Removing gear cable tabs from a Scott CR1 Frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Looking to get Sram Red eTap at some point very soon..

Obviously it is going to look better if I also get rid of the 2 downtube gear bosses and the one near the rear derallieur on my Scott CR1, so my question is, how hard is this to do, it will clearly not be covered by the warranty, but how are they generally affixed? Rivet? Bonded?, has anyone done this already? can you just carefully cut them off and tidy up with a file/sandpaper? Is this a job that is fairly easy or does it need to go to a frame repair place?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I suspect there will be a fair bit of this work going on in the near future. In fact some externally cabled bikes can great candidates for etap if you can get rid of the cable stops. I suspect in most cases it will be dremel work. Grind away and hope you leave the smallest scar. Then touch up with matching paint. It will never be perfect. The stops that are glued will produce the best results. If there is a rivet involved than you will likely be left with a small hole so some filling would be in order.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Maybe wait a year after the switch to eTap. Hacking and slashing on a frame is a permanent game-changer.

It's one thing to cap and plug internal cable holes. This change limits what you can do long term.

Say you want to buy a new frame, bring your eTap goods over to the new bake, and build the Scott up as a spare, or sell the frame..... regrets?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

use small drill head and drill out the two rivets holding the cable stop. use pliers to remove cable stop after rivets have been removed because it is also glued on.

ross

by ross

Have to say I'm totally with you on this, even after 3 attempts at cable routing I could never get my CR1 without the cables buzzing / resonating against the frame over rough ground...drove me crazy so its been stripped and sitting in it's box.

I was going to get my cable stops replaced with Di2 holes, but etap does look intriguing. Please let us know how you get on

Thanks for the info Mike :)

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Revisiting this, as I have just got my Sram Red eTap groupset..

I am happy to remove the gear cable tabs completely. Having looked the mounts closer, there is one rivet, and they also look to be bonded to the frame, what is the best way to approach this?

Approach:
Get a slightly larger drill bit than the the rivet head
Drill to remove the head
Pliers on the cable guide and waggle it off
Sandpaper to tidy up
Small sticker to cover the river hole

Has anyone done this? photos?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

yes, you must drill off the rivet head. use plyers to take off the cable stop, as it is also glued in place. be sure to remove the other end of the rivet from the frame or it will rattle and drive you nuts.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Thanks Mike, have you done this? can you post pics of the aftermath? Is a fair amount of force required to remove the bond after the rivet head has gone?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

yes, done this on a few frames. don't have pics. just be careful but deliberate. you may want to put some cardboard around the frame in case the drill slips. don't have to use much force. you may want to use adjustable wrench instead of plyers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com