press fit ceramic bb for my orbea frame ..should i ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fh8425

by fh8425

been wondering for a while if i should change the current bb on my orbea frame to ceramic type. Is the $ spend worth the gain ?

thx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fh8425

by fh8425

i having the USB hub on my campy rims and it makes a diff when compared to my steel bearing DT swiss's one ..

i guess it would be a leap of faith on this for me ..

should i go for the brand or just normal ceramic ones as the local price is a huge diff ..

bikerector

by bikerector

I think brand of ceramic bearings matters, as least in terms of longevity. Some aren't sealed the greatest so they spin well but some are sealed well which means they have a little bit of a bed in time for the seals to kind of wear themselves in. I use VCRC ceramic bearings with the cyclocross seals and there's a short period where the bearings feel a little more draggy than they do later on in their life. I had FSA ceramic on an older road bike that they came stock on when BB30 was the craze and they felt okay, seemed to last alright but I've had the VCRC for 3-4 years on various bikes and they're well made. Not sure if the ceramic does anything, honestly, but the bearing build itself has been spot on. Since pressfit became the new thing, I hate changing BB's so something that is no fuss has been great.

Disclaimer: I'm sponsored by VCRC. I currently have 4 sets of their BB's on road bikes, my cx bike, and my cross country mtb.

Having said all that, there are numerous good options out there. Enduro ceramic bearings seem popular around me. Seams it's enduro if you go ceramic or Chris King if you want steel bearings and some flair.

fh8425

by fh8425

actually i am on chris king steel bearing now (transferred from my previous bike) .. It is kind of need a service. Maybe i should service it to see if it feels better before jumping into ceramic ..

Thx for the advise guys.

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

Most folks say ceramic provides no added performance and is therefore worthless. Even the folks here, who said they liked it, couldn't point to a reason why.
Robert

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fh8425

by fh8425

guess i should clean up the CK steel one and live with it ..