, or even more considering that replace two devices). For this device there is opinion that is very detailed sounding, not easy on ears, fatiguing.. But when i start listening Piano (and not just Piano, everything), wow.. Neutral, Natural, good imaging, the sound i wanted :) If something is bad recording u'll hear it, if it's good u'll enjoy it.. Totaly honest, not colored.Since they had also McIntosh to compare in same time, i found out that this is much better, and McIntosh is just good Marketing and they live on their Hirstory and heritage, and more status symbol then for real lovers of music. I Bought this Benchmark immediatly, even not planned that at the moment

I sold McIntosh after giving one more chance (piano sounded like it have cotton, not good imaging...) and were lucky enough to find Second Hand Krell Amp (about it also there is opinion that is not smooth, not silky sound as McIntosh), which in reality is with a lot of dynamic, neutral, good everything without coloration :), and i found out that i prefer real/neutral/not colored sound oposite of what McIntosh provide. On McIntosh u can listen for hours, but not exciting at all, boring. On Benchmark/Krell, more detailed, if it's good record u'll enjoy it, if it's bad u'll hear it. Maybe more fatigue, but also more exciting (as music should be).

Somehow C60 remind me a little bit on McIntosh (except in live look like better quality of workmanship compared to Dogma) (more smooth but maybe dull, not that direct and connected feeling), Dogma (more connected, more lively, but maybe fatiguing) remind me on Benchmark/Krell combination that i really enjoy for 5-6 years.

Oh.. One more thing.. Dogma would be more expensive between 550-700 eur compared to C60, and also i can see that Dogma loosing value much faster then Colnago

Sorry that i made this comparation using my HiFi hobbie but as u are musician im sure u'll understund me :) whats my point.

Also, i have long femurs which put my saddle all the way back, so probably geometry better handling this would have bigger chance to win this time :)

There would be chance to try Colnago C40 of my friend (2 sizes bigger, but i'll try it with short stem), so this can maybe help a little bit
Last edited by 3Pio on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

Glad you understood the comparison! Yes, i completely appreciate your experience with hi-fi! :D

No time for a long reply this morning, but I hope all this chat is helping with your deliberations! The sun is shining today, and this afternoon I have a 120km training ride planned - the weather is nice, so today is C60 day! :)
Last edited by DrJeffers on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjdong

by sjdong

Collage C60 emotional side, the technical side Maybe the Dogma?

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

It does all depend on fit. I need a very short head tube and that rules out most frames. The C60 works out too high at the front in a sensible top tube. The F8 is odd as the 47 and 50 are quoted as having the same top tube measurement at 52.5 but the 50 has a shorter head tube. I find that odd. I'm looking at a Bianchi Oltre because the measurements are good for me after ruling out a Colnago V1-R on fit, so I think you need to see how both bikes would measure up for you. I personally think sloping geometry looks much better on small frames (maybe <52cm) but traditional looks better on larger frames. When I used to ride traditional geometry when that was the only option I ideally needed a 50 cm frame (50 TT and 50 ST) for my leg length of 76 cm to allow a comfortably low front but a 52 or even 53 cm frame for reach as I am longer in the body (at 168 cm tall) but this gives a horribly high front end and the saddle basically sits on the top tube!
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

mimason

by mimason

CMcD, is the 76cm you saddle to BB? If so, you are all legs. Have you considered Cipo geometry? A buddy has the rb1k and that is a really aggressive setup which may work for you.

EDIT nevermind i read the rest of you post again.
Last edited by mimason on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com