Please recommend a light and reliable bottle cage.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

booyah

by booyah

AlphaDogCycling wrote:King Ti cages - clean aesthetic, great bottle hold, virtually indestructible, and lastly won't mark your bottles

Use these on my mountain bike and cyclocross. 28g and have never had a bottle eject from them. They'll probably outlast my bikes.

PSM

by PSM

han1337 wrote:Ax lightness nasdarowje
Expensive but perfect...

Worst cages I've ever had.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

DrJeffers wrote:What's wrong with the good old Elite Custom Race!?

Cheap as chips, secure, robust, plenty of colours for frame matching, hardly exactly heavy, and at least half the world tour pros use them! Spending too long over-thinking bottle cages is a strong warning sign you are heading down the gear rabbit hole, imho! :D

LOL - if you're posting on "Weight Weenies" you're well down that rabbit hole too mate!

Those are great cages but are far too heavy for a WW bike
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mai

by mai

arundel mandibles - reasonable price, light, good looking and holes my camelbaks properly. best i've ever had

salesguy

by salesguy

Shimano PRO cages have worked well for me. The UD carbon ones are nice and reasonably light, and the fiberglass ones work great as well, much cheaper so decent for a training bike when you don't want to spend $50 on a cage.

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

LOL - if you're posting on "Weight Weenies" you're well down that rabbit hole too mate!

Quite far down, but trying to keep a grip on the rope back up to reality!

Anyway, my pride and joy is a Colnago C60. Wrong frame to be worrying about shaving off 10gms off bottle cages i reckon. Perhaps Colnago owners (and Pinarello for that matter) need a different forum - 'posh-but-a-bit-less-weenie-bikes.com' ;)

velomane

by velomane

Mandibles here as well. No issues in many years of use.

Bogan

by Bogan

Bontrager RXL's.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

davidalone

by davidalone

If you like the custom race, try the Elite Sior. grips bottles very tight and has many similar attributes to the custom race

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

I have used the Sior previously but actually find it grips the bottles a little TOO tightly for my liking. A bit too much yanking needed for me!

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

Ultra light - Tune Wassertrager 2
Very light - Arundle Mandible

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

If you're still interested in more info, I've just posted up a review of the Tune Wassertrager 2 on my page. Check it out by clicking here.

Dollar for dollar and gram for gram it's a great contender that doesn't sacrifice form or function.

Conza

by Conza

Hi team,

Need some help finding the perfect cage for this. Weight doesn't reaaaaaally matter (mostly aesthetics).

What I found was perfect I think — 21g. $33... AUD.

Elite Vico Carbon matte black / grey... just like the bike. Except apparently they only work well with Elite water bottles..

I use camelbak / Rapha ones.. which I believe will be an issue.

Anything else you think will go well and work? :shock:
It's all about the adventure :o .

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Smud 4grms , best cage I have used so far , I also have a 4 grm tune cage but the smud is better.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Personally, when I see a post about light cages in WW I’d like to think of something below 10grm. I’ve looked for <10 grm cages that fit most bottles and don’t break or trap/loose bottles. Harder to find than one would think really. Especially without spending a fortune. Then again, after close to a dozen types I think for the time being I’ll settle for these knock off Lightweight ones. Close enough for now!!ImageImage
These above were/are my favourite, but they broke the bottom tab in a couple after years of use. I had a pair in several bikes but now use a single one in most bikes holding a cut off bottle with my spare tubular. Fairwheels Bikes used to sell them (New Ultimate?) but haven’t seen them for sale in ages. Used to be $65 each (ouch!!)
Mandibles are reliable and bullet proof, but deform every bottle I’ve used, are heavy, and are hard to get bottle in/out. Awesome design though!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com