Duotrap S and wheel spoke interference

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

Hi, weightweenies!

I recently received new madone 9.
I want to install Duotrap S, however wheel spokes interfere with the sensor.
My wheelset is Shimano's Dura 9000 C35 Tu.

I tested Bontrager's Aeolus 3 D3 to check whether its spokes interfere to Duotrap S.
(The wheel was intalled in shop's demo bike)
As you guys guess, Bontrager's wheel spokes didn't interfere to the sensor.
What a great team work of Bontrager and Trek!
I guess it happened because two wheels have different shape of rim and different spoke pattern.

Anyway, is there any method to use both duotrap S and interfered shimano's wheel?
Actually, I have garmin's speed/cadence sensor.
So,,, I can save my wallet, but you know that the integration is coooool.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The DuoTrap S is a cool piece of integrated kit. But if it interferes with the wheels you want to use then there's not much you can do. I tested several wheels with the Duotrap S sensor on my Emonda SL. I found that the Campy Neutron with it's offset non drive spoke holes in the rim combined with the low profile of the rim and the campy flange spacing caused spoke/sensor interference. So, that is another combo that won't work. If it's just "close" but not actually interfering, you might try gluing a rare earth magnet to the "inside" of the spoke that passes so that you have clearance. That's what I've done on my Campy Bora Ultra 35's.
Other than that, you'll probably have to resort to a different sensor system.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Quattroporte

by Quattroporte

Is the interference with the sensor itself or the with the grommet? Some disk wheels have Duotrap clearance issues on the Speed Concept, but it is usually with the grommet and removing or discretely trimming the grommet solves the issue. Don't know if this might work for you.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

I wonder how much you could shave off the sensor? Has anyone tried modifying them to stick out less? Could be an expensive test...

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Can you post pics of the issue you're having? If my Duotap sensor was interfering, I'd take a heat-gun or soldering-iron to the sensor arm, and get busy modifying.

Inside that arm can't be much more than some tiny parts. I'd even go so far as to strip/break the plastic arm, expose the sensor guts, and use some 3M tape to secure the sensor to the inside of the chain-stay. Lighter, more aero.

This IS WW, after all. Get out the Dremel.

efeballi

by efeballi

With interference, do you mean the sensor registering the spokes as magnets or spokes physically hitting the sensor? If the first, you can try setting the wheelsize as (actual wheelsize/number of spokes seen by sensor) and that could fix it, which would also make a magnet unnecessary. If the second, break out the Dremel.

Sent from my calculator using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

I'm so sorry, I don't have any pictures.
I bought and installed the sensor at the shop. After I and mechanic recongnized the issue, I returned the sensor at the place.

Following is simple schematic diagram (sorry, my drawing is suck with mouse)

As you can see, SPOKE itself hits the sensor. Not a magnet.
Actuatlly, there is no room for the magnet because spokes already interfere with the sensor.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

That is a good drawing, and a completely sh*t design. It's completely unacceptable that one of the top three largest bike companies in the world would make a frame integration that's incompatible with wheels made by Shimano.

I would go back to the dealer, have them contact Trek, and have Trek come across with an acceptable solution.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Very odd....

I have a Emonda SLR with the Duotrap S and have no fitment issues with either the Bontrager Race or Zipp 303 FC.

As you can see, I have almost 3/8" clearance.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Wow. Based on that pic I'm tempted to say something's wrong with Skunkworks setup.

Also...(sorry, pet peeve of mine) the word "fitment" has nothing to do with how things fit together. It's a noun. 8)

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

BikeAnon wrote:Wow. Based on that pic I'm tempted to say something's wrong with Skunkworks setup.

Also...(sorry, pet peeve of mine) the word "fitment" has nothing to do with how things fit together. It's a noun. 8)

I have an Emonda, he has a Madone 9. The frames are totally different so you can't assume if one fits the other should.

I'd call Trek Customer service: 1 (800) 585-8735

I had a question on my Emonda and they were able to answer it quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

oldnslow2 wrote:
BikeAnon wrote:Wow. Based on that pic I'm tempted to say something's wrong with Skunkworks setup.

I have an Emonda, he has a Madone 9. The frames are totally different so you can't assume if one fits the other should.

I'd call Trek Customer service: 1 (800) 585-8735

I had a question on my Emonda and they were able to answer it quickly.

Thx!
I live in another country, so I will visit the shop where I bought my madone.
If I get some any information or some, I will update this post.
Thank you for your kind again! ;)