Go with Specialized Allez Sprint or Cannondale CAAD12?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

caad10/12 is the illest amateur bicycle frameset out there. #aluminati.

with that being said. allez sprint is going to be very very cool

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

broncr

by broncr

I got the Allez Sprint 2016 frameset with no FD and I'm in the process of building it up. The main question that I have is for the rear brake cable routing. It has a grommet at the top tub entry point as if you are supposed to install a ferrule and have bare cable in the tube. But the exit point does not accommodate a ferrule which makes me assume that they expect you to run full cable housing down the entire length of the top tube. Does anyone know if full top tube brake cable routing is the expected procedure as per Specialized?

stk57

by stk57

broncr wrote:Does anyone know if full top tube brake cable routing is the expected procedure as per Specialized?

I own one 2017 Comp and yes, it's all along the top tube:
Vital MTB Album

Confirmed on this post & picture too :
Specialized Edition Allez Sprint 2X

Mine is the stock length, no issue so far (2 month, 10 rides/week). Maybe I'll go shorter on the next maintenance. I can get more precise pics of this part if you want an better idea.

The bike rocks by the way. I'll just plan a wheelset update after Santa visits us.

-STK-

phlip

by phlip

I am also considering the CAAD12 and Allez for my next bicycle. What is the disadvantage of cable housing all along the cable as pictured on the above photo? Is there noticeably more friction?

CrankAddictsRich wrote:The Caad12 looks pretty great too... more of an all-around bike though and its available in 2x, so if you want to do some serious climbing, its the better option.

Is the Allez Spring not available in 2x in your region?

Btw, would geometry of either bike make a difference for climbing or long distance cycling?

CAAD997

by CAAD997

phlip wrote:
Btw, would geometry of either bike make a difference for climbing or long distance cycling?

I rode a Cannondale Synapse [touring geometry] for years and was concerned about jumping to a CAAD 10. The geometry difference (12mm lower bars, etc.) was noticeable for the first two rides, and then it seemed normal. I ride for a max of about 2.5 hours just because it is hard to find that much time. I really like my 2015 CAAD 10.
Two wheelers rock!

BRM

by BRM

burninglegs wrote:I know the Allez Sprint is just coming out so there are limited reviews or experience with it. But I like what I have read so far about it. Same with the CAAD12, really good reviews. Both have nice geometries that will work easily for me. A little change in stem length there or a shorter spacer there will make it all work for me. So not worried about the geometries.

Is there any reason why I should or shouldn't go with one?

Noone knows how you are going to use the bike, your expectations and personal preferences.
So how can people advice you? Based on what? Its amazing that noone have asked you. Tells me that most of the members here still not have any clue how to proper choose a bike.

Both are in their catagories reasonable overall performing bikes, reviews however need to be taken with a grain of salt.
I know multiple magazines where most bikereviews ends at -7 to +7 (on a scale of 1-10) Just to keep the manufacturer satisfied enough to advertise in the magazine. Most so called reviews write what you want to read, knowing you're out on confirmation of your thoughts. You have "this" bike in mind and read all kinds of positive "facts". Its a way commerce works. The one with best commercial talk, sels the most. Doesn't mean you will have a bike that suits you . . .

stk57

by stk57

phlip wrote:Is the Allez Spring not available in 2x in your region?

The Allez 2x is now available almost everywhere, in Europe, including Germany and France, not just UK (which was still/kinda/fake european in 2015). I waited so loooong next year and almost try to import a 1x frameset from US to France. I finally got one of the first 2017 Specialized bike in august from my LBS.

IMHO, the CAAD are less specificaly aimed for crit and lunch ride fast sprint but CAAD lovers (and young racers) would and could do everything on it. As for now, I would rather climb and have long ride on my Roubaix than the Allez which is my commuter, short ride beast. But if you're limited to one, go for the CAAD.

-STK-