TOUR MAG AERO TEST 2016

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

Worth noting this: "Katusha's Joaquim Rodriguez was the first rider to receive Canyon's Aeroad CF SLX, courtesy of Walzer's 1600km drive from Koblenz to Barcelona. Its predecessor served as his spare bike at the Tour."

Nice that Walzer believed the Aeroad CF SLX was important enough for El Purito and could make a difference, that Walzer drove 1600km just to make sure El Purito would have the bike and be able to use it. Also lets not forget that Walzer "offers wind tunnel testing" as part of his services to the teams. So much for just "feelings." No need for a wind tunnel if you can just optimize your position and bike equipment by "feelings."
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

53x12 wrote:Worth noting this: "Katusha's Joaquim Rodriguez was the first rider to receive Canyon's Aeroad CF SLX, courtesy of Walzer's 1600km drive from Koblenz to Barcelona. Its predecessor served as his spare bike at the Tour."

Nice that Walzer believed the Aeroad CF SLX was important enough for El Purito and could make a difference, that Walzer drove 1600km just to make sure El Purito would have the bike and be able to use it. Also lets not forget that Walzer "offers wind tunnel testing" as part of his services to the teams. So much for just "feelings." No need for a wind tunnel if you can just optimize your position and bike equipment by "feelings."

A current multi-time TdF stage winner received a fresh bike because there was a photo-story for a popular german mag. The same rider has his sponsor-correct glasses with him in case somebody takes pics so he can switch from an incorrect Oakley Jawbreaker. Another neo-WT-pro is obliged to ride Zipp 404's during _every_ training ride on his Canyon, probably a general rule for every rider there.

Both are frequently with our training group so no out-of-butt talking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

knukkeltje

by knukkeltje

kgt wrote:Canyon's team liaison Andreas Walzer:
"The aero bike or the climbing bike? Di2 or mechanical transmission? 40mm rims or 60mm? The fixed, one-piece carbon cockpit, or the greater field of adjustment offered by a conventional aluminium bar and stem? For Andreas Walzer, Canyon's team liaison to Katusha and Movistar, it is almost entirely a matter of rider psychology. “The riders have to believe, and this is more important than anything else,” he says. “If they are confident that they have the best material, that they have chosen it, that they have changed the position of the levers, for example, then they are ready."

Walzer says that riders choose what they believe is the fastest for them, because that will make them feel most comfortable / give most confidence.
He does not say that what they choose is actually the fastest for them.

I agree with this qoute.

kgt

by kgt

What Walzer says is pretty clear IMO.

imhockey

by imhockey

Here is what others do in the industry:

Beta Sweep
The drag is taken at zero yaw, that is, with the bike facing into a direct headwind. Then, a turret on which the balance sits is turned according to a “beta schedule”. This is the series of angles the model will be rotated to during a run for collecting data. Cervélo was using a self-defined protocol named “Beta Schedule 5” that tested angles of 20, 15, 12.5, 10, 7.5, 5, 0 -5, -7.5 -10, -12.5, -15, -20, 0. According to Cervélo, in areas where the data shows the most variation more yaw angles are tested, whereas in areas where data is—from experience—less variant, a larger gap between angles is sufficient.

During each step in the beta sweep the tunnel operator will wait until the data is stable and then hit a “capture” button. The data is captured at a rate of 15 samples per second for 10 seconds and when it’s complete the balance automatically moves to the next beta angle on the beta schedule. At this point the tunnel operator may need to adjust the fan motor power output to maintain a consistent wind velocity in the test section as the “apparent” size of the model may block the air, and increase the wind speed. Once wind speed is normal, and the drag numbers stabilize, the operator hits the capture button. The beta schedule that Cervélo was using at this test took approximately 20 minutes per run.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/A_Day_in ... _2198.html

i found this link very informative and a great insight into the industry. it changed my mind on a few things...thanks for posting it.

Dez33

by Dez33

53x12 wrote: No need for a wind tunnel if you can just optimize your position and bike equipment by "feelings."

Welcome to Team Sky's marginal gains ...... /sarcasm

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Well. I was surprised how modest aero advantage Vias has..
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Since my nice F8 is total loss after a crash (car hit me) I think I am going for a Madone 9.9.... so I will be able to feel the difference between those 2 horses ;-)
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

bungis

by bungis

A love the little blurb tucked away about handlebar width aero testing that goes something like this:
"Oh btw handlebar width makes more difference than frames."

djconnel

by djconnel

The importance of the handlebar was highlighted by the new Cervélo S5, where most of the aerodynamic gain relative to the predecessor came from a new aerodynamically optimized bar.

I am surprised how (with the same wheels) tight the Felt AR, Cervélo S5, and Madone 7 are: the Madone was supposed to be evolutionary. I'm also shocked how poorly the Venge Vias does. Remember "5 minutes per hour?" Remember all of the journalists riding a hilly circuit near Morgan Hill and reporting on their improved speed on the Vias? Interesting how Tour simply doesn't get the same results.

In any case, nice work by Trek.

wingguy

by wingguy

djconnel wrote:I'm also shocked how poorly the Venge Vias does. Remember "5 minutes per hour?"

I just went back and looked at that and to be fair the '5 minutes' referred to Vias + Roval + Evade + Skinsuit + Shoes. Also, to be fair, the Vias does very, very well in Tour's aero test. Equal first with the Madone.

It sucks in Tour's simulated ride because the simulation involves climbing and the Vias is a *f##k* heavy pig of a bike. And this being the forum that it is, that means it's crap and no-one who posts here should ever buy one :wink:

And journos get won over by being wined and dined and brainwashed like everyone else. I remember when Mavics last gen CC40s were released and the Bikeradar reviewer said they made him 2 miles an hour faster. He could have stopped and thought about the mechanics of that for 15 seconds and realised he was talking bollocks but hey, he was in the south of France on a free holiday and Mavic were being nice to him...

KWalker

by KWalker

djconnel wrote:The importance of the handlebar was highlighted by the new Cervélo S5, where most of the aerodynamic gain relative to the predecessor came from a new aerodynamically optimized bar.

I am surprised how (with the same wheels) tight the Felt AR, Cervélo S5, and Madone 7 are: the Madone was supposed to be evolutionary. I'm also shocked how poorly the Venge Vias does. Remember "5 minutes per hour?" Remember all of the journalists riding a hilly circuit near Morgan Hill and reporting on their improved speed on the Vias? Interesting how Tour simply doesn't get the same results.

In any case, nice work by Trek.

5 minutes per hour compared to the non-aero setup- alloy wheels, normal kit, a Tarmac or Roubaix as the bike. They weren't saying 5min over everyone else or even the old Venge.

I'd also wager that the Morgan Hill test course has fewer climbs and shorter climbs than what was in the Tour model.

The point of the 5 minutes campaign was to show people precisely how much aerodynamic optimization could matter and which products from Specialized contribute to the delta. They used their products not only to launch new products, but to simplify the equation for people a bit. Moreover, the demonstration was that all the components work as a system. We all know how much skinsuits are worth and a good helmet, which plays into that 5 minutes. Add in lower crr tires on a frame with aero wheels designed specifically for that frame and there's another part of the system. Same with the zany bars and stem. People seem to forget that the campaign was not about aero supremacy versus all competitors on all courses, but on the type of course many people ride and race on combining many aero components can provide you with a margin likely outside of what most normal cyclists would predict.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

RyanH

by RyanH

Which of these frames take 28mm tires? The Madone does, any others?

Oswald

by Oswald

wingguy wrote:And journos get won over by being wined and dined and brainwashed like everyone else. I remember when Mavics last gen CC40s were released and the Bikeradar reviewer said they made him 2 miles an hour faster. He could have stopped and thought about the mechanics of that for 15 seconds and realised he was talking bollocks but hey, he was in the south of France on a free holiday and Mavic were being nice to him...

Also, if they don't write a good review, they will lose advertising. You would be shocked if you knew how much a full page add costs in a magazine. It costs a few thousand Euro for just 1 page. So, if a publisher had 3 magazines (for instance 1 for roadbikes, 1 mtb and 1 trekking) and an advertiser decides to quit advertising for a while because of a bad review, the publisher will lose tens of thousands of Euros...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

RyanH wrote:Which of these frames take 28mm tires? The Madone does, any others?

I've got Zipp SL Speed 27mm Tubs on Zipp 404s wheels on my BMC TMR01with no issues at all.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12