Fuji Transonic SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Does anyone know how this bike does in the wind tunnel against the Felt/Cervelo/Specialized/Trek? The frame weight looks good but not great. Fork weight is just okay. The price is awesome. I'll build it with an Easton EC90 Aero bar, DA9000 drivetrain and brakes with Red 22 crank, and Farsports 38/50mm wheels.

CamW

by CamW

Best I have: http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/11/ ... ike_389473

No idea whether they are tested with the same wheels. I suspect not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Birdman

by Birdman

Velonews did normalize them with the same wheels. I recall reading that article in print.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

53x12

by 53x12

Lelandjt wrote:Does anyone know how this bike does in the wind tunnel against the Felt/Cervelo/Specialized/Trek? The frame weight looks good but not great. Fork weight is just okay. The price is awesome. I'll build it with an Easton EC90 Aero bar, DA9000 drivetrain and brakes with Red 22 crank, and Farsports 38/50mm wheels.

Didn't test that well against the big 4. You are looking at being down 15-16 watts from them according to this.

Get a Cervelo S3 or S2 if you want aero. Just a little less aero than the S5 but about 100g lighter.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Thanks for posting that.

Squint

by Squint

If you read the article you'll find that it says that a lot of the difference was due to the wheels. If you account for the wheels and then put on good aero handlebars it closes the gap to like 5W.

53x12

by 53x12

Squint wrote:If you read the article you'll find that it says that a lot of the difference was due to the wheels. If you account for the wheels and then put on good aero handlebars it closes the gap to like 5W.

Zipp 404 fire strike were used as a control wheel set for the data I posted above.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Monte

by Monte

From what I can tell based on personal experience the Fuji has the best value for money ration compared to other bikes.
Having tested a S5 and my Fuji Transonic side by side i couldnt tell any difference while running the same wheelset on both them (FFWD F6R). For some people such marginal gains do make sense. But such small gains come in at a way too high price.

For now the Fuji is the best aerobike i could afford. Maybe in the future I'll buy myself a Cervlo S6 (S7? by then?)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

calleking

by calleking

I think that is a pretty good looking aero bike. If it looks good to you, feels good and fits you then you're all set :) The difference is really minimal and there's always the option to sit more aggressive, tighter clothing, lose some weight and/or smack on aero handlebars likesomeone mentioned.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I was offered the frameset for $1500. I already have all the parts I need to build it except Easton's new aero handlebar and the direct mount brakes. This will replace a 2008 Kestrel Talon SL that is pretty good but a little heavy, a little flexy, and a harsh ride. I think I'm gonna jump on it.

Monte

by Monte

The biggest bummer for me is that sram has yet to release a set od direct mount brakes. For now we're stuck with EEs, Dura Ace / Ultegra/105s and Bontragers Inhouse model

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

And the Tri-rig Omega X brake (at least for the front). If I was worried about shaving every last watt that thing would probably get the Fuji closer to the competition.