Rotor Q-ring question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Why bot use Fyberlytes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

jorisee01, well i'm here in the states so.. figure i give rotor and try first and see. if i like.. then will get fyberlytes.

ok now that i've got the outter ring for my sram red crank.. i need some help on this:

1) what's the torque setting for the bolts on the chainring?
2) i'm starting with position 3, but they only gave me 1 of these silver thingy.. what is it and do i install it here? or on the opposite side where it would be hidden under the crank arm? see photo.

3) do i need to match both inner and outer to the same position 3, or can i keep the outter at 3 and inner at 4?

only wish there's youtube vid on how to install these rotor QXL onto sram red cranks....

much appreciate.. :beerchug:

Krackor

by Krackor

1) Torque setting should be set based on your chainring bolts, not the chainrings.
2) The chain catcher pin goes behind the crank arm.
3) Official recommendation is to put both rings in the same OCP position, but some people have used different positions and reported it to work alright. Maybe you'll have a little more trouble shifting due to mismatched shift ramps?

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks Krackor.
1) Torque setting should be set based on your chainring bolts, not the chainrings. (that was what I originally wanted to mean... so do you know what the torque spec is?)
2) The chain catcher pin goes behind the crank arm. (good to know! i'll put that behind the crank arm.)

Krackor

by Krackor

To answer #1 it would be important to know what chainring bolts you have. :smartass:

addictR1

by addictR1

ok, finally got the inner chainring today.

i've removed the original sram red chainring. now trying to figure out how to install the QXL in position three onto the crank. i saw the video on youtube where for position three, it's aligned with the rotor crankarm.

full vid here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNDRtmQUlM

but since i'm using SRAM, would i do the same?

likewise, they've only provided 1 silver bolt thingy and on my friend's rotor setup with rotor crank, it's installed and hidden behind the crank arm. yet in the video it has two where 1 is at position 3.

anyone here running sram crank with these QXL rings? if so, can you post a pic of what it looks like installed?

much appreciated!!

EDIT: figured out how to get it lined up. with the sram crank, it's not exactly position 3, rather 3.5 or 2.5 with slight offset. now it's up and running and can't wait to test it out. shifts like butter without needing to use the FD shims.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Tinea Pedis wrote:I'll let you know as the road race season goes along. Thoughts after nearly a month of this set up is that it's a lot easier going from oval rings back to circular than it was initially going from round to ovalised. Can switch between the two with only about 5 minutes of it feeling a little different. After that point no worries with either.

What's your reflection now after a solid 3 months on using round on road and oval on TT bike mate?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Not sure there's much of a difference aside from my cadence being a tad lower. Power doesn't feel any different. I've actually had to start riding my bike with the Q-Rings fitted at the CAAD has had some mechanical issues, and noticed some knee pain that I'd had on days with big vert (on the CAAD/round rings) didn't occur yesterday when I did a long day in the hills.

So even though not power related, it's certainly a comfort factor I want to explore a little more. Otherwise no smoking gun to say either way that Q-Rings are good or bad*.

*for me, on a road bike.

addictR1

by addictR1

For me.. I've been riding on Rotor QXL for a while now and I do find climbing with it is much easy on my knees as compared to round. Also at times it felt like I can kept pushing down harder and harder... Felt like stepping on marshmallow at times during my climb. Guess it's like saddles.. A personal thing.

Today I had a new PR up this climb which my best was 2:15 with standard red compact on my Addict R1 to the top back in July 2014... And today with the QXL 52/36 on my new BMC TMR02... I climbed up in 2:08 with 36/24. And I wasn't even huffing and puffing. I don't race.. So this is just my personal feedback. I don't regret getting this setup... Now even looking for a QXL 50/34 to put on my Addict as dedicated climber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1415chris

by 1415chris

Is QXL 50/34 combo available?

addictR1

by addictR1

Yup... But hard to find on ebay. Or there is an authorized Rotor store that sells the set for $299.99.. Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krackor

by Krackor

You'll lose quite a bit of ovality in 34t since the minor axis can't get smaller than the 110 BCD. If you want the QXL ovality it would be better to go 36t and a larger cassette cog.

addictR1

by addictR1

That's what I figured too.

Here is the site that sells the compact version.

So went and bought a second set of QXL 52/36t! [emoji106]