Go with Specialized Allez Sprint or Cannondale CAAD12?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burninglegs

by burninglegs

I know the Allez Sprint is just coming out so there are limited reviews or experience with it. But I like what I have read so far about it. Same with the CAAD12, really good reviews. Both have nice geometries that will work easily for me. A little change in stem length there or a shorter spacer there will make it all work for me. So not worried about the geometries.

Is there any reason why I should or shouldn't go with one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Looking at that bottom bracket on the Allez Sprint, that thing has to be wickedly stiff and supposedly they spent just as much time on it in the wind tunnel as they did the 1st gen. Venge. At this point though, in the US, its only available in 1x. It appears to be a perfect crit bike if that's what you intend to use it for. The Caad12 looks pretty great too... more of an all-around bike though and its available in 2x, so if you want to do some serious climbing, its the better option.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

For those interested in the Allez Sprint 2x, I found out from my Specialized dealer yesterday that he heard end of March/early April for arrival. That is the last word he received. So the 2x should be here soon for those interested.

One thing that I don't like from photos is the way they routed the RD and how it enters the downtube and exists the downtube.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

tranzformer wrote:
One thing that I don't like from photos is the way they routed the RD and how it enters the downtube and exists the downtube.

i'm fine with the entry, but that exit looks funky. I'm guessing it has to do with how that bottom bracket is constructed.

Birdman

by Birdman

I have more of a problem with the rear brake cable routing... You will have friction all day with that many bends. Might as well rout them externally.

Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Everyone I know that has one has had no issue with the rear brake cable routing as far as friction. Take it for what it's worth....

Birdman

by Birdman

Do you know if they are routed with full length housing?
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Yup, they do.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

CAAD12. Allez sprint looks half-baked to me.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Looking at the CAAD12 lineup, it feels like Cannondale doesn't even know what direction to take the CAAD series now. Which is unfortunate.

I like what the Allez Sprint is showing. Looks well designed. Lots of R&D thrown at it. Initial ride reports and reviews are very favorable. How could it not? The Allez Sprint is stiffer than the Tarmac at the BB and equally stiff at the HT. Not to mention, very close to as aero as initial Venge at low yaw. Sounds like a win win to me. The aero is just a freebee imo.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

Ahillock wrote:Looking at the CAAD12 lineup, it feels like Cannondale doesn't even know what direction to take the CAAD series now. Which is unfortunate.

I like what the Allez Sprint is showing. Looks well designed. Lots of R&D thrown at it. Initial ride reports and reviews are very favorable. How could it not? The Allez Sprint is stiffer than the Tarmac at the BB and equally stiff at the HT. Not to mention, very close to as aero as initial Venge at low yaw. Sounds like a win win to me. The aero is just a freebee imo.

Agree on all fronts, and I own one. It was a bit of a risk ordering one when I did, but the risk paid off. Great bike.

I've seen a CAAD12 in the wild and it didn't do anything to wow me. The new owner didn't have anything glowing to say about it. I can't fault it though, it is tried and true and I don't think Cannondale went too far off script with it. The Spesh on the other hand is something new and I think they did a pretty great job with it, cable routing not withstanding (it's not horrible and everything works great, I am just nitpicking it)

cloudnine

by cloudnine

I'm looking to get an Allez Sprint too.. but now that I see the cable routing, I have got reservations.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

The Allez Sprint looks wicked and is far more unusual. CAAD12 does nothing for me personally.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

doubleD

by doubleD

An example of a CAAD12 built up by the engineer who developed the bike, Jonathan Schottler. This frame came in at 1098g with black anodized treatment, size 56cm.

He has it set up with the SAVE 25.4mm post. DA Rd and Fd, Schwalbe One tires set up on some early prototypes of the Hollowgram SiSL tubeless wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD997

by CAAD997

From the respective web sites:

Specialized Edition Allez Sprint X1
$3,750
SRAM Force 1
Roval CL 64 carbon aero wheels
proprietary carbon seat post

Cannondale CAAD12 Red
$3,200
SRAM Red
Mavic Ksyrium WTS
25.4 round aluminum seat post

Assuming that you like the ride from both, the Specialized looks like a more financially attractive purchase with the wheels and the slick looking seat post.
Two wheelers rock!