Durable, high end white bar tape?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PSM

by PSM

No more white.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

I want white bar tape, which should I buy?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102350

wobbly

by wobbly

cpamplin wrote:
cdtf wrote:I read everywhere that it's impossible to clean white lizard skin tape, once dirty :/

This is true. It is plush, tacky and comfortable but impossible to keep clean. I brush it with green solution to get it "clean" but it still looks dingy and is certainly no longer white. I don't care enough to replace it just yet, but here I am searching the forum for durable white bar tape :)

+1 and yellowing after 1 season. Shame as good tacky tape until dirty

cdtf

by cdtf

BRM wrote:I want white bar tape, which should I buy?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102350

Out topic. This thread recommends Fizik, and I'm looking for something different.

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

martinko

by martinko

Pro Digital Carbon - thick enough and with nice texture.

nga

by nga

I've been using white tape for ages in my road, TT and CX bikes. My absolute favourite is Selle Italia's Smootape Classica Leather because it just doesn't collect any dirt. Or if it does, you actually can clean it with a cloth soaked in water. Even if you ruin it with oily fingers, mostly no problem! White leather tapes from other brands, eg. 3T's, aren't that good in terms of staying white. SI's tape is the only one that I've found really easy to just clean.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

wobbly wrote:+1 and yellowing after 1 season. Shame as good tacky tape until dirty

Reg Lizard skins tape, or any kind of bar tape for that matter. You keep it on for more then one season? it bags the question if you wear the same socks every day as well? :thumbup:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

3T Pro tape is hard wearing and easy to keep the white clean for long periods - much more so than for the more expensive 'team' tape, which gets grubby very quickly and won't clean back up again. I used it exclusively for a long period, but now prefer Cinelli for the plush feel, and resigned to rewrapping it more frequently.

MJB

by MJB

I can't handle glossy, smooth finish bar tape so all my experience is with sponge like cork tape.

Cinelli synthetic cork tape works best for me, it has darker flecks of cork in it so a couple of dirty rides do not show up nearly as much as the pure white corks. It also cleans easily with some simple household cleaning spray applied to long strips of rag. I give my one and only bike a 5 min session every second ride and have only changed tape once after 18 months from the first rolls.

I also have switched to pale coloured palm material on my gloves - grey suede - the black stuff is usually so poorly dyed that even a little perspiration has black dye coming off on the bars.

I hasten to mention I only and will ever only have one bike with white bar tape , all the rest are black - out of sight, out of mind..........

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

I have no idea what "modern look" means or how the tape texture could interact visually with deep wheels. I do know that the perforated tapes that we have now were never available in the past. I think you have things turned around. The Fizik is unmatched for durability and resistance to dirt.
Robert

Jingeon

by Jingeon

Fixing superlight!!

mimason

by mimason

+1 on the gloves comment. Black suede palms equate to more dye transfer. I use grey as well and this makes a big difference.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Specialized Rubaix. Stretches well while putting it on, unlike fizik...
Just like any other white tape, however, white one gets dirty. You have to take it off and wash it once in while...

tmr5555

by tmr5555

3T Pro Handle Bar Tape FTW.
Refuses to get dirty.
I used Bontrager and Pro before, had to scrub clean the pro bar tape literally after every ride.
Only downside of 3T is that it's less padded.

It is perforated though, but srsly It'll look fine!

sd5500

by sd5500

Prologo One touch. I have the white, but it has black "prologo" lettering. I personally like the look, but I also run a scratch 2 PAS CPC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com