supersix himod or caad 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dennistwowheels

by Dennistwowheels

I have been lurking for a while now but now is the time to start a topic. So much in doubt about the choice for a new bike i needed to make an account to ask you guys opinion.
My first proper road bike, a ridley damocles from 2012, has developed a crack at the chainstay and i decided i wanted to replace it. I absolutely enjoyed riding this bike for the past 2,5 years but now i would like to take a seat on something more performance oriented. Last season was my first season of racing and i want to step it up to cat 3 coming season.
I will use the bike for racing ( up to 2 crit like races a week) training ( high speed/interval stuff) and about twice a year in more mountainous areas of europe. It is important to add here that i live in the Netherlands which is almost completely flat.

I have already narrowed it down to two choices, but still open for options though;

1:
2nd hand caad10 frameset, custom painted in red, white decals and black forks
Campy bora one 50mm tubs or 2nd hand Mavic CCU's
Campy super record 2015 groupset

2:
Unused supersix evo himod team edition 2014
2nd hand Mavic CCU's or Enve 4.5's (figured the campy bora's would make the bike look to messy)
Campy chorus 2015 groupset

Other parts i will transfer from my old bike:
Rotor 3d+ with P2M powermeter
3T rotundo pro
Selle san marco regale carbon fx

Based upon performance/ weight the supersix is a no brainer, but as a visually minded person i feel very attracted to the amateur race looks of the caad 10, especially since i plan to get it custom painted in red. On the other hand i do not want to miss out on the supposedly fabolous ride quality of the supersix. Thing is, i do not like the paint scheme that much.
Price difference for the frame is about 230 euros. Total budget is around 4000 euros.
So, i am hoping for some suggestions that will help me make the choice. And will keep you updated along the way of building this bike.

Regards,

Devon

by Devon

A few points to note.

1. Wheels looking messy? Remove decals?
2. Earlier CAAD10's came in red from the factory - may be easier/cheaper to find one of those?

I would definitely go for the CAAD. With the options you've specified you'll end up with a better group set and wheels - with a frame that is just as light, and a lot more durable. Carbon is so last year :wink:

As a side note, if you got the all-black CAAD and stuck the Enve 4.5's on... :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ezra

by Ezra

Supersix. Caad10 is good for aluminum, but the Supersix is one of the best riding carbon frames. A small step down in group is fine and can be upgraded more easily.

Devon

by Devon

It can be one of the best riding carbon frames until the cows come home; but if high-end aluminium rides better...?

Perspective, really.

Edit: Before someone takes this too seriously - I know the benefits of carbon; I just don't think it's always wise to assume something is better simply based on the fact it's made from carbon.
Last edited by Devon on Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kgt

by kgt

IMHO a high-end aluminium can never ride better than a hi-end carbon. At least for competitive riding.
For commuting or cruising at cool tempos a nice steel frame is still the best choise.

Devon

by Devon

Back on topic, have you had the chance to ride both OP? That would be my first point of call.

Dennistwowheels

by Dennistwowheels

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies. I have not ridden either of the two, my preference for these two is solely based upon the good reviews online and the topics on this forum.

Initially my preference was a kinesis aithein, but the orange version won't be in stock untill january. And i really don't want to wait with training !

aidenmoon

by aidenmoon

ive ridden 3 evo himods so far.. currently a 2014 one with lightweight ventoux
it's been algud on both even lands and hills for me.. recommended
but im just a bit curious why campy groupset? i mean.. ive been using shimano 9000 sets and.. i thort they looked better
do you have any special reasons? thanks

happy shopping!

Dennistwowheels

by Dennistwowheels

My preference for Campagnolo is based upon good looks, the shape of the hoods, and my preference to support a smaller company.
But i must say dura ace feels really smooooth.

mgoles

by mgoles

super six hi-mod for sure...

Devon

by Devon

Good job the Kinesis is out of stock; we can't have another Campy Aithein in Orange on the forum ;) (see my signature)

You can often pick them up for a killer deal on ebay; there's always a few in the medium sizes. Worth a look.

EDIT: There's a 56 in Orange in the outlet section of Upgrade Bikes at the moment - http://outlet.upgradebikes.co.uk/Outlet ... 6cm-Orange
Last edited by Devon on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Just something to consider. If you're planning on racing it, you need to take into account the possibility of replacing the frame (assuming you like the bike and want the same/similar experience). CAAD10 would be cheaper (new/second hand).

I use the CAAD for commuting, sub par weather, and racing. My EVO is a fair weather bike for the most part. It sees a lot of group rides, climbs and century events.

:beerchug:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

tinozee

by tinozee

Suit the choice to your riding. Evo hi mod all the way for me. I like to stay top fit all year and ideal is fast 100-150 mile rides. And racing on weekends. Around 14-20 hours per week on the bike. But if you ride 6 hours a week and race short criteriums the Caad is a fine choice. It's fast and pretty, but Caad is too harsh for all out 5 hour effort imo. Even Tarmac (my old team bike) was harsh compared to evo himod. This comfort and performance is beyond tire choice yada yada, it's the frame that matters here. Trust me, the himod works with you in almost a magical way. Sounds weird but it's perfectly balanced. The way you feel stepping off the bike after a brutal fast long ride is telling. Also the way it feels to ride sweet spot for hours, the himod just goes on like an extension of the body, so smooth and fast.
Last edited by tinozee on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devon

by Devon

nobuseri wrote:I use the CAAD for commuting, sub par weather, and racing. My EVO is a fair weather bike for the most part. It sees a lot of group rides, climbs and century events.

That's the way I'd go. Cheap bike for racing for sure!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com