Remove guts from Super Record brifters?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biki

by biki

Current generation Super Record mechanical brifters are 342g for the pair. Does anyone know the weight with the shifting guts removed? Before I go ahead an order some for the sole purpose of gutting them.

Is there a lighter option for a standalone brake lever that is still remotely ergonomic? Does tuned gutted Red work out to be lighter?

What tuning is possible on the SR levers besides drill/dremel and BTP clamps?

By the way, does anyone have any BTP clamps they want to sell, or know where they may be available under a different name? (Also looking for BTP downtube shifters should anyone wish to part with theirs.)

Thanks

stormur

by stormur

Thing is very do-able.

left shifter internals weight 62 grams incl grease. So both could save you around-ish 130g.

But visually... disaster :(
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

How about original Campag 10 speed brake levers - same shape as the previous Ultrashift.

LloydP

by LloydP

I would go lower down the range to centaur/Athena. The powershift levers have fewer smaller cut-outs on the lever so it remains more comfortable for the hands. I did this for my commuting bike and can weigh the internals when I get home. (Also cheaper for something you're going to pull apart anyway!)

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Illogical project. Also, use of the word 'brifters' gives insight to the flawed thinking process of the OP. No one says 'brifters'.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I did the left lever on my Pantani Replica. It's Record but the lever is now brake only as he used a downtube shifter. I did weigh the parts but can't remember the exact weight. It was less than expected. I've still got everything bagged up so I'll check it when I get home!

Miller

by Miller

ghisallo2003 wrote:How about original Campag 10 speed brake levers - same shape as the previous Ultrashift.

This is the correct answer with just one slight hitch, they're discontinued. Here is a used set on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-RE ... SwPc9W0LOl

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

ghisallo2003 wrote:How about original Campag 10 speed brake levers - same shape as the previous Ergopower

FIFY

note to OP. Only Campy trolls use the B word. And you're not a troll are you?
Last edited by bikerjulio on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LAN

by LAN

Shimano 9070 Di2 levers weigh 230g, but if you remove the electronic part they weigh ca. 200g for both.

Campa SR EPS weigh around 265g and you can probably remove the electronic parts from them also.

thp

by thp

~210gr for the 11sp and ~240gr for the 10sp levers. You need to get some foam to fill in the huge gaping cavity after gut them too, so add another 10gr for that.

Or just get the SRAM brake levers and be lazy, which I ended up with after all the fiddling. Also nice to be able to adjust the lever reach.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Off topic.... fill me in on why no one should call brake/shift levers "brifters".

Did that fall out of style, and now all the cool-kids call them something else?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

BikeAnon wrote:Off topic.... fill me in on why no one should call brake/shift levers "brifters".

Did that fall out of style, and now all the cool-kids call them something else?

1. It is an ugly made-up word that no one uses in conversation.

2. Show me any manufacturer or professional or journalist using the word. They don't for a reason. It sucks and reeks of newb.

3. The word just sounds lame and was never in style.

4. Shimano may use one lever for both shifting and braking, but not Campagnolo, making the word especially objectionable to Campyphiles.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

biki

by biki

I appreciate the replies and ideas. Still leaning towards new Campy because it has better ergonomics than Red and definitely than older Campy. The SR levers sound like they'll finish with as low a weight as any.

stormur, I believe the aesthetics will be fine as the brake lever makes a nice shape in its own right. As far as I can tell, the only missing visual element is the shift paddle, which is not essential visually.

Harmitc wrote:I did the left lever on my Pantani Replica. It's Record but the lever is now brake only as he used a downtube shifter. I did weigh the parts but can't remember the exact weight. It was less than expected. I've still got everything bagged up so I'll check it when I get home!

Thanks, interested to hear what you measure it as

LAN wrote:Shimano 9070 Di2 levers weigh 230g, but if you remove the electronic part they weigh ca. 200g for both.

Campa SR EPS weigh around 265g and you can probably remove the electronic parts from them also.

Interesting idea. The electronic guts weigh much less than the mechanical guts do, so probably finish with a similar weight. Anyone tried this at all?

thp wrote:~210gr for the 11sp and ~240gr for the 10sp levers. You need to get some foam to fill in the huge gaping cavity after gut them too, so add another 10gr for that.

I've heard of people filling the gaps with a few well-placed layers of carbon and resin, something I know nothing about doing, but would love to learn.

:beerchug:

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Check the ergonomics on the TRP RRL SR levers. Might those work for you?
They are not super light but look good and are plug and play. Seems like you could tune those further to save some extra weight.

Campagnolo has Ergos. Not brifters... Ergos.

rgamble

by rgamble

Miller wrote:
ghisallo2003 wrote:How about original Campag 10 speed brake levers - same shape as the previous Ultrashift.

This is the correct answer with just one slight hitch, they're discontinued. Here is a used set on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-RE ... SwPc9W0LOl

I have two sets of these gathering dust. Let me know if interested.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com