Cipollini Nk1k or Scott Foil 2016 HMX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Hi friends,
I want buy one between this two bikes: Cipollini Nk1k and Scott Foil 2016 HMX.
I'm Italian so here the assistence of Cipollini work fine.
I love the Cipollini brand and the geometry of NK1K is perfect to me. But The new Scott Foil have a weight better than NK1K. The geometry of the Foil is a little lenght for me so I will need the integrated handlebar with a stem of only 9cm, a little short.

Which is the best frame between this two frames?
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic title edited to remove the screaming.

tinozee

by tinozee

The one that fits perfect! I personally love the look of the Cipos too in watching the races. Scott is great quality too though and cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Succisa75

by Succisa75

I just got my NK1K last week and so far I have been very happy with it. You can see my post in the Cipollini Club.
The NK1K might be slightly heavier but the power transfer and stiffness might give you that extra boost.

Also take in mind Cipollini's 10 year warranty. hard to beat that :)

arthurf

by arthurf

I doubt you will find anyone that has ridden both bikes yet. There has only been one NK1K posted on here and no Foils. I'm not sure if the Foil is even available yet in the HMX construction, the frames weren't due until May?

Neither will disappoint you, the Foil is more proven scientifically, lighter and has better qc but the Cipo does look better.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Succisa75 wrote:I just got my NK1K last week and so far I have been very happy with it. You can see my post in the Cipollini Club.
The NK1K might be slightly heavier but the power transfer and stiffness might give you that extra boost.

thanks!

Succisa75 wrote:I just got my NK1K last week and so far I have been very happy with it. You can see my post in the Cipollini Club.

I have already read with interest your posts.

-------------------

my uncertainty perhaps derives from the good light weight of the Foil. I really love to do also the climbs so maybe the Foil could be more multipurpose.

But I think also that during a climb the geometry not perfect for me is more negative of an additional weight.

So I' confused!

PSM

by PSM

10 yrs? After what I've heard Cipollini does not have any customer care at all. Am I missing something?

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

arthurf wrote:I doubt you will find anyone that has ridden both bikes yet. There has only been one NK1K posted on here and no Foils. I'm not sure if the Foil is even available yet in the HMX construction, the frames weren't due until May?

Neither will disappoint you, the Foil is more proven scientifically, lighter and has better qc but the Cipo does look better.

true. I know that it is impossible, so I ask a technical advice.

They are two frame similar but very different in the price and in the weight. So where is the true difference? which is the best?

kgt

by kgt

Cipollini is a much more exclusive frame that's why it is much more expensive.
1.NK1k it is a true monocoque - which is something very few manufacturers do nowadays.
2.NK1K is handmade in Italy and not mass produced in Taiwan (I guess you, as an Italian, would like to support your economy...)
3. While it is heavier than the Foil it will probably be much stiffer. Finally, it looks much more beautiful and well finished (have you seen the two frames side by side? There's no comparison really.)
4. NK1K is both mechanical and electronic groupset compatible. I am not sure about the Foil.

Of course both frames will do the job fine but it is like comparing an Audemars Piguet watch to a Tag Heuer. It's up to you.

ak47

by ak47

If I was italian I would go for the Cippolini no questions asked, especially if you are not worried about any price differences between the two.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

interesting..

no one is in favor of the new Scott Foil

stormur

by stormur

I wonder only, how to consider purchase of frame which has ZERO warranty and ZERO customer support, paying more than for simillar product (in performance) from manufacturer which provide both without any issues ?

With all my respect to MC and being big fan of buying locally, I would choose Scott. 2 reasons mainly : not insanely low headtube for the frame size and customer care/warranty.

However in EU law is different : SELLER is responsible for warranty issues, so buying from reputable business covers butt a bit more. Just a bit.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Doubt the Cippo would be stiffer than the Foil, since Scott HT/BB are always either #1-#2 in stiffness on all testing done and rigidity of the frame, and Scott has already released basic stats how it is even more stiff than previously, just more compliant in the rear of the frame.

The current Foil, which I owned the Team at one point, and now the Di2 Foil 15, although a bit harsh on the ride, is bomb proof. Surely the new design will be slightly more aero, stiffer, yet compliant according to people who reviewed it and Scott's released general data.

I really know nothing about the Cippo, because you rarely see them in the USA. Kind of like Canyon..haha..I saw one Aeroad like 1 week ago, first time ever in my area. Must have ordered it over seas from a friend etc.

Anyway, Cippo has shown it prowess on the World Tour as well. And as people have explained, if you love his flowing Italian locks, then support your local Countryman and brand if you want.

But the Foil isn't shabby, price is less, also World Tour proven, IAM on it now the new one, HMX will be out anytime now. Foil, probably one of the lightest aero frames out there.

Really up to you and your preference, they both have a lot going for them..but I haven't seen any stiffness test done on the Cippo or aero data ever anywhere.

Foil has tons of testing with the old design against major aero frames/brands.

http://www.aeroweenie.com/data.html

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

@kgt, have you seen both side by side?

kgt

by kgt

stormur wrote:I wonder only, how to consider purchase of frame which has ZERO warranty and ZERO customer support...

That's all in your head. All Cipollini frames have a 10 year warranty. Some Cipo owners may had problems with aftersales but that has happened to Scott owners as well (I know a few).

SLCBrandon wrote:@kgt, have you seen both side by side?

Yes, I have. Have you?
The finish and detailing of Cippolini frames looks amazing in comparison to most other carbon frames. Only Time and hi-end Colnago frames come close IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Friends, the MCipollini warranty in Italy is not a problem.
I have already tried their warranty service and it seems work.