Internal / External Cable routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

briantumma

by briantumma

Hi all,
Just wanted to pick brains for what's the best way to route cables.
I'm cleaning up an old Wilier frame and was looking at perhaps changing the current external alloy hangers for carbon versions (save those few grams!)
But then I was thinking of maybe changing it to internal.
Do most internally routed frames split the outer at cable in and cable out? Or do they just run the outer all the way through?
I can see splitting the outer would be lighter but I'm guessing it's more important to get clean cable splits.
What do you think would be best?
thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

cables are split, hydraulic and eletronic wires does not split

AJS914

by AJS914

On my C59, the outer rear brake cable goes all the way through the frame. There is also a small tube running through the frame so you just slide it through without any routing headaches.

Marin

by Marin

That makes it heavier AND more cumbersome than internal...

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm sure it's heavier but it was the easiest install of any bike I've ever put together.

Birdman

by Birdman

How do you change a frame made for external routing into internal routing? Drilling?

I was in an internal routing craze few years ago, not any more. Unless the entry and exit angles are well designed (very few frames are) then it creates a lot of cable friction, not worth it in my opinion.

Di2 and hydraulic are totally different story though.
Cervelo R3 MUD ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=136544
Specialized Allez Gold ~ viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134419

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Full length cable housings are heavier and not as stiff as a split cable with cable stops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

briantumma

by briantumma

Birdman wrote:How do you change a frame made for external routing into internal routing? Drilling?

I was in an internal routing craze few years ago, not any more. Unless the entry and exit angles are well designed (very few frames are) then it creates a lot of cable friction, not worth it in my opinion.

Di2 and hydraulic are totally different story though.

It would involve drilling a hole. I was thinking of designing a 'port' and 3D printing it but I'm not entirely sure a 3D printed plastic part will be tough enough unless over-engineered which kind of negates the weight saving. I also knew that cable line would be key to avoid the inevitable roughness.

I've designed a simple new hanger which I'm planning to make out of carbon and bond to the frame - hopefully it should be strong enough and save a little weight compared to the current riveted alloy hanger.